Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Groth-Hewitt

Votes: 13 30.2%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so lots of suggestions for the reverse singles being tossed around elsewhere, let's help Oz DC captain Wally Masur out with the collective wisdom of MTF.:)

After a heroic effort by Groth-Hewitt, Australia is still alive but down 1-2 to a team bought and paid for even more than the Australians get!

Currently the draw for the reverse singles is:

4. Kyrgios v Kukushkin
5. Nedovyesov v Kokkinakis.

So seven possible combos by my count. Note that there has to be a fair chance the Kazakhs will substitute Golubev for Nedovyesov to avoid the latter having to play all three days.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
They should play Kokkinakis and Groth. Someone who whined that he didn't want to be there during his match is a clown and has no right to play Davis Cup.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
It's a tough one. I've been up here all week and Kyrgios hasn't appeared interested once. Zero intensity in his practice sessions, barely paying attention in pressers, giving minimal support today and the classic "I don't want to be here" which of course was in reference to the scoreline at the time and not Davis Cup as a whole.

With all that being said, he's the best chance Australia have of sending the tie into a 5th rubber, so I'd play him. Then it's Groth v Kokk. Big Sammy doesn't handle pressure well, while the Kokk's demonstrated in his short career that he can thrive in the big moments. The only reason why Groth will be considered is the makeshift grass-court. Personally I'd play Kokk, but I think Groth will get the nod.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Snubbing the youngster who has always displayed a great attitude for someone who is only marginally better at best, together with leaving someone with a horrific attitude like Kyrgios in, would be a great way to demotivate him.

·
23,541 Posts
I still think that Kyrgios and Kokk are the best chance for Australia, though I think Kokk may be replaced by Groth IMO if they "feel lucky" of thinking Groth could win it even though it could be 50:50 and also getting the youngsters show that they really trust them.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snubbing the youngster who has always displayed a great attitude for someone who is only marginally better at best, together with leaving someone with a horrific attitude like Kyrgios in, would be a great way to demotivate him.
Fair point.

It's a toss up whether Groth is likely to be marginally better in any case - good grass form and great doubles performance, and game arguably more suited to this very fast grass (though may have slowed a bit after a couple of days play). But out on the field alone, is he likely to crumble under the pressure? High chance, whereas Kokk is always clutch.

Also with the benefit of the experience of Friday, good chance Kokkinakis can up his game even against goating Kazakhs!

Pretty heavy burden to place on Kokkinakis though in the event that the fifth is still a live rubber.

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts
Good to see we appreciate Groth, but Groth-Kokkinakis seems weird to me... We must be basing this on yesterday? Don't forget Thanasis performance...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good to see we appreciate Groth, but Groth-Kokkinakis seems weird to me... We must be basing this on yesterday? Don't forget Thanasis performance...
What in particular about Thanasi's performance? Lost to a goating higher ranked DC-Kukushkin in Bolleli-Seppi slaying mode.

And even on Nick, have to remember that DC-Nedovyesov managed to defeat the Fog in five hard fought sets.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
5th live rubber = Hewitt if he says he is honestly physically good to go. His DC mentality can put him in position to win, but he needs to have the legs.

4th rubber - Captain needs to have a serious talk with Kyrgios.
If he can't motivate Nick to get 100% involved, then unceremoniously dump him.
But he is their best shot, so it's worth making a big effort to motivate him.

Groth/Kokkinakis have pluses and minuses. Sam played well at Wimbledon in a fine losing effort to Federer, was a force in the doubles, but Thanasi has the potential to rise, especially if captain shows confidence in him and can inspire him. Again, I as captain, would need to talk to both and see where they are at mentally/physically, and then make a decision.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
5th live rubber = Hewitt if he says he is honestly physically good to go. His DC mentality can put him in position to win, but he needs to have the legs.

4th rubber - Captain needs to have a serious talk with Kyrgios.
If he can't motivate Nick to get 100% involved, then unceremoniously dump him.
But he is their best shot, so it's worth making a big effort to motivate him.

Groth/Kokkinakis have pluses and minuses. Sam played well at Wimbledon in a fine losing effort to Federer, was a force in the doubles, but Thanasi has the potential to rise, especially if captain shows confidence in him and can inspire him. Again, I as captain, would need to talk to both and see where they are at mentally/physically, and then make a decision.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Yes problem is the fourth rubber really - Kokk can mostly likely win the fifth, especially under pressure.

Hewitt unlikely to be up to another match in reality, so do you play Kyrgios or sub in Groth?

·
|
15,024 Posts
I still think that Kyrgios and Kokk are the best chance for Australia, though I think Kokk may be replaced by Groth IMO if they "feel lucky" of thinking Groth could win it even though it could be 50:50 and also getting the youngsters show that they really trust them.
Trust is something you earn.
Nobody owes Kyrygios trust, nor respect or anything else....

·
|
15,024 Posts
Yes problem is the fourth rubber really - Kokk can mostly likely win the fifth, especially under pressure.

Hewitt unlikely to be up to another match in reality, so do you play Kyrgios or sub in Groth?
Throw Kyrgios a basketball and say "go fetch another career" :yeah:

·
23,541 Posts
Trust is something you earn.
Nobody owes Kyrygios trust, nor respect or anything else....
That though, but what I meant is that putting unconditional trust to Kyrgios could make him pressure to actually do well having the captain bet on him after the previous fiasco, not embarrass himself in front of the homecrowd, seeing the ability he could produce -- I think Kyrgios has pride enough not to be beaten by the Kazakhs in his home country in the most important moment IMO.

·
Registered
199 Posts
On the first day the Kazakhs played like they had nothing to lose and were free swinging.

Now that they can taste victory the complexion changes.

We need to play the guys that play best under pressure. I still think King & Kokk are the ones to go to.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts

Yes, the fourth rubber is crucial of course. As I said, captain has to have serious discussion with all players and find out what is going on. We don't know who Kazakhs are going to play either, but I think Kukushkin is almost a certainty for the 4th rubber, and maybe Golubev if needed in the 5th.

So Kyrgios beat Kukushkin in Nice on clay in their only match. Groth lost on hard to him. Thanasi hasn't played Mikhail, and as you said, save Thanasi for the 5th rubber if Hewitt can't do it. That's why I would make the big effort to motivate Kyrgios, not that it should be needed in Davis Cup. If he is not right in the head, then go with Groth and hope he can beat Kukushkin.

Respectfully,
masterclass

1 - 20 of 62 Posts