Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of those rare matches where tennis was going to lose either way.

Nothing but pushing, nothing but grinding.

Talented shotmaking suffered for hours and hours.

Thank God, it's all over.

·
Registered
57,594 Posts
Choked with the whole draw open to reach the final :facepalm: Double fault at *5-6 in the tiebreak and had several chances early in the third (though Marcel saved most well)

Hopefully Granollers can at least make the final now. Montanes pretty much sealed his career's end here, he'll be out of the top 100 after Nice.

·
23,063 Posts
Kind of disappointed for Montanes as I thought he controlled the match more than Granollers and wasted so many opportunities of break points. Had a very nice start with double breaks but for some reason wasn't able to really make all of them count -- he could've even bagelled Granollers IMO in the 1st Set. 2nd Set was closer as Granollers upped his level, but Montanes still kind of kept the same game and wasn't able to capitalize openings on Granollers' serve as I think there were no BPs for Granollers in the 2nd Set (also the set gave very nice net points from both, especially Top Doubles Player Granollers). At the Tiebreak Montanes wasn't able to really push to the next level although I think he did a good job leveling it back on serve -- that is, until he double faulted on *5-6... 3rd Set Granollers started to become shaky again but Montanes wasn't able to capitalize and as the games go on Granollers seems to get stronger while Montanes seems to not bother Granollers much anymore. He had an opening of 2 BPs on one game I think and wasn't able to win them. After he was broken he hasn't won another game...

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
expected result.
well done marcel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts