Mens Tennis Forums banner

How many ATP titles will Novak win in 2019?

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 1-3

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • 4-6

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 7 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No1e has 0 so far in 2019. The AO is an ITF title.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I wouldn't mind him winning more ITF titles :D

I am expecting his clay form to improve in Rome where he can reach finals, I expect another atrocity in Madrid tbh, it's not the game, but the apathy he shows on-court.

I have doubts about preUSO masters, he will win one of them, not both, traditionally.

He has always had successfull post-USO season, and that is where I am expecting the most from.

I wont be greedy, 2-3 masters (Rogers Cup, Shanghai and/or Paris) and Beijing ATP. I can't possibly predict Finals outcome.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
|
14,483 Posts
Well I think he'll dodge Rafa in the clay season, he'll lose before the final of each clay event to make sure Rafa doesn't gain any confidence in the rivalry.
So whatever he wins will have to be after June :armed:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's never certain that the past will be a reliable guide to the future, but here are some stats for what they're worth:

12 out of Novak's 15 slams have come in three red-hot streaks:

a) AO 2011 to AO 2012 * (arguably the streak came to an end after USO 2011, but that's a matter for debate)
b) AO 2015 to RG 2016
c) Wimby 2018 to now

The first two slam streaks have come during periods of total domination:

In period a) Novak won 4 slams and 7 ATP titles
In period b) he won 5 slams and 12 ATP titles

It seemed in the autumn of last year that the latest streak would be similar, but the picture has changed since then.

In period c) he has won 3 slams and 2 ATP titles.

So: Is this less complete domination a sign that Novak is pacing himself physically and mentally? Thus, does it mean a period of longer but less intense domination?

Or does it mean that his streak has already come to an end?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Just 4: Rome, Cincy, Shanghai and the Tour Finals.
That should cement his #1 position besides the slams.

·
Administrator
6,123 Posts
I mean, trolling effort (3/10) aside, Djokovic has 1 ATP title so far - whether or not the ATP runs the tournaments directly they make no distinction between slams and the other tournaments in terms of being ATP titles, and still list them as titles won by the player on their own site:

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/novak-djokovic/d643/titles-and-finals

Records and stats for the ATP Tour elsewhere also never make a distinction (quick question - how many ATP titles does Federer have? Without specifically stating you mean something different, the answer you will get is 101).

Personally I predict Djokovic will win 2-3 slams and a couple of other titles to end up with 4 or 5 for the year.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
He won his first Challenger title a couple of weeks ago so who knows. Personally I can't see him winning one, best chance is probably in Kitzbühel on home soil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts