Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today quarterfinals played at Foro Italico:

Quinzi b. Sinicropi 64 64
Gaio b. Mager 62 63
Donati b. Eremin 63 63
Caruso b. Napolitano 63 62

Tomorrow will be played the semifinals between the winners of QF. Who win will play the tournament in main draw, who lose in qualies.

Quinzi vs Gaio
Donati vs Caruso

The losers of today are again the chance to gain one of the two remaining wildcard for qualies.

Sinicropi vs Mager
Eremin vs Napolitano.

Who win will play qualies

·
Registered
68,579 Posts
quinzi is so taking the mdwc...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Silly that Quinzi and Donati (let's assume) are the MD Wild Cards while Vanni and Cecchinato aren't even in qualies. Neither is Arnaboldi, Travaglia, Marcora, other high rated italians

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Di Mauro could have won this, had he showed up.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Silly that Quinzi and Donati (let's assume) are the MD Wild Cards while Vanni and Cecchinato aren't even in qualies. Neither is Arnaboldi, Travaglia, Marcora, other high rated italians
Vanni and Cecchinato have both received an invitation for this pre-qualies tournament but they withdrew, Caruso was initially a reserve.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Vanni and Cecchinato have both received an invitation for this pre-qualies tournament but they withdrew, Caruso was initially a reserve.
That is not the point. A more fair system is to have 2 main draw WCs and 2 QWC in play here and give the remaining two qualifying wild cards to the highest rated italians or ones in good form

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Forza Quinzi!

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
That is not the point. A more fair system is to have 2 main draw WCs and 2 QWC in play here and give the remaining two qualifying wild cards to the highest rated italians or ones in good form
It could be an idea. If it were up to me I wouldn't even run this farce of a tourney, Caruso could be in the MD while a guy like Vanni, who at the moment has the support of literally every italian, is out.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Vanni withdrew because he qualified in Madrid...
Well, I thought it was clear the reason why, I mean he was still playing today in Madrid :)
Cecchinato choose the Rome Garden, rightly so judging by the results.

A couple more of withdrawls and Bolelli's WC won't be necessary though so Vanni still has a shot at the MD.

·
MONSOON season.
81,993 Posts
Quinzi and Donati winning would be good for the tournament :shrug:

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Well, I thought it was clear the reason why, I mean he was still playing today in Madrid :)
Cecchinato choose the Rome Garden, rightly so judging by the results.

A couple more of withdrawls and Bolelli's WC won't be necessary though so Vanni still has a shot at the MD.
I mean, if I'm not missing something, among all the players that battle for the wildcards, there are 0 atp tour matches won, 0 challenger titles, 1 challenger final (Donati in Napoli). And Vanni can't play because he qualified to a m1000 and won a main draw match there. Ridiculous, if you think about it.
Let's hope for more withdrawals.

Cecchinato made a choice. He had the main draw wildcard last year, anyway.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
i am shocked cecchinato didnt get a wild card considering his ranking,recent good form,winner of a challenger in italy and that he would have won his match here last year if not for epic choking.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
i am shocked cecchinato didnt get a wild card considering his ranking,recent good form,winner of a challenger in italy and that he would have won his match here last year if not for epic choking.
Once the Federation decided this system, there wasn't that much of a choice. They invited Cecchinato to the pre-qualy, but he chose not to play. Problem is that it's a ridiculous system.

(The system is that the first 2 main draw wildcards go to the 2 Italians with best ranking out of the main draw and all other wildcards are decided by pre-qualy)

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
I mean, if I'm not missing something, among all the players that battle for the wildcards, there are 0 atp tour matches won, 0 challenger titles, 1 challenger final (Donati in Napoli). And Vanni can't play because he qualified to a m1000 and won a main draw match there. Ridiculous, if you think about it.
Let's hope for more withdrawals.

Cecchinato made a choice. He had the main draw wildcard last year, anyway.
True, it's just ridiculous. I get the impression this tourney is only there to sell more FIT cards to club players who play the regional stage.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Considering Lorenzi is even struggling physically at the moment Cecchinato really could use a MD WC...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Italian tennis looks good atm, among all the "youngsters" (Cecchinato, Quinzi, Caruso, Donati, Napolitano, Eremin, Gaio, Travaglia...) who are the best prospects according to you ? This week I saw another name in Rome CH (Berettini).

BTW I also see that Bellotti is 45-9 this season !!!

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Once the Federation decided this system, there wasn't that much of a choice. They invited Cecchinato to the pre-qualy, but he chose not to play. Problem is that it's a ridiculous system.

(The system is that the first 2 main draw wildcards go to the 2 Italians with best ranking out of the main draw and all other wildcards are decided by pre-qualy)
wow,i agree,that is a stupid way of doing things

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Italian tennis looks good atm, among all the "youngsters" (Cecchinato, Quinzi, Caruso, Donati, Napolitano, Eremin, Gaio, Travaglia...) who are the best prospects according to you ? This week I saw another name in Rome CH (Berettini).

Donati.

Caruso and Napolitano are CH level. Berettini is good on fast surfaces too. I actually never saw Gaio and Eremin play so I'll refrain from express opinions. Quinzi turned out to be overhyped for his actual level.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

i'd say cecchinato, quinzi, caruso and donati are the best of the new group. donati could probably be the best of them .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts