Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
grass is not helping denis turn his season around. since making the semis in miami denis has gone 2-9. even before that he wasnt exactly lighting it up

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Routine win for Delpo, he slipped in the end of that match and was stretching the knee, so hopefully it's nothing serious.

Shapovalov is definetely not a player who will be successful if he doesn't change anything. He's not only error-prone, but makes bad tactical decisions and his return and BH are poor.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yet another tough R1 loss for Denis. delPo looked sluggish but served really well. It wasn't good tennis, mostly a servefest and (sigh), yes Denis ROS still needs to improve. I don't think he's in a real slump but I fear his self confidence is frittering away. His game is currently rudderless which goes hand in hand with not having a proper coach.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yet another tough R1 loss for Denis. delPo looked sluggish but served really well. It wasn't good tennis, mostly a servefest and (sigh), yes Denis ROS still needs to improve. I don't think he's in a real slump but I fear his self confidence is frittering away. His game is currently rudderless which goes hand in hand with not having a proper coach.
Yes, the lack of good coaching is at the heart of the problem. I notice the little wolf is finally gone, thank goodness. I always found that silly. Denis' game is literally falling apart, and part of it is his confidence. I'm coming to the conclusion that he might not have what it takes to make it on the tour. Even with Marty, who is a very experienced coach, his results were mediocre. I honestly wonder if the few successes we've seen were just a bit of a fluke, as they've been few and far between. I did believe, for a long while, that he could be a future great, but now, I wonder.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Haters probably thought Denis wouldn't reach a single deuce on Del Potros serve, but he showed them. :armed:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Rough stretch continues for Denis.

I feel like he's close but just can't seem to stay consistent throughout a match.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Denis needs someone coaching him on strategy. To build a successful career in today's tennis, you need consistency. He has the talent and the tools, but butches the execution.

Rough draw this time though, Del Potro is strong as usual. That guy would have probably been #1 at one point if it wasn't for all the injuries. Good to see him still fight on though. His movement isn't as good as it was, but he can still let loose that rocket forehand.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The slippery of Delpo did not look too bad when I saw it live on the BBC, he could finish without any problem the match on his serve in the next game. He did not talk about this at the interview with the BBC reporter. Hopefully, he will wake up fine tomorrow and be able to continue the tournament. I prefer to stay optimistic even if I know how fragile is the Tower of Tandil.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Shap wasn't too bad, just a typical tight grass match when one player dipping a little on serve decided things.

Really hope it's nothing serious for Del Potro, guy certainly deserves a break from the Tennis gods.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Thought either Del Potro or Lopez must have withdrawn as their match isn't on tomorrow's OOP. I saw Del Potro slip on the grass today and it looked like he jarred his knee and didn't look comfortable afterwards.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Never-ending injuries... Delpo's body just can't stand professional tennis for a long time.
It's not sure at all if he plays in Wimbledon too.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
We now have to wait the gravity of the injury as no communication has been made after the medical studies. Hopefully, he only retired to take any risk before Wimbledon, if not that would be another huge blow before the most important tournament of the year...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts