Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given Djokovic is not a threat on clay to Nadal (5 years since he beat Nadal) or at the USO (4R exits past two years compared to Nadal winning 2 of last 3 he played in) it is hard seeing who stops Nadal at his pet slams.
However, whispers from some in the know say Federer has retooled his game with a bigger 2nd serve and much more serve volleying and been practicing finishing rallies much earlier and has looked outstanding doing it in practice. That sounds like the perfect game for Wimbledon.
Watch out for this ultra aggressive game from Federer in Dubai.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Where is the sauce on Federer's improved game? As much as I want Federer to do well, if you can't provide any proof about it, I'll just assume that you made it up. I remember someone saying earlier last year that Roger would bring back the SABR, but I haven't heard about anything else gamewise. I don't know how I'd feel about him finishing rallies much sooner because if he's neglecting his groundgame, that could really hamper his game because the modern game is very dependent on being solid from the back of the court. Against elite defenders, he won't be able to end rallies as quickly as he'd like to.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the sauce on Federer's improved game? As much as I want Federer to do well, if you can't provide any proof about it, I'll just assume that you made it up. I remember someone saying earlier last year that Roger would bring back the SABR, but I haven't heard about anything else gamewise.
You will see in Dubai!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
of course he will win the USO again if he gets another ATP 500 draw like 2017 and 2019. Nobody has that Luck, not even Federer

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think Federer's time to win slams has come and gone...he's just too old...

Reactions: ivanban and sav001

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Yep, 40 year old Olderer after a year out and surgery is going to come back and play top 5 level tennis instantly.

delusional.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Yep, 40 year old Olderer after a year out and surgery is going to come back and play top 5 level tennis instantly.

delusional.
How would it be instantly when he has 4 months to play himself into form? This isn't like in 2017 when he won his first tournament back. Federer isn't coming off of a hip surgery like Murray was, and hip surgeries are career killers in tennis as demonstrated time after time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
66% of Djokovic's slams are on hard court. If only he was better on other surfaces.
55% of Federer's slams came on hard and "only" 40% on grass. Going by your logic everyone is stupid seeing his best surface as grass. I disagree with labeling Rafa as a one-trick pony as it's too harsh but these attempts to overlook the inconvenient fact that 2 majors are played on hard, and as a result, it's much more difficult to not win majority of slam titles on that surface, are rather poor. His slam count is by far the most dependant on one particular major (not a surface) compared to the other members of the Big 3. Arguing with maths is not a good idea, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
55% of Federer's slams came on hard and "only" 40% on grass. Going by your logic everyone is stupid seeing his best surface as grass. I disagree with labeling Rafa as a one-trick pony as it's too harsh but these attempts to overlook the inconvenient fact that 2 majors are played on hard, and as a result, it's much more difficult to not win majority of slam titles on that surface, are rather poor. His slam count is by far the most dependant on one particular major (not a surface) compared to the other members of the Big 3. Arguing with maths is not a good idea, I suppose.
Amazing that Djokovic (all time leader on HC) only has 12 HC Slams while Nadal has 13 Clay Slams. Djokovic literally gets double the opportunities every year on his favorite surface compared to Nadal, yet still doesn't have as many combined slams on HC than Nadal has on clay. Imagine if there were 2 clay slams instead of 2 HC slams as there was in the past.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Nadal hasn't beaten Djokovic on HC since 2013. Even Djokovic has beaten Nadal on clay more recently than that (2016), as bad as he's been in that surface the past few years. Are we really supposed to believe he'd beat Djokovic LOOOOL

Djokovic won USO in 2015, reached the F in 2016, and won in 2018. Nadal won in 2017 and 2019. Similar results in recent years but Djokovic beat Federer and a good del Potro. Nadal beat a crap del Potro and nobody worth mentioning Nadal was lucky not to get exposed in 2018 in the final, he'd have to wait 4 months for that to happen.

66% of Djokovic's slams are on hard court. If only he was better on other surfaces.
There are 2 HC slams, so it's logical. Djokovic has 9 wins outside his best slam. Nadal has 7.

Reactions: Idemo

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Amazing that Djokovic (all time leader on HC) only has 12 HC Slams while Nadal has 13 Clay Slams. Djokovic literally gets double the opportunities every year on his favorite surface compared to Nadal, yet still doesn't have as many combined slams on HC than Nadal has on clay. Imagine if there were 2 clay slams instead of 2 HC slams as there was in the past.
Imagine if there was as much competition on clay as there is on hard courts lol. For starters, Djokovic had to compete with FEDERER on HC, Nadal had the luxury of facing Federer and Djokovic on their worst slam while he is on his best. Murray's worst surface too.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts