Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Queens R2: De Schepper def Gulbis 7-6 7-5

NID that he was going to lose to a mug after a GS semifinal and #10.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

This era sucks so bad it ain't even funny ... I guess he went further than just a cigar with his coach after the semi?

·
Registered
755 Posts

i see Gulbis had his break out slam and from now on wont have random loses to mugs....
:spit::spit:

·
Registered
21,283 Posts

Wow, amazing stuff. Tennis won big time here.

VamosRafaNadal must be so overjoyed by this.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Bloke just reached a french open semi final and lost in gruelling heat.... then travels over the England and plays his first match on grass at Queens against a one ball bash servebot lefty that's already had some matches to get used to the surface..... and yet you're all suprised?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

:spit: Well, at least he gifted "top-10" win to Challenger level mug.

I didn't expect much from Gulbis in this tournament (he said it himself something along the lines "If I lose, I lose [in the first round], the main goal is to get ready for Wimbledon"), but this loss was very dissapointing. He was clearly the better player for the 90% of that match, but made disgusting UEs when it really mattered. Had 0/6 on BPs in 1st set as well.

He is still in the doubles here and he is on the list for Boodles 2014 so he can get the practice on grass courts. I still think he can play great tennis on the surface, but it really does seem like this is/will be his worst surface by a clear mile.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Not expected loss, but wasn´t sure about Ernie winning this, De Schepper already played on grass, Gulbis not and i still think grass is his worst surface. He has big serve, but his net game is not good, his slice isn´t nothing extra and his movement on grass sucks. Good victory for De Schepper, but he had 6 bp should have break his serve at least 1x. Haven´t faced BP himself and than 2nd set 6-5 1st and 2nd bp vs him and easy BH error to the net... at least to tie-break he should have take him at least to tie-break

·
Registered
5,667 Posts

I don't think Ernie is such a good grass-courter. Fast surface should favour his game with powerful shots but the tempo of grass game is too fast for him, not enough time to prepare shots.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Not expected loss, but wasn´t sure about Ernie winning this, De Schepper already played on grass, Gulbis not and i still think grass is his worst surface. He has big serve, but his net game is not good, his slice isn´t nothing extra and his movement on grass sucks. Good victory for De Schepper, but he had 6 bp should have break his serve at least 1x. Haven´t faced BP himself and than 2nd set 6-5 1st and 2nd bp vs him and easy BH error to the net... at least to tie-break he should have take him at least to tie-break
You don't need to be a good vollier to be good on grass, just have the ability to deal with all sorts of changes in pace and low skidding balls off the surface.

Gulbis has huge backswings off both the forehand and backhand sides, so yeah he doesn't really have the game for grass. Nothing to do with net-play tho, only time people come to the net now a days is to finish off players whom push / moonball from the back. (Which is done on any surface)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

I don't think Ernie is such a good grass-courter. Fast surface should favour his game with powerful shots but the tempo of grass game is too fast for him, not enough time to prepare shots.
agree with this + his new FH when he use his other hand to AIM:D he needs slower pace to prepare that FH

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

You don't need to be a good vollier to be good on grass, just have the ability to deal with all sorts of changes in pace and low skidding balls off the surface.

Gulbis has huge backswings off both the forehand and backhand sides, so yeah he doesn't really have the game for grass. Nothing to do with net-play tho, only time people come to the net now a days is to finish off players whom push / moonball from the back. (Which is done on any surface)
Yes i know there is more, just write that stuff about ,,grass game,, but overall his game is not suited for grass, he needs more time, but some people think big serve - grass genius - ask Isner or Raonic both suck on grass - but another reasons than Gulbis, he is more clay court - indoor HC type - best surfaces i think

1 - 20 of 67 Posts