Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been saying that Diego is very underrated on grass, and since he has a mental advantage towards Cilic after the USO victory, the beast from Buenos Aires beat the Croat as expected (for me at least)

Next, Pouille/Medvedev! Vamos!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
While some other mugs haven't even started their first round matches, Schwarzus Longus casually reaches the 3rd round. :armed:

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
marin was just awful. grass is not helping him either. just not playing well this year. he's not even okay, he's just a mess. didnt generate 1 break point on schwartzman's serve that 2nd set..that should tell you something about how bad he is

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
Cilic is finished. Losing to Schwartzman on grass is a new low for him and the last 12 months have been filled with lows for him.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
and can i just note what idiotic scheduling this is to play a 2nd round before finishing the first round matches that have yet to even start. what kind of idiots are these people. logic would dictate you get those first round on court before anything else

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wasn't Mugrin talking just recently about winning another Slam? How embarrassing! Have no fear, little Diego is here! No disrespect to Schwartzman but Cilic should not be losing to him on grass. Diego has 3-8 record on this surface...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Diego is playing a lot in doubles recently, it helps playing on grass. So I'm not surprised by this result, especially that he has a great return.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I only watched a few last games. Cilic was dreadful. He showed good signs on clay - nowhere near his regular level, but some improvement relative to earlier this year. However, none of that showed up today. He keeps sliding down in the rankings. #17 in LR already.

Props to Schwartzman, who was casually outacing his opponent towards the end. :p

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
That's 450+ points down the drain for Cilic - he's in danger of slipping out of the top 20 soon the way things are going...

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Cilic down to 17 in the live rankings. If this wasn't Wimbledon where they adjust the seedings according to grass court form over two years, this would be a fourth round prospect that many players would not look forward to (that's if he gets that far).

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
499 Posts
God knows what happened almost a year ago when Cilic was 2 sets up on Pella, as the rain delay came and he somehow lost the match. He hasn’t been remotely the same since.

The fact that he’s not even an top50 players this year (#52 in the live race) is just odd. 10-10 W/L in 10 tournaments too.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
That's 450+ points down the drain for Cilic - he's in danger of slipping out of the top 20 soon the way things are going...
He is still out of top-50 in the race, juuuust above Anderson and Berdych who barely played this season.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Before this week, Diego was 1-8 on grass in his career. Is he doing a Jo Konta on clay?

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can a player with 2-8 record on surface be underrated on it?
when he gets the chance he will rise mate. (half-trolling I admit) but Diego is relaxed when he sees Marin in front of the draw sheet.

I only watched a few last games. Cilic was dreadful. He showed good signs on clay - nowhere near his regular level, but some improvement relative to earlier this year. However, none of that showed up today. He keeps sliding down in the rankings. #17 in LC already.

Props to Schwartzman, who was casually outacing his opponent towards the end. :p
What does LC stand for? Laver Cup? Live Rankings I could guess but the C confused me.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
He is still out of top-50 in the race, juuuust above Anderson and Berdych who barely played this season.
Yes, was being generous just considering the next few weeks, but the longer-term prospects for him are indeed dire.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Still 10 away from 500. He should get there, but he's making it hard on himself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts