Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think can come out of retirement?
I still think A-Rod can easily be a top-20 player in this weakest era ever. Don't think he is worse than Querrey. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Who do you think can come out of retirement?
I still think A-Rod can easily be a top-20 player in this weakest era ever. Don't think he is worse than Querrey. Your thoughts?

Today is far from the weakest era ever of course. And Roddick retired because he couldn't hang anymore at the very highest levels and didn't want to put his shoulder (injured multiple times) and body through it.

8 years have passed since Andy retired. He was outside the top 20 when he left and he'd be further outside of it today, easily.

Troll thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today is far from the weakest era ever of course. And Roddick retired because he couldn't hang anymore at the very highest levels and didn't want to put his shoulder (injured multiple times) and body through it.

8 years have passed since Andy retired. He was outside the top 20 when he left and he'd be further outside of it today, easily.

Troll thread.
Federer was almost outside of top-10 and injured in 2013. So what? Roddick probably hates tennis, otherwise he'd still be an active top-32 player with deep Wimbledon runs from 2013 to 2019.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Federer was almost outside of top-10 and injured in 2013. So what? Roddick probably hates tennis, otherwise he'd still be an active top-32 player with deep Wimbledon runs from 2013 to 2019.
Andy Roddick was getting straight-setted on hard by guys like Steve Darcis and Chardy by the time he left. He also had recurring problems keeping his shoulder healthy and so the serve was going to be a problem too.

He left when he should have left given what he could do. Andy was never short on hard work and left at the right time.

Federer had short term issues, not long term ones like Roddick. Not even remotely comparable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy Roddick was getting straight-setted on hard by guys like Steve Darcis and Chardy by the time he left. He also had recurring problems keeping his shoulder healthy and so the serve was going to be a problem too.

He left when he should have left given what he could do. Andy was never short on hard work and left at the right time.

Federer had short term issues, not long term ones like Roddick. Not even remotely comparable.
Can't blame him though. Who would have thought in 2012 that the weakest era is around the corner?

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Can't blame him though. Who would have thought in 2012 that the weakest era is around the corner?
No one would have thought it and they were all correct. Andy's own career best, his USO win, happened at a lower point than any time after that.

I actually like Roddick but come on, man. Discussions about weak eras typically just reveal weak-ass arguments.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No one would have thought it and they were all correct. Andy's own career best, his USO win, happened at a lower point than any time after that.

I actually like Roddick but come on, man. Discussions about weak eras typically just reveal weak-ass arguments.
We can agree to disagree.
I have my own view on current state of men's tennis, and you have your own. Men's tennis in general is just on the decline. And I'm not talking about Slams, Big-3 dominance or nextgen. It's about the popularity among kids and teenagers. Nowadays tennis is the 3rd choice at best for a talented boy. And it's going to be even worse in years to come.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
We can agree to disagree.
I have my own view on current state of men's tennis, and you have your own. Men's tennis in general is just on the decline. And I'm not talking about Slams, Big-3 dominance or nextgen. It's about the popularity among kids and teenagers. Nowadays tennis is the 3rd choice at best for a talented boy. And it's going to be even worse in years to come.
The average top 100 player today is in better shape and has a stronger ground game, which is mostly what the game is, than at any time in the past. There are more people playing tennis all across the world now than at any time in the past as well.

Tennis is second or third choice in more countries than ever. It was never first choice virtually in any large country. France and Spain have very broad and deep tennis cultures for example and much more youth training than they ever did in the past.

People often see things through rose colored glasses depending on when they started watching and whom they liked the most.

I started with Borg, McEnroe, Connors and Vilas and the general trend has been upward in tennis. Some things get lost but the overall level tends to rise across time.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
atp is not wta...i expect no one

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts

Troll thread.
Roddick's last US Open he only lost to a motivated Del Potro. Was actually doing well against him, Del Potro just too good though.

Reactions: tribalfusion

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Roddick's last US Open he only lost to a motivated Del Potro. Was actually doing well against him, Del Potro just too good though.
True but do you recall the other bad losses before that and his interviews? He was hurting and happy to be done with the grind.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Andy left at the right time, he did the right thing.
lLeave him alone...... Now if we were talking about the women, I can think of a GS champion who won one main draw match this year and should seriously go back to her other interests.

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
lLeave him alone...... Now if we were talking about the women, I can think of a GS champion who won one main draw match this year and should seriously go back to her other interests.
who?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Kuzzy? She’s 35 but still good enough to keep playing. She did lot of work to go from 200 to top 35 last couple years so I think she will stick with it.

If you talking about Venus, I agree. She was 1-8 in 2020. She’s going to be 41 next year. She’s done. Completely done. It’s almost sad watching her play realizing she’s only playing bc she has nothing else in her life to do like raise a family. Something depressing about seeing an older never been married female.

Not many men I can think of that could come back right now and be competitive. Maybe players like Berdych and Tsonga although neither would be a slam threat.

Berd’s last match at US Open was an embarrassing way to end a career.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts