Mens Tennis Forums banner

Predict Best Matches

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is probably the biggest tournament to have as many seeds as they can survive in a long while with 15 of 16 advancing to the Round of 16, the only exception being Gulbis, and all of them coincidentally are Top 20 players, making every match tough on paper.

Which of the following storylines and matches would you watch?

1. Federer vs. Monfils: This is the rematch of the DC Final. Monfils got Fed's number here, but Fed seemingly didn't recover yet from his back problem that happened during the WTF Semifinal. Monfils is just recovering from his injury from Miami while Fed is in nice form. However Monfils seem to up his level when it's "showtime" so this might not be a walk in the park and the main story is could Fed have his "revenge".

2. Nadal vs. Isner: Nadal is still trying to find his good form after some rough losses in IW and Miami. Meanwhile Isner has shown that he's doing well in the past weeks with good IW and Miami runs. Nadal lost against another big hitter in Raonic but this is Clay. The story is can Isner capitalize on Nadal's slump, or will Nadal show that he's still currently King of Clay even after setbacks.

3. Berdych vs. Bautista-Agut: An odd matchup that actually has both players get 2 wins against their opponent. Berdych beat RBA on their past Clay match in RG I think, but RBA seem to be playing great ball this tourney. Not seen much of Berdych to know how he's doing but RBA surely is doing very well. The main story is which player gets the H2H lead?

4. Ferrer vs. Simon: This matchup is surely going the distance ideally. Ferrer beat Simon in past two meetings in AO, where Simon really didn't fade away and Ferrer had to fight for it. That being said it was an easier match last time in Miami but the 1st was brutal. Who would outlast the other?

5. Raonic vs. Robredo: Raonic seemingly has Robredo's number so let's see if Robredo could turn it around and show whose boss on Clay.

6. Cilic vs. Tsonga: Battle of the (Recovering) Big Hitters. Tsonga has the edge on Clay IMO.

7. Wawrinka vs. Dimitrov: OHBH shotmaking battle that will see if Stan could keep his level up or will Dimitrov find the way to win.

8. Djokovic vs. Haider-Maurer: In a tournament where 15 of the 16 seeds advanced, one unseeded player stood out among the rest. However, that unseeded player would have to face the #1 Seed. Not only that it is probably one of the most upset proof #1 seeds you could know. Will the Underdog win against the Top Dog?

Which matches do you think would be the best (in terms of quality, drama, shots, matchup or whatever criteria you have)?

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Wawrinka vs Dimitrov is too low on your list in my opinion. Much better looking match on paper than Simon-Ferrer, Robredo Raonic, Berdych-Agut, and Tsonga-Cilic imo.

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wawrinka vs Dimitrov is too low on your list in my opinion. Much better looking match on paper than Simon-Ferrer, Robredo Raonic, Berdych-Agut, and Tsonga-Cilic imo.
This was not in any particular order. :)

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Isner-Nadal and Monfils-Fed are the ones I want to see tomorrow. I may watch Wawrinka's match and hope he doesn't spray errors but goes into Stanimal mode.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
even for the haters of Dimitrov it's pretty obvious that entertainment wise Wawrinka - Dimitrov has most potential.

Similar styles, one more compact hitter with more regularity and rhythm against a more plastic, better defender with finess, touch and variety.

Should be a great one.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Djoker vs. Haider-Maurer is rather unexciting.
Wawrinka vs. Dimitrov is the best, very exciting.

All the other matches will be interesting to watch as well, so I voted for all matches except for Djoker vs. Maurer :p

Reactions: 17-6-302

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
Probably nothing to see at Djokovic vs AHM, same with Ferrer - Simon I won't bother watching Berdych vs RBA and meh at Raonic vs Robredo

but Nadal vs Isner, Monfils vs Federer and Wawrinka vs Dimitrov are definetly the matches to see

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I didn't notice this until after I voted, but Djokovic - AHM is the only first time matchup. All others have played at least 3 times against each other. Here are the current H2Hs

Wawrinka 2-1 Dimitrov
Roberdo 0-3 Raonic
Monfils 3-8 Federer
Berdych 2-2 RBA
Nadal 4-0 Isner
Tsonga 1-3 Cilic
Djokovic 0-0 Haider-Maurer
Simon 2-7 Ferrer

Reactions: Featherer

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well Dimitrov matches come with drama, no doubt. Stan is arguably not in form lately, as is Dimitrov, but latest matches indicate they might be raising the level. Both play aesthetically pleasing BH's. I'm expecting a contested first set, probably close score too. I look forward to some good winners and a tough battle.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Matches with Fed and Nadal have upset potential. Wawa-Dimi is the most intresting on paper. If you didn`t see Ferrer-Simon this year, then good luck with this one. I will switch on Berdych or Raonic match only if see the real fight on score. I have strong feeling Cilic-Tsonga will be errorfest and you should pay me to watch Novak destroying anothe player without a chance of touching him after Ramos match.

Like that. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Some three set matches would be nice.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Wawrinka vs Dimi, cilic vs Tsonga and Federer vs La Monf.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Dimitrov-Wawrinka and Federer Monfils shoudl be good, Tsonga-Cilic potentially, who'd know with both just back

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
The only thing that sucks is that the matches start at 4:30am and Wawrinka-Dimitrov and Raoniv-Robredo are on first

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts