Mens Tennis Forums banner

what do you think?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
returning from injuries in 2010, he won two titles this year - one on hardcourts in delray beach and one on clay in estoril......he also lost one hardcourt final to tsonga......

what do you think his 2012 is going to be like? predict the no. of titles he is going to win......

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
If he recapture his 09 form and gets 100 percent healthy again... I could see him stealing the French, repeat at the USO.. And who knows maybe Wimbledon depending on Nadal.. I CERTAINLY think he can beat Nole there.. Nadal is questionable though. Even less the top form at wimbledon last year he still trouble Nadal quite a bit

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he recapture his 09 form and gets 100 percent healthy again... I could see him stealing the French, repeat at the USO.. And who knows maybe Wimbledon depending on Nadal.. I CERTAINLY think he can beat Nole there.. Nadal is questionable though. Even less the top form at wimbledon last year he still trouble Nadal quite a bit
that means an outside chance of 3 slams if he is fit?

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all depends on coin toss
of course it's vital on grass and fast hardcourts......d pot being an average second server shouldn't donate the toss advantage to his opponent.....it's always best to serve first and stay ahead on the scoreboard......let your opponent have all the scoreboard pressure, not you.....sometimes you win the toss, casually ask your opponent to serve first as if it's no big deal and 15 minutes later find yourself trailing 0-3 or 1-4......

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sadly I don't think one of them will be a slam though. :sad: But I really hoped I'm somehow proved wrong.
i think he can target one of the two hardcourt slams next year......i also think he does well in the french......he's got the game for overpowering opponents on clay......his clay record might be average at the moment but he is capable of beating big guns on clay......

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
of course it's vital on grass and fast hardcourts......d pot being an average second server shouldn't donate the toss advantage to his opponent.....it's always best to serve first and stay ahead on the scoreboard......let your opponent have all the scoreboard pressure, not you.....sometimes you win the toss, casually ask your opponent to serve first as if it's no big deal and 15 minutes later find yourself trailing 0-3 or 1-4......
btw i wasn't serious

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
that means an outside chance of 3 slams if he is fit?
I think if top form he might be more of a threat then Murray and he gave Nadal a tough time at wimbledon last year and he can beat Nole. . I don't see really anyone outside the top 4 that poses the type of threat Del Potro does if hes healthy and in top form really.

Of course.. he probably won't be in top form. And Nadal will have to be below top form as well.. I think Nadal will be fine by next year though.

Potentially.. Del Potro could be a big threat next year at 3 of the 4 anyways.. Of course at the end of the day.... he probably wont be

·
Banned
10,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it all boils down to his fitness and conditioning......if he's over his fitness issues, he will do really well next year......i don't think there's a massive drop in his level of play......the game is pretty simple too......he just goes for it without any hesitation and a little more consistency like in 2009, he's right back in the mix......his biggest strength is that he doesn't fear anybody and stays very composed no matter who the opponent is......something tells me that djokovic for one wouldn't want to face him on clay or grass next year......

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
First masters looks likely.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
it all boils down to his fitness and conditioning......if he's over his fitness issues, he will do really well next year......i don't think there's a massive drop in his level of play......the game is pretty simple too......he just goes for it without any hesitation and a little more consistency like in 2009, he's right back in the mix......his biggest strength is that he doesn't fear anybody and stays very composed no matter who the opponent is......something tells me that djokovic for one wouldn't want to face him on clay or grass next year......
I think thats what scary about him.. Unlike the other erratic clowns ( CLownga, Berdych) this guy stays composed and plays his game.. Add that with a big overwhelming game, hes a scary player. Now its just matter of health and getting back to his 09 form.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think Delpo is much more dangerous to Fed and Rafa than Novak. Delpo can punish the weaker wings of Fedal and Nadal's occasionally weak serve. Nole defends extremely well and is solid off the ground from both wings. He is also a better returner than Fedal and can hurt Delpo from the ground, or switching from defense to offense.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think thats what scary about him.. Unlike the other erratic clowns ( CLownga, Berdych) this guy stays composed and plays his game.. Add that with a big overwhelming game, hes a scary player. Now its just matter of health and getting back to his 09 form.
Tsonga and Berdych made one slam final and lost... so they are erratic? But Delpo wins one slam and he's not erratic? If you look at the last 4 years of Delpo's results, you'll see he has been extremely erratic. His lone slam was more than 2 years ago. What's up with this obsession with calling world class players mugs and clowns? They can't all win every tournament. There will always be one winner and 63 or 127 losers. Does that mean they are all clowns?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts