Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Tsitsipas has beaten numerous top 10 players by now. No, not just this year. Already last year, he beat a great Goffin in Belgium.

He had a great clay court season and only fatigue stopped him. He literally wiped the court with opponents in Toronto. Grandmaster Djokovic could not stop him. I respect Nole for completing the Master's master title.

Tsitsipas is the most complete player since the emergence of the current big 3. I will not deny that the big 3 is incredibly complete. But that is another story. Tsitsipas is adapting his game during rallies, he is constantly applying new shots, different spins, angles. He is a hybrid of Djokovic, Haas and Federer, technique-wise and similar to Nadal mentality-wise.

I will not deny it, due to his massive experience, right now Djokovic is the number one favorite for the US Open. But what can he do against a red-hot Tsitsipas? For this reason, I do believe Tsitsipas is probably the number 2 favorite to win the US Open this year, and will win his first slam if he plays Djokovic in the second week.

Del Potro won the US Open as a darkhorse, and Tsitsipas is much more versatile than the Argentine. Toronto is very similar to the US Open court speed-wise.

Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
C'mon man. Tstisipas started the year ranked 91st. He has improved a lot since then but to make a prediction saying he will win a slam is taking things a bit far. I'd be happy if he reached the QF's. Even 4th round would be a good showing.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon man. Tstisipas started the year ranked 91st. He has improved a lot since then but to make a prediction saying he will win a slam is taking things a bit far. I'd be happy if he reached the QF's. Even 4th round would be a good showing.
I can understand what you're saying but Del Potro did not even reach a Masters final before his USO win, Tsitsipas has already done that.

·
justice for all
13,124 Posts
Man, I'd love your prediction to prove correct but... I'll be happy when he reaches a QF and overwhelmed if he makes a SF, over the moon if it's the final, should he win it... I'll be the happiest man on MTF next to his other fans here.

May you be right, sir!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I can understand what you're saying but Del Potro did not even reach a Masters final before his USO win, Tsitsipas has already done that.
I think Delpo reached the final in Montreal that year. He had also reached the semis of the French.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Martín_del_Potro_career_statistics

I feel the mental strength Tsit has shown is impressive and could potentially see him knock out a top player but maintaining that level in best of 5 set not just once but numerous times throughout the tournament is something that is a little beyond him. Even after the incredible run in Toronto, he still had to get through Nadal to win the title and that proved too much. Who knows, maybe next year ;)

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Good joke! That's some powerful shit you are smoking :p.

Would only be possible if all the favourites bomb out early and he gets a Nadal 2017 like USO draw. But even then it's a big stretch.

·
|
14,293 Posts
Good joke! That's some powerful shit you are smoking :p.

Would only be possible if all the favourites bomb out early and he gets a Nadal 2017 like USO draw. But even then it's a big stretch.
At 2017 US Open, Nadal beat the 4th best slam player in the world - Del Potro.
I'd be surprised if Tsitsipas beat Del Potro at the US Open.
Heck, would Tsitsipas even beat Kevin Anderson? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I fully believe he will one day win a Slam, if not multiple Slam titles. He's that good. But, it's not this year. Three or four years down the road would be a good bet.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts