Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think the head to head would have shaped up had Agassi and Sampras played against Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, and Federer in their primes? I always thought an Agassi/Djokovic matchup would be extremely interesting. Sampras/Federer would be beautiful to watch, and Agassi/Nadal would also be interesting with Andre's ability to strike serves.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
2011ovic might be able to hang with Primeassi, otherwise no. Sampras would crush them all on grass, except Peakerer.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
No chance at all. Today's game is on whole new level.
:rolleyes: :facepalm:

they would destroy Murray, Nadal, Djokovic on quick surfaces (carpet and indoor used to be more prevalent, as well as obviously grass and quicker outdoor conditions, like how the US Open used to be when Rafter would S/V there)

would be probably even on medium speed HC- I can definitely see Nadal handling a big serving Sampras, Djokovic possibly compensating for his lack of power compared to Agassi with movement, etc.

on slow surfaces Agassi and Sampras (even in peak) would be screwed due to the athleticism today- and beyond that they were terrible on clay anyway except for Agassi once in a blue moon

Federer would fair well. look at how Sampras owned Agassi in all of their big meetings- much would be the same. peak Federer vs. peak Sampras- the only thing I see Pete being better at is the serve and possible net so I expect Roger would have the slight edge

I don't think Murray would fair well at all in general against peak Sampras/Agassi, look how he crumbles like a cookie against any shotmaker in form :eek:

alas this is all speculation, different times, different players, different competition, different, different fashion styles, different mentality

too many variables to even answer this question with any real clue

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Grass: Federer would win against both, including the remaining Big 4.

Clay: Nadal would destroy both

Hard: Federer and Djokovic would beat both of them including the remaining Big 4.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
We really should stop including Shitray in some kind of big 4 :spit: 17-14 >>>>>>>>> 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

I mean, Murray is like the head of the Following Three with DelPo and Wawa. But that's it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Grass: Federer would win against both, including the remaining Big 4.

Clay: Nadal would destroy both

Hard: Federer and Djokovic would beat both of them including the remaining Big 4.
Nadal beat Federer 3 times on hard court in grand slam games...

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Nadal beat Federer 3 times on hard court in grand slam games...
vs the current Big 4 in their prime

Was Federer in his prime at AO 09, 12 and 14?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Federer is a bad matchup for Agassi. However, I think Agassi would be troubling for Djokovic. He always loved running his opponents to death and tiring them down. I think he'd win the majority of the time vs Murray on hard. Djokovic would have to dig deep vs Andre

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We really should stop including Shitray in some kind of big 4 :spit: 17-14 >>>>>>>>> 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

I mean, Murray is like the head of the Following Three with DelPo and Wawa. But that's it.
There happens to be a little thing called the Masters Series.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
vs the current Big 4 in their prime

Was Federer in his prime at AO 09, 12 and 14?
Was that basic guy ever in his prime ? Or is his prime just everyone else's low point ?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
And a big thing called Slams.
If you look at MS titles, MS finals, GS titles, and GS finals, and performance at slams and MS in general over the last 5 or 6 years, Murray blows the rest of the field away.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Which year/ years would you call Agassi at his peak???

Agassi made his opponents run? Nadal is the one who torture his opponent endlessly. Overall fitness of current players is way more than 10 -15 years ago ( except Nikorishi).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Federer would beat Agassi a large majority of the time, he and Sampras would have a big rivalry on grass and maybe fast hard court, but Federer would win on clay. Nadal beats them both on clay. Djokovic could hang with Agassi on hard court. Murray would lose almost always to Sampras and maybe get a couple wins against Agassi.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No chance at all. Today's game is on whole new level.
Agree. Although we would never know how good especially Sampras would have become with today's training techniques. As for Agassi, i think all 4 top players have higher peak level than he did. If we're talking consistency level, now that's something else.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nadal's biggest challenge would be Sampras on grass. Rafa's ability to hit passing shots is insane, but hitting them off the Sampras serve is extremely difficult. I'd pay a lot of money to see prime Sampras vs prime Federer at Wimbledon. Would go to 5 sets for sure

1 - 20 of 27 Posts