Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Qantas boss says passengers will need to be vaccinated for international flights

Once vaccines are available, of course. ;) Expect other airlines to follow...

Australia's National Carrier... will require proof of vaccine.. Vaccination passports - digital health passes being proposed for all airlines.

Novaxxers in Ruins.

Not sure how it will affect travel to Australian Open for all the players...

Of course, some players may provide their own transport...

But countries like Australia and New Zealand are likely to impose restrictions at border control as well, so having your own jet may not be enough to get you in.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: florentine

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Another blow to their economy. Tourist traffic will drop down considerably compared to pre-COVID era. Unless all other countries will follow but I doubt it.

·
23,796 Posts
While I'm kinda fine with this (although surely they can't force people when the vaccine is just gonna be released, seeing you have to see it truly tested), it kinda opens precedent why not require it for other vaccines like the flu, which is still a pretty pesky sickness.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
Another blow to their economy. Tourist traffic will drop down considerably compared to pre-COVID era. Unless all other countries will follow but I doubt it.
They're not thinking about it that way.

Their view is probably like this: if there are covid19 cases on board commercial flights, flights will likely be grounded indefinitely, in the same way that restaurants with confirmed cases among customers and staff have no choice to close down. This will add disruption to time and additional costs for maintenance. Doing it this way (enforcing vaccination requirements) offsets responsibilities and costs to the passengers, allowing more seamless flight transitions that don't need to be as highly concerned about COVID outbreaks from their own flights.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
They're not thinking about it that way.

Their view is probably like this: if there are covid19 cases on board commercial flights, flights will likely be grounded indefinitely, in the same way that restaurants with confirmed cases among customers and staff have no choice to close down. This will add disruption to time and additional costs for maintenance. Doing it this way (enforcing vaccination requirements) offsets responsibilities and costs to the passengers, allowing more seamless flight transitions that don't need to be as highly concerned about COVID outbreaks from their own flights.
From their perspective would be best if everyone got vaccinated. But many people are and will be reluctant. So they will choose other airlines or destinations. Unless it becomes an international standard - which I hope it will not.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,304 Posts
From their perspective would be best if everyone got vaccinated. But many people are and will be reluctant. So they will choose other airlines or destinations. Unless it becomes an international standard - which I hope it will not.
Well we are still quite a long way from having international commercial flights back up and running, so there will be lots of talks about it I'm sure.

Passengers who elect to go down this route of having vaccination clearance might in fact have it cheaper, perhaps, because of these security checks, and will probably end up being more easily cleared when it comes to quarantine (if quarantine is still necessary, so hotel costs). Another factor is that it is likely a larger number of customers can be seated on a given flight with such rules in place. Unvaccinated, flight passengers may have to observe stricter distance limits (and hence airlines will need to pass out more flights to accommodate for space/flights may be more limited, and hence more expensive to book flights - can easily see a 20% maybe 30% difference in costs).

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
Well we are still quite a long way from having international commercial flights back up and running, so there will be lots of talks about it I'm sure.

Passengers who elect to go down this route of having vaccination clearance might in fact have it cheaper, perhaps, because of these security checks, and will probably end up being more easily cleared when it comes to quarantine (if quarantine is still necessary, so hotel costs). Another factor is that it is likely a larger number of customers can be seated on a given flight with such rules in place. Unvaccinated, flight passengers may have to observe stricter distance limits (and hence airlines will need to pass out more flights to accommodate for space/flights may be more limited, and hence more expensive to book flights - can easily see a 20% maybe 30% difference in costs).
One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is the pandemic has been a disaster to airlines business in general - so yeah they are looking for ways to get things back on track. And it's not only the pandemic itself but also general economic recession making fewer people who can afford flighting, especially long hauls which are more expensive.
What you say is obviously true but I just wonder how airline business (and tourism as well) will suffer in general. I guess we don't know but I'd bet it'll be at least two full years from now until it reaches the pre-pandemic levels.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Yeah right, PR fluff. There is no way anyone will be willing to do mandatory vaccination in the current climate. Governments can't do it, ffs. They might as well shut down the airline right now.

Reactions: Eliande

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Lol, most people are pragmatic, and especially Aussies.

The only ones worried about the Orwellian aspect of all this will be the stoners.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
One thing I'm sure we'll agree on is the pandemic has been a disaster to airlines business in general - so yeah they are looking for ways to get things back on track. And it's not only the pandemic itself but also general economic recession making fewer people who can afford flighting, especially long hauls which are more expensive.
What you say is obviously true but I just wonder how airline business (and tourism as well) will suffer in general. I guess we don't know but I'd bet it'll be at least two full years from now until it reaches the pre-pandemic levels.
It is indeed quite a disaster in this sector. I have been working for a very long time in the business travel and we were 9 in our agency. One guy has been fired last August, and all the rest of the team has been working only one day per week from home instead of 4 or 5 days a week depending on the contract we have. It is also a certainty that this situation of home working and one day a week only will last until Eastern and probably much more (I expect next summer approximately). When a great deal of the population will be vaccinated, things won't get back to normal so quickly as a lot of multinationals and smaller companies have got used to work with video conference and many have found that it works very well. I guess private and leisure trips will be back to normal very soon after a great deal of the population will be vaccinated and for those who can afford it, but business trips will start again slowly. Incentive and group trips slowly back to normal from next summer on.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
It is indeed quite a disaster in this sector. I have been working for a very long time in the business travel and we were 9 in our agency. One guy has been fired last August, and all the rest of the team has been working only one day per week from home instead of 4 or 5 days a week depending on the contract we have. It is also a certainty that this situation of home working and one day a week only will last until Eastern and probably much more (I expect next summer approximately). When a great deal of the population will be vaccinated, things won't get back to normal so quickly as a lot of multinationals and smaller companies have got used to work with video conference and many have found that it works very well. I guess private and leisure trips will be back to normal very soon after a great deal of the population will be vaccinated and for those who can afford it, but business trips will start again slowly. Incentive and group trips slowly back to normal from next summer on.
Yeah, thanks for that insight.
For the bolded part - I imagine office rent business will suffer tremendously too, it already does.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
With the number of people who seem happy about this whole situation, they will do whatever they want tomorrow...
true. it´s 1984

·
Registered
276 Posts
1984, Orwell? lmao wtf people, 2020 is almost at its end and wow, you are still underestimating this pandemic, that's sad.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
1984, Orwell? lmao wtf people, 2020 is almost at its end and wow, you are still underestimating this pandemic, that's sad.
i´m not understimating anything, i am just not blind and not stupid, that´s why. in some years a lot more people will realize about all the changes that came to stay

·
Registered
601 Posts
It won't be just airlines, concerts and events worldwide are likely going to want proof of vaccination. There are many ways in which to make people get vaccinated

1 - 20 of 39 Posts