Mens Tennis Forums banner

3661 - 3680 of 3714 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Cause higher education is a universal right. Tell me what Germany lacks that US has, by not charging students for enrolling at state universities?
It isn't actually, and rightly so since it makes little sense. Plumbers and bricklayers are essential to society too, why should they finance with their taxes the studies of people who will later make much more money and work in much better conditions than them?

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
It isn't actually, and rightly so since it makes little sense. Plumbers and bricklayers are essential to society too, why should they finance with their taxes the studies of people who will later make much more money and work in much better conditions than them?
If that is so terrible for the society, German tax payers should be in revolt, no? (read in Nadal's voice)

University of Heidelberg is welcoming ANYBODY who is clever enough, (ie good CV, letter of motivation and so on) to enroll there free of charge (except the expenses that I mentioned before) and university is still one of the very best in Europe, and has been for centuries.

·
RAVE ON
18,023 Posts
Cause higher education is a universal right. Tell me what Germany lacks that US has, by not charging students for enrolling at state universities?
You don’t have a universal right to be given anything.

Governments decide how the wealth of a country will be distributed.

·
RAVE ON
18,023 Posts
If that is so terrible for the society, German tax payers should be in revolt, no? (read in Nadal's voice)

University of Heidelberg is welcoming ANYBODY who is clever enough, (ie good CV, letter of motivation and so on) to enroll there free of charge (except the expenses that I mentioned before) and university is still one of the very best in Europe, and has been for centuries.
So, there you are. It is not universal at all. In the example you give, it is selective.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,089 Posts
Your idealism astounds even me. Good in theory, but often terrible in practice.

To answer your question here in the most direct means possible:

What Germany lacks relative to the US is proportion of university aged young adults. They just aren't having as many kids (oh I can now see you pulling that anti-natalism thing again lol). That means a big deal, especially noting the 50-60 group makes up the largest proportion of Germans. They can afford to cough up some tax towards the future.

European Union as a whole is similar:

The other big issue I see relates to how useful university education is in practice. We say that it would be ideal for everyone to get college education, but the benefits only work out if the student gets the right degree and the right job at the end of it. For all the perks of college education, this is often not the case. More education does not mean more intelligent people. After all, we do try to send our kids to at least graduate high school. Don't they all have the same education at least outwardly speaking? So it is with college education. Making people attend college and even handing out degrees doesn't fix this problem.

What a lot of universities are sadly doing is lowering their bar of standards just so that they can get money to fund their facilities. They will introduce a bunch of useless courses just so that the student can get a certificate at the end of it and feel successful, without really giving them anything that will truly be useful employment wise. And people are buying into that. It becomes too much of a dream and a rite of passage to go to university that everyone does it. Not for the education but for the experience. I'm not saying university education is inherently bad but it can be exploited. It has been this way even when I'm talking about the US college system.

The truth is that not everyone is cut out for university education. Sure, we can say that we want equity in terms of increasing minority/low socio-economic class students entering university, and it's a good idea to provide some funding towards that (e.g. scholarships) but we cannot simply open the gates for everyone to go to university without cost, because there will be further costs pent up in the future to everyone involved. And mind you I wouldn't mind funding someone's college education if they were going to make the most of it. But funding someone's college education when they are bludging classes and going for the parties, then end up figuring they aren't going to make the cut? That's absurd. Free college education will simply exacerbate this problem.

This response from a guy named Jon Davis really nails the point on its head, and I recommend you read it from the perspective of an American who worked for his education:

Free education ideals often just ends up raising some really bad habits in the end. As a lowkey off topic example, at the Roads and Maritime Services in New South Wales, Australia, people used to be able to complete a Driver Knowledge Test (a computerised multiple choice quiz of 45 questions) free of charge. A DKT is simply a test of road knowledge, signs, safety and vehicle control which must be passed for the person to get a learner's driver license. They had some practice ones online too. So many senior high school students often went there and would just do the quiz whenever. If they failed, it was fine. They just went on to try again, and again and again if need be. Then they decided to charge a fee of roughly $40-45 when I applied. Now because of the cost, I really wanted to make sure I read that driver's handbook in good detail and understood the questions well by doing the practice stuff. I was happy to have passed each of my individual license tests on the first go. My mother who learnt driving at the age of 42 took seven attempts to pass the driver's exam (this is the one on the road), each attempt costing around $50-60. Unfortunately when it comes to life, in some departments we will fail, but we should not be allowed to think that failure is so easy or dissociated from cost! Otherwise we lose sight of seriousness.

Now as I write this, I hardly paid for my college education.
I received a $20,000 (AUD) scholarship for my undergraduate degree and was paid $25,500 per annum during my PhD. During my PhD, I had to work on some analytical instruments. The charge was $30 per hour and I used say 200 hours for one experiment. That's $6000. It don't come cheap. Luckily for me, it was only $30 per hour. The true cost if it is done commercially and not academically is $350 per hour. So I can say I have been fortunate with my education experience. But can everyone get this? No. I was in the top 0.75% of students in my state for the final Yr 12 examinations, and one of 4 scholarship holders for my advanced science degree, and I kept up to it with a HD average for the degree including two years where I was the most outstanding student of my degree. To get a PhD scholarship, you need to get First Class Honours (i.e score 85 or above in Honours research program). The PhD also generates substantial data that could be publishable, thus in part they also make good use of you as a research assistant though you do not get paid nearly as much as a post-doc.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
RAVE ON
18,023 Posts

He touched her on the shoulders and the alt-right goes crazy.

Trump grabs them by the pussy and the alt-right considers it OK.

Clearly Biden is not sufficiently deplorable.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wasn't a Dem POTUS the one who stuck his dick in an intern's mouth ('that woman') in the White House? :unsure: I don't recall the Dems minding much...

·
RAVE ON
18,023 Posts
I genuinely wonder if you even know who Thiem is. I mean have you ever discussed tennis once here? ^^
I like Thiem. When it comes to tennis you probably wonder a lot, given your limited experience of the history of the game.

But I have been an avid tennis player and fan since I first had access to a TV and watched Wimbledon. Althea Gibson won that year.
Do you really think I need to discuss tennis here, when the discussion seems to centre around loving or hating Nadal, Federer and Djokovic? Mere blips on the professional tennis time scale.
If you have no personal experience beyond that era, then what can I discuss?
Who here was at a US Open night game with Connors on court?
Who watched live the McEnroe-Borg tiebreak?
Who saw the Rafter-Ivanišević People’s Final live?

Anyone, anyone?

·
RAVE ON
18,023 Posts
I like Thiem. I have hopes he will be the "chosen one" to finally bring down the curtain on the Big Three.
When it comes to tennis you probably wonder a lot, given your limited experience of the history of the game.
My personal favourite was Todd Martin, but there are not many discussion threads for that. #2 was Alex Corretja.

But I have been an avid tennis player and fan since I first had access to a TV and watched Wimbledon. Althea Gibson won that year.
Do you really think I need to discuss tennis here, when the discussion seems to centre around loving or hating Nadal, Federer and Djokovic? Mere blips on the professional tennis time scale.
If you have no personal experience beyond that era, then what can I discuss?
Who here was at a US Open night game with Connors on court?
Who watched live the McEnroe-Borg tiebreak?
Who saw the Rafter-Ivanišević People’s Final live?

Anyone, anyone?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I see. Well in that case I want to express major gratitude then that you keep blessing us with your vast political knowledge despite our cluelessness that stems from the fact some of us have not yet been alive during the Nixon era.👀

3661 - 3680 of 3714 Posts