Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First challenger title (in just his second final) in Lucone's career. He was very solid with his serve tonight: 15 aces, included 4 in the 2nd set tiebreak only, and only 2 break points faced (both saved). He wasn't even missing too much from baseline and took profit of a couple of lucky netcords (one quite big on deuce, right after saving break point)...
I can't say that Zemlja played bad, especially in the 2nd set. He just was never able to break Vanni, but that's not all his fault. His worst error was that forehand in the first point of the tiebreak.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Too bad Zemlja, thought he had this. First time he lost at home. Still very positive tournament, wish him a speedy comeback to top 60, he finally seems to be over his mono phase.

Reactions: Spadea TT

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Luca:D
Nice to see him get his first title after Sao Paulo and after having so many bad losing streaks this year.
:)

·
Registered
21,710 Posts
Yay :)

Vanni hit a rough patch after his Sao Paulo run, partially because of injury. Hopefully this can start his march to the top 100 (still managed to end up at exactly #100 in May), he should be capable of being ranked there for a couple of years. This win puts him back in the top 120 again.

·
Registered
21,710 Posts
Hell no, he won't be top 100 for years.
He has a complete game that can be effective on every surface and has very little mileage for a 30-year-old, I'm confident. Nothing too spectacular of course, just hanging around in the 70~100 region.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has a complete game that can be effective on every surface and has very little mileage for a 30-year-old, I'm confident. Nothing too spectacular of course, just hanging around in the 70~100 region.
When his serve is on, he can go deep in tournaments as he did this week, beating a couple of good players like Gombos and Zemlja. Unfortunately, his body is too prone to injury to sustain top100 level continuously, in my opinion.
This year, for example, it's true that he had injuries after Sao Paulo, but it's also true that he has played too much on clay, where his weapons are weakened. I'm afraid he did that to preserve his knees.

·
Registered
21,710 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts