Johnson vs Edmund

bottom half
Estrella Burgos vs Melzer
Saville vs Smyczek
Murray vs Bhambri
Matosevic vs Kudryavtsev
Goffin vs Russell
Karlovic vs Bemelmans

Now, here's a question for you - which of the qualifiers (if any) do you think will make it to the second round? And which of them will go the furthest?

·
Registered
22,729 Posts
Marchenko will probably go the furthest. Probably get to round 4 to face Monfils.

Reactions: Keech

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marchenko will probably go the furthest. Probably get to round 4 to face Monfils.
You think he'll beat Raonic? If he does, I agree, his 2R and 3R would be easier.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts

·
Registered
62,581 Posts
You're jinxing but aside from Melzer and his return, I think Marchenko is the roughest draw for Raonic. He's got a good serve and you can't take the initiative in a point once he has it. Expect Raonic to win but 7-6 7-6 6-4 score or so would be unsurprising.

·
Registered
22,729 Posts
You're jinxing but aside from Melzer and his return, I think Marchenko is the roughest draw for Raonic. He's got a good serve and you can't take the initiative in a point once he has it. Expect Raonic to win but 7-6 7-6 6-4 score or so would be unsurprising.
That's ok. Milos gonna break the record for tiebreaks won in a season so he's fine with that. Also gives him lots of time to rack up aces as well.

·
Registered
62,581 Posts
That's ok. Milos gonna break the record for tiebreaks won in a season so he's fine with that. Also gives him lots of time to rack up aces as well.
Yeah, Marchenko is known as one of the very worst chokers and I have a tough time seeing him winning multiple tiebreaks against Raonic, which he'd probably need to. He was clutch in qualies though, so maybe he's turning over a new leaf like Lajovic last year.

·
MONSOON season.
82,719 Posts
Wow Bedene really unlucky here. Stands a much better chance of beating MD players than most of these guys, but draws Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Copil clearly.

Bad luck for Bedene and how Darcis didn't qualify escapes me :( Melzer is too old and was this close to losing to Munoz-de-la-nava

·
25,425 Posts
At least Bedene would have another experience playing against another Top 10 player back-to-back. That could help him gauge how good they are, and strive for more improvement. Who knows though. Hope for the best for him after a good run in Chennai.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Soeda vs Ymer

heh Ymer in AO is the first time a swedish player makes a slam since wimbledon 2011 and he also fluked out drawing Soeda. Think he got a decent chance for R2 which would be a huge success

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Soeda vs Ymer

heh Ymer in AO is the first time a swedish player makes a slam since wimbledon 2011 and he also fluked out drawing Soeda. Think he got a decent chance for R2 which would be a huge success
It's my #1 hope with the qualifiers. First Slam appearance at age 18 might be too much for Elias's nerves, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts