Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alot of focus has been on his fading FH (from me and everyone else), but lets focus on what is working in his game.

I think the reason he lost last year's Wimbledon final was because he couldnt read Djokovic's serve (they both had about same amount of unreturned serves), in my opinion his return of serve has been great so far against big servers Groth and Querrey. This might be the most important aspect in grass tennis after the serve itself, which to me is a step above last year.

His backhand slice has been very effective aswell, and his BH defense is almost impossible to penetrate for opponents.

Is this enough to beat Murray+Djokovic? If we compare to his 2012 campaign I would say he found a new gear in serving and incredible consistency on his BH from nowhere in SF+F. However back then his FH was still somewhat of a weapon. Just like against Simon, he needs to stick to BH to BH rallies and avoid FH to FH rallies against DJokovic and Murray, which may sound a bit weird as this is one player who once had the best FH of all time and Murray+Djokovic have incredible BHs. But I dont think they can easily outmaneuver the Fed BH on grass.

He should specially try the sneaking in the net after BH slice to slice rallies.

In 2012 he also started really volleying at the highest level I have ever seen from him, this will in the end be the part which is key if he wants to win Wimbledon. Federer cant finish points from the baseline anymore against players with great defense, he will need to approach as good as he can and defend the net like crazy. I think he should focus in approaching with great slices, which is more reliable than the FH side.

BE free to add your own observations.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

All fedtards

"I think the reason he lost last year's Wimbledon final was because he couldnt read Djokovic's serve"
You say that, because fed said it in the press after the W-Final loss..

Djokovic is a better player, Federer will win 1 set max.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Fed is basically weaponless from the baseline these days. He will have to play extremely offensive and if his serve keeps being this good he has a chance against Pushray at least.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Well, take what he did right in Shanghai/Dubai and multiply by 3 sets... :lol:
He will need to slice out of his mind against Djokovic that's for sure, and go for more DTL BHs. Going CC BH exchanges against Djok is not a very good idea. Sadly he only goes DTL when he's really confident these days :shrug:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
He has played a bunch of mug servers and weaponless fools. his backhand was never an issue on grass. Not forehand kill shot is reason alone he will lose to mugray. Plus in 2012 out of nowhere he started playing great.. and that volley net game was crazy in the final.. .dont expect anything like that.. plus i think he's been injured since halle.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I think the reason he lost last year's Wimbledon final was because he couldnt read Djokovic's serve"
You say that, because fed said it in the press after the W-Final loss..

Djokovic is a better player, Federer will win 1 set max.
No, stop with the tardwars. It was because I saw the stats in the middle of 5th set which were something very close in nr of unreturned serves (dont remember exact number, but something around 60 each).

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has played a bunch of mug servers and weaponless fools. his backhand was never an issue on grass. Not forehand kill shot is reason alone he will lose to mugray. Plus in 2012 out of nowhere he started playing great.. and that volley net game was crazy in the final.. .dont expect anything like that.. plus i think he's been injured since halle.
I doubt he is injured, he is serving as good as any time the last year. He had a better claycourt season aswell compared to 2014. I think this is as good preparation as we ever can expect from a 34 year old Federer.

Thing is he wont play Schuettler in slam finals like Agassi his age. Its true he will need to do something truly extraordinary, but dont come with these injury excuses. That is pathetic.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
His FH seems better than last year and I think his best level is better than last year. I think he's definitely playing better than Murray or Djokovic right now. Just needs to play close to, if not his best in the last 2 matches and the title is his.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think he was playing great from the first round from what I saw. Not to mention he was hitting awesome for the whole year but just wasn't quite consistent enough with his game in the clay season and Halle.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

u didnt watch this?

In 2012:
He serve risky 2nd serves (coached by sampras coach), Djoker couldnt ROS.
He went to net and S&V
Hitting well all year on defence and running down the line forehand lethal
Backhand immune to rallies

He needs that racquet back.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

u didnt watch this?

In 2012:
He serve risky 2nd serves (coached by sampras coach), Djoker couldnt ROS.
He went to net and S&V
Hitting well all year on defence and running down the line forehand lethal

He needs that racquet back.
He would not be able to hit a decent BH with that racquet now. Also his serve overall would suffer regardless of the video. So it is a catch 22 for him.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The match vs Murray will tell us what Federer is capable of, in terms of serve, ROS, FH rallies, BH rallies, defense, kill shots, net approach, etc

Only then will we able to speculate on a final vs Djokovic (or Gasquet)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
He lost to Novak last year because Novak played great. He couldn't get away from the baseline and was getting dominated there.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Alot of focus has been on his fading FH (from me and everyone else), but lets focus on what is working in his game.

I think the reason he lost last year's Wimbledon final was because he couldnt read Djokovic's serve (they both had about same amount of unreturned serves), in my opinion his return of serve has been great so far against big servers Groth and Querrey. This might be the most important aspect in grass tennis after the serve itself, which to me is a step above last year.

His backhand slice has been very effective aswell, and his BH defense is almost impossible to penetrate for opponents.

Is this enough to beat Murray+Djokovic? If we compare to his 2012 campaign I would say he found a new gear in serving and incredible consistency on his BH from nowhere in SF+F. However back then his FH was still somewhat of a weapon. Just like against Simon, he needs to stick to BH to BH rallies and avoid FH to FH rallies against DJokovic and Murray, which may sound a bit weird as this is one player who once had the best FH of all time and Murray+Djokovic have incredible BHs. But I dont think they can easily outmaneuver the Fed BH on grass.

He should specially try the sneaking in the net after BH slice to slice rallies.

In 2012 he also started really volleying at the highest level I have ever seen from him, this will in the end be the part which is key if he wants to win Wimbledon. Federer cant finish points from the baseline anymore against players with great defense, he will need to approach as good as he can and defend the net like crazy. I think he should focus in approaching with great slices, which is more reliable than the FH side.

BE free to add your own observations.
He is serving great, moving well and his BH is back. His forehand is average and his stamina is suspect. Those may be what cost him his 8th crown.

Peak Federer and there would be no debate. That forehand finds the net far too often these days. Remember match point 2014?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must say I have never seen Federer play so "Samprasesque" as today. The effortless way he held serve, the amazing way he took advantage of his serve always with mentality to get to the net (not always immediately, sometimes after 2nd show) and how it seemed to not matter the few times he missed 1st serve as he threw just aggressive 2nd serves at Murray.

The clutch way he just awoke to break everytime Murray was serving to stay in the match...

Also the baseline game was mostly not as good as peak Federer, but it improved from 1st set forward. Overall Samprasesque, hold serve without effort and save energy for one return game at end of every set.

Maybe Philippoussis 2003 when he actually serve and volleyed all the time, but then again Mark is not an amazing returner like Murray. This reminded of Agassi-Sampras from 99.

·
Registered
475 Posts
His Forehand has indeed dropped considerably ....used to be his Bread n butter during the Peak years

Specifically looking back at the US open 2004 where he was pulverizing it from every nook of the court

1 - 16 of 16 Posts