Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pospisil opens on who of the big 3 was for and against the player union to stop the discrepancy of Slams taking in some much money and giving the players so little, and says Fedal were against it. He also says the coronavirus relief was Djokovic's idea.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Are we talking about the player union which came out of the air and was presented by Djokovic during the regular pre-AO meeting without any form of communication?

Can't blame the 20 guys to be against this form of dictatorship. To no surprise, Federer and Nadal joined the player council again, because of the mess Djokovic made (e.g. controversial removal of Kermode). I'm all for applauding his achievements, but it's clear the guy doesn't really know how to be a leader. His relief fund is not working either.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
I posted this a few weeks ago in this thread (although a few Federer fans didn't want to believe it and figured it just had to be because Pospisil/Djokovic had some ulterior 'dark' agenda): ATP and WTA are, probably, going to unite

Federer and Nadal care more about their own cheque books than the lower ranked players. If that wasn't the case, the player's union would already be in place. Vasek basically says as much in that video.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
Are we talking about the player union which came out of the air and was presented by Djokovic during the regular pre-AO meeting without any form of communication?

Can't blame the 20 guys to be against this form of dictatorship. To no surprise, Federer and Nadal joined the player council again, because of the mess Djokovic made. I'm all for applauding his achievements, but it's clear the guy doesn't really know how to be a leader. His relief fund is not working either.
No, we're talking about the union that Pospisil attempted to form (and gained massive participation on among both ATP and WTA players alike) while he was injured for almost the entirety of the 2019 season before it was essentially vetoed by Federer and Nadal at the end of last year (who appear to be only on the council to do the slams/master tournaments' bidding).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Can't blame the 20 guys to be against this form of dictatorship. To no surprise, Federer and Nadal joined the player council again, because of the mess Djokovic made (e.g. controversial removal of Kermode). I'm all for applauding his achievements, but it's clear the guy doesn't really know how to be a leader. His relief fund is not working either.
Well Pospisil thinks differently about Djokovic and spoke very highly of him in that interview, saying how much Novak cares and tries to help the lower ranked guys. Fedal...not so much. And no, the payer union was a movement that went on for quite a while trying to get their union formed and make it so that the players get more 14% of revenue at Slams. Pospisil even says that isn't true and they have seen evidence they are getting even less than that.

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
he's like a slightly less obnoxious greta thunberg.

who the hell cares if federer and nadal didnt want a merger before. does anyone really care, does anyone really need to know that? or care.

i get , in a way that he doesnt want everyone to credit them for getting this idea rolling but , again it shouldnt bother him.

and who the hell does he think he is saying krygios shouldnt be commenting on this.
I expect those who give a shit about whether the lower ranked players ever can make a good living at this sport (which is necessary for the growth of the sport as a whole) care about the reasons behind why a player's union isn't in place.

If the reason is because the two most powerful players in the sport don't want it to happen, why shouldn't we know that? And why shouldn't Pospisil communicate it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Vasek should be careful. His story doesn't fit the narrative. After all, Stakhovsky said Federer and Nadal are good for the council, no?

I do not trust anyone who has ever been part of the Nike monopoly. Especially, when they say they care about lower ranked players.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I posted this a few weeks ago in this thread (although a few Federer fans didn't want to believe it and figured it just had to be because Pospisil/Djokovic had some ulterior 'dark' agenda): ATP and WTA are, probably, going to unite

Federer and Nadal care more about their own cheque books than the lower ranked players. If that wasn't the case, the player's union would already be in place. Vasek basically says as much in that video.
Federer cares more about his Laver Cup and conflicts of interest, which is why he didn't want Kermode removed so he could keep raking it the cash with no one saying anything. How can you form something like that with Tennis Australia, who hosts one of the Slams where you play? This is why he wants to keep the status quo and keep things the way they are, so he can keep his cash flow.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
Vasek should be careful. His story doesn't fit the narrative. After all, Stakhovsky said Federer and Nadal are good for the council, no?
Don't worry, the tennis media would never report anything that could ever possibly paint Federer or Nadal in a negative light. It's why this story never broke out in the first place six months ago when they initially stopped the union idea in its tracks.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
No, we're talking about the union that Pospisil attempted to form (and gained massive participation on among both ATP and WTA players alike) while he was injured for almost the entirety of the 2019 season before it was essentially vetoed by Federer and Nadal at the end of last year (who appear to be only on the council to do the slams/master tournaments' bidding).
But the union still has the same intentions so it's the same idea Djokovic suddenly presented years ago.

Pospisil's intentions seem fair, but this guy is a little bit naive imo. The reason why he's making a lot of money is because of the top guys. Not the other way around.

Federer and Nadal are not against lower ranked players earning more money. They have stated that lots of times during slams, together with Murray. They just want more transparancy and better communication from the leading council members.

Reactions: Cloren

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
he's like a slightly less obnoxious greta thunberg.

and who the hell does he think he is saying krygios shouldnt be commenting on this.
This is not about the merger though and I think he sees through Federer and is not afraid of him. He knew he was trying to pretend the merger was his idea when it was brought to the ATP by someone else, and had been in talks in private for a while. Federer tried to take credit and boost his image, which is what he cares about the most: his image.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
Federer cares more about his Laver Cup and conflicts of interest, which is why he didn't want Kermode removed so he could keep raking it the cash with no one saying anything. How can you form something like that with Tennis Australia, who hosts one of the Slams where you play? This is why he wants to keep the status quo and keep things the way they are, so he can keep his cash flow.
Keeping up the status quo is exactly why Federer and Nadal joined the counsel last year. Djokovic (and of late Pospisil) have been making too much noise for too long about unions and boycotting slams to change/better the sport for the lower ranked guys and the establishment had to put a stop to it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This. It's really kind of underhanded when you think about it.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
I expect those who give a shit about whether the lower ranked players ever can make a good living at this sport (which is necessary for the growth of the sport as a whole) care about the reasons behind why a player's union isn't in place.

If the reason is because the two most powerful players in the sport don't want it to happen, why shouldn't we know that? And why shouldn't Pospisil communicate it?
This is not about the merger though and I think he sees through Federer and is not afraid of him. He knew he was trying to pretend the merger was his idea when it was brought to the ATP by someone else, and had been in talks in private for a while. Federer tried to take credit and boost his image, which is what he cares about the most: his image.
i get that he's not afraid of federer but pospisil's whole attitude here and in general just rubs me the wrong way. i think a lot of people do see through federer but dont feel the need to call him out. it doesnt serve a purpose

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't worry, the tennis media would never report anything that could ever possibly paint Federer or Nadal in a negative light. It's why this story never broke out in the first place six months ago when they initially stopped the union idea in its tracks.
Exactly, and it's crickets since this interview hit today. Nothing from any main news source where I think this is news. Yesterday, it was plastered everywhere how Djokovic supposedly broke Spanish protocol to practice on a tennis court. Turns out, the tennis club told him he could practice and didn't quite understand the rules.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
But the union still has the same intentions so it's the same idea Djokovic suddenly presented years ago.
Are we talking like 7-8 years ago now? Yeah, it's basically the same concept as it was then when Djokovic did it (banding together and holding out at slams for more money for the lower ranked guys). Federer shut the door back then too.

Pospisil's intentions seem fair, but this guy is a little bit naive imo. The reason why he's making a lot of money is because of the top guys. Not the other way around.
Vasek literally talks about the importance of the Big 3 in that regard when he says they are carrying the sport. He knows just how important they are right now, but he also comments that that isn't a sustainable form of success long-term.

Federer and Nadal are not against lower ranked players earning more money. They have stated that lots of times during slams, together with Murray. They just want more transparancy and better communication from the leading council members.
Correction: They aren't against lower ranked players earning more money as long as it doesn't change their own personal situations.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts