Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wimbledon is tricky..

None of the Youngsters are specialized on the surface.

Tsitsipas was most uncomfortable on grass this year.

Djokovic won't win 3 straight nor keep getting lucky.

Federer is getting older.

Nadal has the level but will it continue?

Zverev's game is actually grass suited, but level wise he is most inconsistent and obviously the poorest slam performer.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Wimbledon is tricky..

None of the Youngsters are specialized on the surface.

Tsitsipas was most uncomfortable on grass this year.

Djokovic won't win 3 straight nor keep getting lucky.

Federer is grtting older.

Nadal has the level but will it continue?

Zverev's game is actually grass suited, but level wise he is most inconsistent and obviously the poorest slam performer.
Wimby is the place where Big3 has biggest advantage over others (they and Murray has won last 17(!) editions), they all reached semis this year (and almost last year). I see very good chances for them: even if Djoko stumbles there's still Federer who has great chance and can sweep rest of contenders (even at the age of almost 39). Nadal also improved his grass results in recent years. If Big3 fails then there could be some big surprise (i.e. no Thiem, no Medved, no Tsitsi, no Zverev).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wimby is the place where Big3 has biggest advantage over others (they and Murray has won last 17(!) editions). I see very good chances for them: even if Djoko stumbles there's still Federer who has great chance and can sweep rest of contenders (even at the age of almost 39). Nadal also improved his grass results in recent years. If Big3 fails then there could be some big surprise (i.e. no Thiem, no Medved, no Tsitsi, no Zverev).
Federer is weak. Already 2 years can not win Slam.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Federer is weak. Already 2 years can not win Slam.
If anything, last Wimby proved that he can still win it regardless of the draw.

·
Registered
670 Posts
AO: Djokovic or Nadal
RG: Nadal or Thiem
W: Djokovic or Murray
US: Nadal or Tsitsipas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your visions will happen
46,468 Posts

·
The special one
13,498 Posts
And they were all true. Every slam is the most important slam until further notice
I don't get that feeling towards every slam, but in this case I think it rings true because this is the first time the slam record can potentially get tied by Nadal.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It'd be curious if Federer won the 2020 US Open.

2010's USO's: 0
2020's USO's: 1

"Totgesagte leben länger"

Germany saying of "pronounced dead live longer" (if they're not dead yet but expected to be).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'll try some bold stuff

AO : Zverev def Djokovic
RG : Federer def Medvedev
W : Federer def Thiem
US : Tsitsipas def Thiem

and OG : Murray def Del Potro

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Here's what I think will happen, in general terms: AO/USO are the most difficult to predict as Next Gen will have their best chances at these 2 slams, especially USO. RG/W is still the domain of the Big 3 for now though. Djokovic and Nadal will each win at least 1 slam, maybe 1 slam goes to a new winner and the last one to one of the Big 3. But honestly, in terms of pure probability, Djokovic and Nadal are the 2 favorites for each slam, except perhaps replace Nadal with Federer at Wimbledon and maybe Thiem with Djokovic at RG.

Those are kind of boring predictions though so just for fun I will go with:

AO: Djokovic
RG: Nadal
W: Djokovic
USO: Tsitsipas

I am a little skeptical of Djokovic winning Wimbledon 3x in a row, but I will hope for this result anyway. Because if he doesn't win, I can't see anyone other than Federer taking it.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I'll try some bold stuff

AO : Zverev def Djokovic
RG : Federer def Medvedev
W : Federer def Thiem
US : Tsitsipas def Thiem

and OG : Murray def Del Potro
Haha, this is the real reason Murray came back. He showed up just in time to snag another OG.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
AO Tsitsipas
His all-court game is very suited to this hard court surface. I can see him carrying the result from the ATP finals to the first slam of the year. I think the big three would start slow, need a bit more time to find their game (which was the case for Nadal and Federer last year) with age catching up. We could be surprised with a new winner.

RG Nadal
First of all, Rafa will do everything to make sure he's ready for this part of the year. Secondly when he's ready, he is a beast in Paris. Even a declined Nadal is multiple levels above everyone else, including Thiem. No single backhand players will ever beat him in RG.

Wimbledon Federer
I am incredibly biased here. I believe Federer still has a chance to win his last slam in Wimbledon. He was very close last year and that means he still has the game to be a contender for the title. If he can hold up physically (with a big question mark for a 39 year-old player) I don't see him losing easily to anyone.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Very Hard task.

AO:Djokovic, Nadal (alot of guys can win this tournament though. Federer, Tsitsipas, Thiem, Medvedev and maybe even Zverev
FO: Easy one: Nadal, Thiem. (I think Djokovic, Zverev and Tstsipss are the only other guys with a chance to make the final
Wimbledon: Federer, Djokovic. (None of the young guys seem to have figured out this surface.
USOPEN: Thiem, Medvedev ( Federer and Djokovic tend to wear down at this event somewhat and I think one of the young guys will finally take out Nadal in a tough affair.

Tsitsipas, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Zverev could all get it done.

Feels like a great year ahead. The pressure is on Thiem, Medvedev and Zverev I feel and only so many slams to go around with the big 3 around, whoever gets the first one in this group I think will have big chances for a stint at #1 and multiple slams but if they don't get it done soon I could see any of these guys finishing with 0 slams. I know Thiem I feel this year is his chance to really start padding his resume. I think Tstsipas will win slams regardless of what happens this year, he has the belief, and "it" factor in my opinion, even if he annoys me.

Shapovalov, FAA are not ready yet 2021, they could be. I feel Khachanov will be the Berdych of this era, right down to the Bercy title being his only big title. Expect a strong bounce back from Borna Coric, although I don't see him as a slam winner.

Should be a great year.

·
Registered
709 Posts
AO: Tsitsi(Nole)
RG:Rafa\Thiem
W:Rogie
USO:who cares(okay,Rafa)

21 - 40 of 69 Posts