Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the 1st round lineup for Queens.

Stan Vs Dan
Delpo Vs Shapo
Tsitsipas vs Edmund
Dimug vs FAA

And all the other 1st round matches are interesting to watch hell even the current R2 ones are with Cilic and Blanderson. Halle is filled with uninteresting mugs.

On top of the obviously MUCH better field at Queens there is the much better court quality and atmosphere.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Weall, yeah it has a slightly better lineup, but I actually think the two tournaments are not so far off this year. Usually, Queens has all the best players except Federer, but it's a bit more balanced this time. Probably because Djokovic/Murray/Nadal aren't playing.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Peak bias, I´m sure all players mentioned are grass masters and have a lot of titles on grass, gosh, even Coric has a title and Zverev a final, and the fact that there isn´t even a big 3 this year makes this thread even more biased. Court quality? Atmosphere? sure

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
This should really be a grasscourt MS event someday.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nobody outside South Africa cares for HaHalle.
An idiotic comment with uncreative and unfunny nicknames, classic Andrej, as usual I'd like to point out this 'man' is 30 years old.

Queens is a fantastic event and I'm sure a lot of players prefer not having to travel far again until they're eliminated at Wimbledon, it will be like a break for them not having to constantly travel across a continent or huge country like Australia or the US, I don't know if there is players doing it but I'd find it ridiculous if someone is going Halle-Antalya-Wimbledon.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Of course, it is obvious that many players want to avoid playing Federer and they know he has a life time contract at Halle, so not so many have the courage it takes.

It almost goes without saying that having Federer playing raises the quality of the tournament.

Also, Halle's grass plays faster, so players that prefer slow to medium courts like Wawrinka prefer Queens.

But as far as the tournament goes, Halle has a roof, and probably the best roof in the business. No acclimatization time needed because of open design, and it closes/opens in 88 seconds, about the same time as a changeover. A roof alone is enough in this day and age to give Halle the nod. No finals washed out, like at Queens Club. There is also room to expand if they ever decided to make Halle a Grass Masters event, while there is no room at Queens Club. Queen's club's stadium capacity is also rather small, 8500-9000 at most, while the Halle stadion is over 12,000. Queen's club has the advantage of convenience being closely located to Wimbledon, but also has the tax disadvantage.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Halle should have a better lineup just because of taxes. The queen demands a great part of it.
The argument about Queens beeing close to Wimby then Halle is not even a point.

Federer played/plays Dubai instead of Acapulco.

This year queens is a better draw then Halle.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Halle has a far worse reputation than it should have. Unfortunately it happens to be during the only couple of weeks certain people watch tennis, so this tournament is regularly suffering from ultra-intelligent threads that measure the field by stupidely counting top 10/20 players and rate players like Botnic or Isner as more attractive to watch than Tsitsipas, Rublev or Pouille for instance.

However, OP is right that the Queens field is much deeper this year than Halles even though the amount of top players is actually the same and Halle could have been even stronger in that regard without the withdrawals of Thiem and Nishikori.
Think this is actually the weakest field Halle has had in recent years, with good players like Tsitsipas and Pouille unfortunately having switched to London this year. 2017 was probably the field with the biggest depth (arguably deeper than Queens'), the second round match-ups were as good as it gets for an ATP 500, but also the year where the whining was the strongest for the reasons I mentioned.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts