Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Nadal is the greatest ever at the French Open.

But the slam race has never been closer. Djokovic is entering his peak, scheduling smartly and focusing on slams.

Think about it. Djokovic now likely skips the majority of spring tournaments to peak for the French Open.

Nadal is of course the favorite but Djokovic is on a mission. Yes, the 2020 final wasn't pretty for him, but he has beaten Nadal in Paris before. Djokovic knows if he takes the title this year, he is getting to 20 at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Wind, hot sun, hot Nadal, hot any other good player would stop him once again. Likelihood is very slim to win it.

Tsitsipas nearly took him out last year.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Imagine if this prediction also comes true. The ruins, ruins everywhere... Nadal probably done winning slams, Djokovic will win 30 slams nonsense.
If Thiem takes out Nadal somehow, and Djokovic will beat Tsitsipas on the other side, it can be realized. The only version I see it happening.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We all know Nadal is the greatest ever at the French Open.

But the slam race has never been closer. Djokovic is entering his peak, scheduling smartly and focusing on slams.

Think about it. Djokovic now likely skips the majority of spring tournaments to peak for the French Open.

Nadal is of course the favorite but Djokovic is on a mission. Yes, the 2020 final wasn't pretty for him, but he has beaten Nadal in Paris before. Djokovic knows if he takes the title this year, he is getting to 20 at Wimbledon.
That was the worst version of Nadal beaten by the best version of Djokovic on clay. It's unlikely it would ever happen again. As it stands, Thiem has a much better chance of beating Nadal at the FO than Djokovic.

Reactions: Tano27

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yep, and he started with his jinxing endaevour three months ago:

"Djokovic is a lock for the 2021 AO title"
"Djokovic to win 25 plus slams"
recently adding
"Djokovic will not lose a set en route to the trophy at AO 2021"
"Can injured Zverev win more than 4 games against Djokovic tomorrow?"
"The slam race is over"

Mods should stop op from this silly jinx spamming. It's stupid.

·
justice for all
16,870 Posts
It's possible. In my book he's the 2nd favourite (slightly ahead of Dominic).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Imagine if this prediction also comes true. The ruins, ruins everywhere... Nadal probably done winning slams, Djokovic will win 30 slams nonsense.
If Thiem takes out Nadal somehow, and Djokovic will beat Tsitsipas on the other side, it can be realized. The only version I see it happening.
We say it before the AO final, IF Medvedev had won now people would be claiming he was going to achieve CYGS, that Big 3 are done and that Djokovic probably is soon retiring lol

·
justice for all
16,870 Posts
We say it before the AO final, IF Medvedev had won now people would be claiming he was going to achieve CYGS, that Big 3 are done and that Djokovic probably is soon retiring lol
IF. But he didn’t. And was very very far from winning.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Come on. Last year was his chance, and he got absolutely destroyed by Nadal.

Stop trying to build any exitment for the FO. Nadal will win it, and he will not drop a set. No need to watch the tournament

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Would rather he skip FO, maybe defending Rome only to stay in tennis shape & prepare to peak in Grass season for potential showdown vs a former no.1 Swiss in WB.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
If someone else or an injury takes out Nadal, this is posssible. But after last years' beatdown, I can't see him beating Nadal in RG this year.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Medium - but not low - likelihood that Djoker as Top Seed will take both FO and SW19, it is indeed possible and what a US Open scenario if it happens:

1) 20-20-20 in the Slam Race.

2) Djoker with the elusive DCGS in the bag and on the brink of the most coveted prize of all: CYGS & once-and-for-all settling the GOAT debate.

3) Federer manically motivated to prevent that happening and to get his record breaking #6 USO and #21.

4) Rafa in beast mode to prevent that happening and to tie Sampras, Connors, Federer at #5 USO and #21.

US Open 2021 will be the most exciting nerve-racking thriller Slam in Open Era with the 20-20-20 scenario.

MTF tennis fans will travel to New York City in the tens of thousands to watch Big 3 tennis history being written live.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If Nadal and Djokovic meet in the SF instead of the final, which could happen, I think Djokovic will have a better chance.

I wouldn’t base his chances purely on 2020’s final, he’s given Nadal some good matches there in the past, he just never kept it together long enough to reach the finish line (except the 2015 win of course)

Will be an interesting tournament for sure. You’d have to think Djokovic will be extra motivated after last year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wind, hot sun, hot Nadal, hot any other good player would stop him once again. Likelihood is very slim to win it.

Tsitsipas nearly took him out last year.
Its actually a myth that he needs slower conditions at RG. In contrary his best match against Nadal at RG was 2013, 30 degrees semifinal. He dont have big problem with the high bounce, and as older he gets, he needs livelier conditions for his game to work. He will not overpower his oponents like Thiem or Wawrinka do.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Obviously he's a decent chance to win RG, but he's obviously well behind Nadal and I also have him a peg below Thiem as well. I'm quite certain that the US Open slam win last year and the mental impact that it obviously had was a significant reason in his below par showing at RG. I'd be quite surprised if, with better preparation, he had such a disappointing result this year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always the same narrative after every Australian Open won by Novak.
Djokovic owns Melbourne and he always seems to be unbeatable there. But there are still 3 other GS, very different than AO.
Djokovic obviously is the 2nd favourite in Paris, but if Rafa is healthy I don't see anyone beating him there in BO5.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Medium - but not low - likelihood that Djoker as Top Seed will take both FO and SW19, it is indeed possible and what a US Open scenario if it happens:

1) 20-20-20 in the Slam Race.

2) Djoker with the elusive DCGS in the bag and on the brink of the most coveted prize of all: CYGS & once-and-for-all settling the GOAT debate.

3) Federer manically motivated to prevent that happening and to get his record breaking #6 USO and #21.

4) Rafa in beast mode to prevent that happening and to tie Sampras, Connors, Federer at #5 USO and #21.

US Open 2021 will be the most exciting nerve-racking thriller Slam in Open Era with the 20-20-20 scenario.

MTF tennis fans will travel to New York City in the tens of thousands to watch Big 3 tennis history being written live.
In my opinion the chances of Djokovic winning AO, RG and WMB this year are pretty slim, but if Djokovic enters USO with the other 3 GSs in his bag, I will put all my money into him getting the elusive CYGS.

Federer hasn't won the USO since 2008 and a loss from Nadal at RG may be the final blow to his self-confidence. And we all saw that the Next-Gen is not yet ready to beat the Big 3 on the big stage.

Only a random peaking Stanimal can prevent the Djoker from being the second person to accomplish that feat. But Nadal will win his 14th RG this year.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts