Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your take on this? Personally, I think that if Kohlschreiber keeps this level up, it is really bad news for Nadal. His forehand will go right to Kohlscreiber's backhand striking zone. Could be reminiscent of the Nadal-Youzhny match-up.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Kohlie will lose against Jarkko.

And Nadal would be too consistent for Kohlie.

Kohlie was amazing today, but it was just Roddick, not Federer.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Last year Kohlschreiber was a nobody and took a set off Nadal, and not in TB, but 6:4
Now - who knows... but still I think Nadal will win

Besides, I've got a feeling he'll lose against Jarkko. Pity

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Kohli can win. This guy is playing so well.

Last year Nadal was pissed off because Kohli was head hunting Nadal at net.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My take? They both have to win their 4th round matches first.

As recently as earlier this morning people were speculating about the 'inevitable' Nadal/Roddick QF matchup....

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
jarkko had a easy match against fish.. nevertheless i think kohli will loose because of fatigue :(
Those tournament idiots should give him a night match, unfortunately they won't do so I think

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
First he needs to get past Nieminen which is no given.

Secondly, tiredness will play a factor and while he looks as fit as a fiddle he is not used to playing at such a level in grand slams year in and year out.

Third, assuming he does get through, I think (not sure) that it would be his first appearance in a grand slam quarter final and the occassion might just get to him.

Fourth, the H2H is very much in favour of Nadal including a win in 4 sets in last year's Australian Open.

Fifth, the match up issue between Nadal and Youzhny is totally different. Youzhny has more firepower on the forehand side than Kohli and more venom behind his serve. In the first couple of sets when roddick was looping his shots to the kohlschreiber BH he was looping them back a lot. He only started hitting through them more when they came at him faster and lower. Youzhny has a penchant for taking that looping high ball early on his backhand and taking it early- he does this much more effectively than Philip does I feel.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Not going to happen. He will be too tired to even reach Nadal.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The only thing I can think of preventing Philipp from moving over Niemenen is fatigue. If you watched the Jarkko match today, he's playing nowhere near the level required to beat Philipp.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The only thing I can think of preventing Philipp from moving over Niemenen is fatigue. If you watched the Jarkko match today, he's playing nowhere near the level required to beat Philipp.
I kind of agree with this, though you need to remember that playing against Nieminen is pretty much the exact opposite of playing against Roddick. Regardless of if Kohlschreiber wins or loses to Nieminen, he will not look even remotely as good as he did today against Roddick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually, Kohlschreiber commented after losing to Rafa in Stuttgart last year how hard it was for him to deal with the heavy spin Nadal forehand to his backhand. He made numerous errors on the backhand and Nadal wasn't even fully healthy.

If he is made to play for another 4 or 5 sets against Nieminen I just cannot imagine him beating Nadal who hasn't given up a single set yet because of fatigue issues. Unless of course Rafa struggles against Mathieu like in RG06. Hopefully not!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't know if fatigue will be a factor for Kohlschreiber in the next match. There were not very long points between him and Roddick as the win/error statistic shows. And don't forget that in the previous match Kohlschreiber only played two little sets.

I think it will more be about consistency. If he can keep his level he even has a chance to reach the final, but it is a big "if" indeed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm a Nadal fan and I'm scared of Kohlschreiber :p While I understand that Kohl has to get through Niemenen in order to meet Nadal (and Nadal through Mathieu), the majority of this board also thought that Kohlschreiber would be no match for Roddick. He may be tired after all these long matches, but he's got a lot of confidence and I don't see him succumbing to the pressure against Nadal on a big stage - just as he didn't against Roddick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts