Mens Tennis Forums banner

What will the best drama/quality WTF2016 RR matches be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know the World Tour Finals in the last 2 years have been a head banging experience for some in terms of the quality of matches, with more than a few utter routs and no-shows. Hopefully we'll get some nice drama and game this year.

Which matches in RR do you expect to be the best quality/drama wise?

I've included multiple choice in poll: please pick up to 3 options from the list.

Group Lendl
- Djokovic vs. Thiem - will be a learning experience for Thiem. Hope he can play freely, that said.
- Djokovic vs. Monfils - DRAMA :bolt:
- Djokovic vs. Raonic - same old. :shrug:
- Thiem vs. Monfils ?? Monfils will be grinding away, Thiem will be powerhitting the ball. Contrast in style.
- Thiem vs. Raonic - not too keen on this one. Thiem is not so good at dealing with big servers just yet.
- Raonic vs. Monfils - 4th meeting this year, Monfils turn the tables in Montreal. Could be interesting.

Group McEnroe
- Murray vs. Wawrinka - topsy turvy relationship. Wawrinka when on can blast Murray away but Murray can frustrate with his defense.
- Murray vs. Cilic - could be close if Cilic serves and hits well.
- Murray vs. Nishikori - swings from no-show to dramatic battles, mix off prolonged countering rallies and net play expected. Kei will have to work overtime to protect his serve, but is also expected to dish out huge interest on returns. Bring the popcorn. If their last 2 five setters are to go by, fans could be in for a treat.
- Nishikori vs. Wawrinka - They never tend to quite play their absolute best for a whole match against each other, and each has elements of their game to disrupt the other, but aggressive tennis expected all round.
- Nishikori vs. Cilic - see above. Cilic can be tricky to play when on and Kei surely would want revenge.
- Wawrinka vs. Cilic - Powerhitter battle.

And you can discuss your choices here in the thread. We can then look back after RR is complete and see whether the matches lived to their name.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Nishikori vs. Cilic and Wawrinka vs. Murray are matches I really want to see. I honestly don't feel excited for any matches in the Lendl group, other than possibly Thiem-Monfils.

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
I am not actually sure if Wawrinka-Murray would be a good match especially if Stanimal shows up then it'll be a one sided beatdown.

Cilic-Wawrinka might be a good match.

Any match with Nishikori will be an extremely boring match since he is absolutely terrible indoors.

The other half is such a big joke with injured players that I won't bother mentioning.

·
52,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nishikori vs. Cilic and Wawrinka vs. Murray are matches I really want to see. I honestly don't feel excited for any matches in the Lendl group, other than possibly Thiem-Monfils.
Yeah Lendl group :rolleyes:

Nishikori really can't lose to Cilic again. 3 in a row would be a farce, granted Wimbledon he was unfit.
Thankfully Kei cannot possibly play worse than he did in Basel F 2 weeks ago, where he still had SPs on Cilic despite being the worse player overall. I just hope he gets that awful Tsonga choke out of his mind.

·
52,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not actually sure if Wawrinka-Murray would be a good match especially if Stanimal shows up then it'll be a one sided beatdown.

Cilic-Wawrinka might be a good match.

Any match with Nishikori will be an extremely boring match since he is absolutely terrible indoors.

The other half is such a big joke with injured players that I won't bother mnentioning.
Nishikori actually is good on real indoors court like Memphis, not these sloppy slow as snails surface which really don't do justice to 'indoors'. He actually tends to play better tennis with roof closed on traditional outdoors courts as well, it seems to help his serve.

·
Registered
8,769 Posts

·
Banned
577 Posts
Nishikori actually is good on real indoors court like Memphis, not these sloppy slow as snails surface which really don't do justice to 'indoors'. .
The difference between Nishikori's performances in Memphis and WTF can be explained by the fact that he plays Harrison, Kukushkin, Querry and Fritz to win the former and Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc in the latter. There's nothing more to it. Swap the fields and we'd suddenly hear about how WTF courts are the real indoor courts....

·
Registered
8,769 Posts
The difference between Nishikori's performances in Memphis and WTF can be explained by the fact that he plays Harrison, Kukushkin, Querry and Fritz to win the former and Federer, Djokovic, Nadal etc in the latter. There's nothing more to it. Swap the fields and we'd suddenly hear about how WTF courts are the real indoor courts....
I can't believe I am agreeing with this guy :yeah:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Basically all the McEnroe group produces interesting matches.

I was hoping we'd never have to see Djokovic-Monfils again after the US Open.

·
Registered
660 Posts
For non-objective personal reason i am stoked for thiem-monfils; other than that stan-andy and stan-nishi could be fun

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Murray-Wawrinka, Djokovic-Thiem and Monfils-Thiem.

But unlike the last editions, this years WTF seem to have a lot of close match-ups overall. Not sure about the quality as most of the participants are in bad shape right now, but the quality hasn't been great either in previous years.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Any match from group McEnroe has at least some potential, group Lendl is just :facepalm:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts