Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
This rule could come into play:
Comment 4: 3 players have 2 wins and the other player has 0 wins. The player with 0 wins is eliminated. Of the 3 players with 2 wins, 1 player’s sets won-loss is 5-2 for 71.43%; the other 2 players both have a 4-3 record in sets for 57.14%. In this case there is 1 superior player (71.43%) and the remaining 2 players are tied; it now reverts to the head to head result of the 2 remaining players with the winning player advancing as group runner-up.

Meaning that Nadal needs Medvedev to win.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Nadal's fate is now in the hands of the bullsheet Russian...

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also it means that Djokovic and Nadal can meet only in semifinals and if Djokovic wins the tournament he will finish as the year end number 1.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
People are saying that Nadal needs Medevdev to beat Zverev, but I don't get it.

If Nadal beats Tsitsipas and Zverev beats Medevdev, it's a 3 way tie for Nadal, Tsitsipas and Medevdev because they're all on 2 wins and 1 loss. So it'll go down to number of sets and games won and lost, not H2H (because Nadal beat Tsitsipas who beat Zverev who beat Nadal).

Or am I missing something?

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts

If Nadal beats Tsitsipas and Zverev beats Medevdev, it's a 3 way tie for Nadal, Tsitsipas and Medevdev because they're all on 2 wins and 1 loss. So it'll go down to number of sets and games won and lost, not H2H (because Nadal beat Tsitsipas who beat Zverev who beat Nadal).

Yes, but sets won/lost come into play only to break a three-way tie and turn it into a two-way tie. Tsitsipas would come out on top in sets won-lost, and it would revert to a two-way tie between Nadal and Zverev - and Zverev wins there

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts

Rafa got screwed hard by the schedule.

He plays first so by winning he's eliminating Medvedev and considering he needs Daniil to beat Sascha that's not productive at all..
But if you schedule Zverev/Medvedev first then a Zverev win would turn Nadal/Tsitsipas into a completely dead rubber

Doing it the way they did it, regardless of the result of the first match, there's going to be a player in the second match with a chance to advance

·
Registered
5,357 Posts

If Nadal beats Stef 2-0 and Zverev wins 2-1. Stef will end with 4-2, Zverev and Nadal 4-3.
So Stef advances because he has better set ratio and then h2h between Nadal and Zverev will decide.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts