Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal’s performance ceiling in the NA Summer HC season?

• He will win one of the Masters 1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hamburg title was nothing but a small consolation for yet another demoralizing Wimbledon..A slight mental boost getting back revenge on the Fog/Verdasco, but make no mistake 2015Dal still reigns: extremely erratic FH+ puff serve/ROS combo +jitters closing out sets/matches+ dodgy stamina ..etc..

Now comes the hard part, no pun intended, can Nadal do any sort of damage in a stretch where point collection will crucial for his ranking/seed in upcoming big tourneys since he defend zilch points for the whole summer..

IMO, barring the introduction of secret weapon to his current tennis package (2010USO serve etc...), i don't think this Nadal is ready to win any of these events..A SF/F could be possible with a cushy draw and sudden found consistency...

Predictions:

Montreal: QF
Cincinnati: R3
USO: SF (QF if he draws Djokovic)

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Unlikely that he will fix his FH in the next few months so:

Cincinnati: QF
USO: QF

Wouldn't be shocked if he reaches a SF but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Perfect hunting ground during this time for Djokovic to even up his H2H with Nadal. That's all I have to say.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Qf
Qf
Qf

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Montreal: SF
Cincy: R3
USO: QF (SF if he gets a lucky draw)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can see him getting to SF in 2/3 but would be very surprised to see him as a finalist. Feels a bit like 2009 where he will do ok but lose to the first top 5 player he meets (barring bad match ups earlier in the draw).

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I can't really answer without the draws being out, but I'd not be surprised if he reaches the US Open final (and maybe wins it).

Can see him getting to SF in 2/3 but would be very surprised to see him as a finalist. Feels a bit like 2009 where he will do ok but lose to the first top 5 player he meets (barring bad match ups earlier in the draw).
Nadal was a shadow of himself at the time (even if he was injured at some point), he didn't have a single top 8 win from Madrid 2009 to Miami 2010... So that's a good comparison indeed.

·
Bring it Home
20,500 Posts
I just saw the entry list in both masters events and I couldn't saw much players who will be easy for him in the hardcourts, I'd say he will be the underdog in almost any R1 or R2 match.

Well, since Federer withdrew from Montreal, he will be seeded #8 there, so he gets a R2 there for sure, while in Cincy he will depend on Cilic's campaign in Washington (if Cilic reach the QF, Nadal will be seeded #9 in Cincy).

There is also Ferrer who isn't playing for months, Nadal can also get a seed upgrade with a withdrawal from him.

I'm going with the safest option though, no wins in both Masters and 2 wins in the US, since in a grand slam the early draws are usually easier.

Montreal - R2
Cincy - R1 or R2 (if seeded #8)
USO - R3

·
Registered
17,938 Posts
Trifecta? :superlol:

more like triple fail. QF, R3, QF

Reactions: Fogmeister

·
Registered
384 Posts
I can't really answer without the draws being out, but I'd not be surprised if he reaches the US Open final (and maybe wins it).

Nadal was a shadow of himself at the time (even if he was injured at some point), he didn't have a single top 8 win from Madrid 2009 to Miami 2010... So that's a good comparison indeed.
I didn't check the stats and assumed he'd beaten someone who was 6-8, so that's a closer comparison that I imagined! I think a lot of people had written Nadal off after the IW-Miami double, given that he lost in the SFs to people he normally beat.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Unlikely that he will fix his FH in the next few months so:

Cincinnati: QF
USO: QF

Wouldn't be shocked if he reaches a SF but I wouldn't count on it.
I pretty much agree with this sentiment.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts