Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
You should change the title of the thread until you can prove that Putin's goons are responsible for this (which they might well be, but neither of the tweets you quoted attribute blame). Rather than a couple of tweets, better to link an article from a credible outlet:

"The Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny is unconscious in hospital after allegedly being poisoned with a toxic substance in his tea, according to his press secretary Kira Yarmish.

A doctor at the hospital said that Navalny was in a “serious condition” but did not specify the cause. The opposition activist is currently on a ventilator."
It is false to describe Navalny as Putin's "main rival", incidentally. The political system in Russia is obviously rigged, but you will have a hard time gathering evidence that he is any more popular than other opposition leaders. Any Levada poll will show that he is actively less popular than Grudinin or the odious Zhirinovsky.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any Levada poll
Oh, poor boy, all polls there are controlled by Putin. Look at Navalny's twitter followers, he is rocking. All of my Russian friends support him. They are young, educated and Western minded. And he is the one who get banned from elections all the time, unlike the other idiots you stated.

Btw, he is about to die, rumours say. Hell, Putin killed another threat to his presidency.

·
RAVE ON
18,879 Posts
You should change the title of the thread until you can prove that Putin's goons are responsible for this (which they might well be, but neither of the tweets you quoted attribute blame). Rather than a couple of tweets, better to link an article from a credible outlet:
Really?

And you would wait for a chemical analysis of the liquid before concluding it is raining?

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really?

And you would wait for a chemical analysis of the liquid before concluding it is raining?
Exactly, KGB and Putin are experts in this. They empoisoned many of their dissents before. Obviously felt the winds of change happening in Belarus and thought he'd stamp that one out before it even starts. Sorry to say but the Russian people should hang their heads in shame for allowing this to happen. Democratic revolution is needed.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
And Putin calls this a Tuesday

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Oh, poor boy, all polls there are controlled by Putin. Look at Navalny's twitter followers, he is rocking. All of my Russian friends support him. They are young, educated and Western minded. And he is the one who get banned from elections all the time, unlike the other idiots you stated.

Btw, he is about to die, rumours say. Hell, Putin killed another threat to his presidency.
Do you think CIA assets like Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty would be collaborating with Levada, consistently describing it as an "independent pollster", and sympathetically defending it when the Russian state listed it is a "foreign agent" in 2016, if it was "controlled by Putin"? I accept that there are state-controlled polling agents in Russia, but Levada is not one of them, and it would not be cited by NATO outlets if it was.

"All of my Russian friends" and Navalny's Twitter follower count do not indicate that he would defeat Putin in a free and open election, nor that he would come ahead of the other aforementioned opposition leaders. These are worse measures than Levada's surveys. 2 million Twitter followers is tiny as a proportion of Russia's population (approx 144m), and many of his followers are not even Russian. As you hopefully know, social media platforms like VK and OK have far more Russian users than Twitter and FB.

It's nice that all of your Russian friends support Navalny (though I hope they object to his chauvinistic, racist attitudes toward ethnic minorities in Russia). I cannot say that I am surprised about English speaking Russians on Western social media site would be more inclined to take a pro-Western view. However, our personal friendship groups are not representative of larger voting trends and we'd be foolish to act as though they are. All of my friends and family voted for Labour in the last election here, but I was not gullible enough to think my in-group preferences reflected the entire nation. There is a reason polling agencies try to use weighted samples.

You have no evidence that his base is any bigger than the Communist Party's, to name one opposition group with more traction and deeper roots in Russian society than Navalny. You can dismiss them as "idiots" if you want, but you cannot change the truth that they command more support than Navalny.

Anyway, I agree that Navalny should be able to stand in the presidential elections.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
social media platforms like VK and OK have far more Russian users than Twitter.
Hence 2 mil is a very good number on twitter.

do not indicate that he would defeat Putin in a free and open election
No one can know that for sure, first of all you have to let him run and probably, well, live.

I agree that Navalny should be able to stand in the presidential elections.
Good to know, lol.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That's weird. The Nemtsov murder showed that if the ruling clique want someone dead, it will happen no matter what. Navalny is a convenient opposition figure to have, although I figure they resent having to put up with him still (think not letting him into elections was petty revenge rather than much fear, he's not that popular). So it seems to follow logically that, if this is indeed the work of special agents, Navalny must have done something particularly annoying to Putin and co that they felt like intimidating him this brutally. I'd like for him to live and tell us what it was about.

·
RAVE ON
18,879 Posts
That's weird. The Nemtsov murder showed that if the ruling clique want someone dead, it will happen no matter what. Navalny is a convenient opposition figure to have, although I figure they resent having to put up with him still (think not letting him into elections was petty revenge rather than much fear, he's not that popular). So it seems to follow logically that, if this is indeed the work of special agents, Navalny must have done something particularly annoying to Putin and co that they felt like intimidating him this brutally. I'd like for him to live and tell us what it was about.
It didn’t happen with Skripal - yet.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Funny Putin so likes to picture himself as an übermacho man shirtless on a horse or practicing martial arts (the archetypical closeted homosexual)... doesn't he know poison is the weapon of women?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Way to lump the Chechen affairs with the rest, stay honest.

The motives for eliminating a defected intelligence officer are obvious, the motives for eliminating a long-standing opposite politician are not - why now? As I said, hope he lives to tell, from his perspective anyway.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Funny Putin so likes to picture himself as an übermacho man shirtless on a horse or practicing martial arts (the archetypical closeted homosexual)... doesn't he know poison is the weapon of women?
You'd make a great dictator given your verbal ruthlessness, if your actions match your words that is.

Vlad is just getting old and lamenting the inevitable loss of vigour hence projecting the opposite lol.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts