Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is predicted that with the way Nadal is closing in on Federer and Federer fading, Nadal will become the newest #1 next year, but I think people will still question that he wont be the best player in the world except in points. I can also predict that Federer cannot beat Nadal in French Open likely forever. What do you think?

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Re: [Prediction] New World #1 Rafael Nadal Not the Best Player in the World!?

I think that you are basing your prediction on this week's points, which is a mistake because last year's TMC points came off. Get back to us next week.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I am not talking about this week's ranking....But rather I am talking about in the next 12 months when he really moves up the ranking.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

Uh the best player is the #1 player. How else do you objectively qualify it? If Nadal gets to #1 then he's the best.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

I am not talking about this week's ranking....But rather I am talking about in the next 12 months when he really moves up the ranking.
Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. It will be tougher for Nadal next year in some ways, Fed has a number of places where he can actually gain points (IW and Miami, to start).

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

Well, I only hope that Nadal keeps closing the gap and becomes #1 for many years to come.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

He got to win the TMF, I'm not sure that he can make it to final, he got to beat Roger.

And, Roger got to lose and if Roger is not in the Final, and Nadal got the title and without a game lose. New No 1 is right here

but, I don't think that it will happen

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

Actually Nadal has to win the WTF, then he will no longer look at the rankings and say to himself - WTF?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Uh the best player is the #1 player. How else do you objectively qualify it? If Nadal gets to #1 then he's the best.
I would say so, but it'll be questioned by some other supporters that Nadal is only #1 because of his performance on clay or other lame excuses alike. I dont think he will ever be viewed as the best player in the world no matter his ranking.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

Oracle... ever wonder why you have all those red dots? It's because you're a grade-A dumbass.

·
Registered
810 Posts

I hope Nadal does better than Federer at TMC. For all the obvious reasons, that may not be the likeliest thing, but certainly not impossible. Assuming he does outperform Federer at TMC, the AO will be his real chance. He can pick up a few points pre-AO because he didn't win Chennai, and if he can defy the odds and actually win the AO, he will be within sneezing distance of #1, or may even be there already. If he takes #1 by winning the AO, then he holds 2 slams to Federer's 2, and will have better results outside of slams (3 MS shields(including 1 on hardcourts) to Fed's 2, ).

Basically, if he finally gets that elusive hardcourt slam in Australia next year, there is no subjective or objective argument that can be made that he does not deserve the #1 ranking. Tough part will be doing it. His non-slam results have often been comparable to Federer's, but he's always missing that 2nd slam title to even things up.

Alternately, if say Nalbandian were to take out Federer in the quarters and Nadal in the final, he'd still be pretty close. If he got to it that way, he'd be holding 1 slam to Federer's 2, in which case all kinds of arguments could be made that he didn't deserve it...Another possibility is that 2008 follows the current trend of things, with Nadal doing okay in Australia and New York, winning everything on clay, and losing to Federer in the Wimbledon final. If this happens and he can spruce up his summer hardcourt swing and indoor season results, he, again, would have a shot at #1 at about this time next year.

...so who knows...

I really hope he does it in Australia though. Time's not exactly running out for the 21 year old, but it does seem like it's past time to win big on concrete!

·
Registered
17,533 Posts

If Nadal gets to #1 then he's earned it and is the best player in the world. He's been a bit unfortunate as it is. I mean has there been a bigger roadblock to the number 1 ranking in tennis history? He'll get there eventually, but his best chance is to jump on Federer early before the clay season.(where Nadal will have a ton of points to defend)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If Nadal gets to #1 then he's earned it and is the best player in the world. He's been a bit unfortunate as it is. I mean has there been a bigger roadblock to the number 1 ranking in tennis history? He'll get there eventually, but his best chance is to jump on Federer early before the clay season.(where Nadal will have a ton of points to defend)
Do you still believe that clay is the only place people can jump on Federer? The way Federer is going, he may soon be losing Wimbledon too.

·
Banned
105 Posts

You could say he wouldn't be the best in talent, but in competing and play he would obviously be the best.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

I don't see Roger losing the Number 1 ranking for a while yet. Maybe 2 or 3 more years.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts

Oracle = Just Cause

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You could say he wouldn't be the best in talent, but in competing and play he would obviously be the best.
Not the best in talent? Actually from what I have been hearing, Nadal was considered one of the most talented players in years, as predicted by former #1 Moya. I dont think Federer won any grand slam at Nadal's age.

And people are already labeling me with several past posters, I would assume that they got several bad reps too?

·
Registered
737 Posts

It can happen but I don't think nadal will stay at number as long or for very long. Fed is in a slump but who knows how long it will last and Nalbanian is moving up fast.
Djokovic is losing steam but maybe he will come back refreshed for next year.

·
@Ryan's Hat
19,893 Posts
New World #1 Novak Djokovic is the Best Player in the World!?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He is still at #3, what I meant was shall Nadal win another few slams and achieve #1, people will consider Federer's "record" and declare him as the best player despite the ranking

1 - 20 of 24 Posts