Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Predict/fix :) the US Open draw projection from QF on with current rankings below for top 8 seeds assuming Juan Martin del Potro does not play.
Also, pick the 4th round opponent for Andy Murray and if you think he'll upset that top 8 opponent, then use his name instead for your projection with the top 8 player he beat in parentheses, otherwise just put Murray as the beaten player in parenthesis.

IF there is anyone else you see as upsetting one of the top 8, then use his name similarly.
Please feel free to copy my example below as a template.

1 Novak Djokovic
2 Rafael Nadal
3 Roger Federer
4 Stan Wawrinka
5 Tomas Berdych
6 David Ferrer
7 Milos Raonic
8 Grigor Dimitrov

Quarterfinalists----------- Semifinalists------ Finalists---------- Winner

Djokovic
--------------------------- Djokovic
Ferrer
----------------------------------------------- Djokovic
Raonic
--------------------------- Federer
Federer

-------------------------------------------------------------------Djokovic

Dimitrov (beat Murray)
--------------------------- Wawrinka
Wawrinka
----------------------------------------------- Wawrinka
Berdych
--------------------------- Nadal
Nadal

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
only needs to be one prediction

Winner: Slamray OBE (without a set dropped)

·
23,063 Posts
I personally think Ferrer would still be stuck in his slump and would exit around R4. Other than that, I agree that I agree that Berdych-Federer-Djokovic-Nadal would reach the QFs with Wawrinka-Murray but the latter two could also easily eliminated earlier based on their performances this year.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
QF

Djokovic
Raonic

Federer
Murray

Wawrinka
Dimitrov

Berdych
Nadal

SF

Djokovic
Federer

Wawrinka
Nadal

F

Federer
Wawrinka

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On hard courts? Absolutely.
I think Nadal would be the first to say Wawrinka is extremely dangerous and could hurt him on hard courts if he doesn't play his best.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He never lost a set to Wawrinka when healthy. By the way, Nadal would say the same thing about Berdych.
That was pre-Wawrinka 2.0. ;) And Nadal would be right to say the same thing about almost any player... :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,063 Posts
He never lost a set to Wawrinka when healthy. By the way, Nadal would say the same thing about Berdych.
I could at least the 1st Set of AO was against a healthy (at least enough to be said as average) Nadal -- maybe Nadal had mental lapses like the BPs wasted in the last game (although I think Stan served well those times at 2nd Serve), but it still healthy Nadal IMO.

Wawrinka is as good as he was in 2013. The difference is that the tour has declined a lot this season.
While I agree the tour declined a lot (maybe not a lot but was significant enough) this season, I felt the changes on the FH helped him adjust more.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I could at least the 1st Set of AO was against a healthy (at least enough to be said as average) Nadal -- maybe Nadal had mental lapses like the BPs wasted in the last game (although I think Stan served well those times at 2nd Serve), but it still healthy Nadal IMO.

While I agree the tour declined a lot (maybe not a lot but was significant enough) this season, I felt the changes on the FH helped him adjust more.
Nadal said he felt some pain during the warm-up, but let's concede that.

As for Wawrinka, he was much more consistent last year IMO.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All right, let's please not start that Rafa injured stuff up again. There is at least one thread about that.

Let's stick to the draw topic please. For this thread, I'm more interested in which players you think will be playing each other in the QF, more than the eventual winner, though it's fine to project that as well.

A lot of these draws lately seem to be very similar.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,063 Posts
The question is -- would there be an unseeded player in the QF? During RG there was in R4, but not in the QFs I think, while in Wimbledon there is one in the form of Kyrgios. AO had all Top 8 EXCEPT for Del Potro where Dimitrov gets "his place". USO seem to bring unpredictability than AO so I wonder if someone could sneak up.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With a kind draw it wouldn't surprise me to see a healthy John Isner make a QF at the US Open. If he can go through early rounds with some easier 3 set wins instead of battling 4 and 5 sets, it would help him immensely. Tall IF, I know, but that's John.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
23,063 Posts
With a kind draw it wouldn't surprise me to see a healthy John Isner make a QF at the US Open. If he can go through early rounds with some easier 3 set wins instead of battling 4 and 5 sets, it would help him immensely. Tall IF, I know, but that's John.

Respectfully,
masterclass
See him lose again against Kohlschreiber in the Round of 32. :p

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I've seen that show before. There are not many that like to run into Kohli when he is in good form. I don't think Murray would have beaten him at RG this year if they had another hour to play the same day, but we will never know. But regardless, a meeting with Kohli can be tough for anyone in early rounds.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Well there's no point taking random guesses at who will draw who in the quarters.

Outside of the top 8 seeds, here are the players I think could make the QFs:
Murray
Nishikori
Isner
Gulbis
Cilic
Tsonga (If he's stepped up his game, this one is unlikely)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Nadal's opponents will be ranked the lowest as usual. Gasquet in the semi again, or maybe his worshipper Tomas? Good work el Tio.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts