Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should the ATP do anything about the medical timeout rule?

• The ATP should have changed the medical timeout rule ages ago to prevent abuse

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • You are wrong in thinking that players get upset if their opponent takes a medical timeout

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Players never abuse this rule

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Life is full of dirty tricks – live with it

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is any consolation for me in Federer losing the second set against Gulbis, in a bizarre sort of way, it is that Gulbis demonstrated very clearly the abuse of the medical timeout, at the end of the fourth set. Whether he in the end deserved to win or not is not the issue here, but rather the fact that he managed to get Federer unsettled by taking a medical timeout and had very nearly managed to come back from two breaks down to maybe win that set. He was, of course, as fit as a fiddle after the timeout. The medics and trainers are real miracle workers.

You may remember that I wrote an article about Nadal’s gamesmanship some years ago, at the end of which I suggested some changes to the rules that would minimize time delays and the abuse of the medical timeout rule. I am a bit annoyed with myself for having thought of the excellent solution adopted by the ATP, namely that you get one warning and then lose your first serve for subsequent time violations. It is an excellent solution, so please ignore my poll on time delays.

However, I find it beyond comprehension that the ATP and the WTA, for that matter, have not yet done anything about the blatant abuse of the medical timeout rule. In my opinion, having to take a medical timeout is equivalent to being unfit to play at that stage of the match, not unlike simply being unfit or out of breath, and you should be prepared to pay a points penalty (a timeout of 3 minutes is more or less equal to 6 points) if you have to (want to) stop playing. Unless the ATP (or any of you) can come up with a better solution, I am still convinced that the points penalty scheme is the only means of putting an end to the abuse of the rule. With the poll below I do not want to have your opinion of the solution, but rather on what you think about the ATP’s indifference to the problem. Please also feel free to suggest other choices that should be allowed in the poll.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Most players use MTOs to cheat. Fortunately Federer is the greatest of all time and would never take fake MTOs, use Eggs, or have a spanish doctor.

But yes, MTOs should be banned. If someone is too injured to play they should retire.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Most players use MTOs to cheat. Fortunately Federer is the greatest of all time and would never take fake MTOs, use Eggs, or have a spanish doctor.

But yes, MTOs should be banned. If someone is too injured to play they should retire.
DullTards still remember Roger's toilet break against Davydenko. lol. It's either that or the mono ... But Roger does not pick his a** which is a relief

·
Your visions will happen
47,139 Posts
The best is when your girlfriend is the physio. You go off court for a few minutes, get a nice rub down, and boom you come back running like Bolt.

·
Banned
2,797 Posts

Mariano Puerta had an spanish doctor? Coria and Cañas too?

·
Registered
462 Posts
First of all noone of us can say did he cheat or not. But on the other side you can't just judge any player for taking medical timeout, what if he was injured or was feeling some pain, shall any player play spartan thru the pain and make it more serious ? Or you would expect umpire to ask him are you really injured ? 2-5 down a double break against Fed, it was all but Fed problem that he almost got in troube in that set, get over it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
MTO:s should be taken out of the game altogether, they don't exist in most sports and are unnecessary. If you need it that bad you either didn't prepare yourself enough, or you were extremely unlucky to hurt yourself during the match -- suck it up and play or retire.

This has nothing to do with Gulbis by the way, to be clear. Just my standpoint.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MTO:s should be taken out of the game altogether, they don't exist in most sports and are unnecessary. If you need it that bad you either didn't prepare yourself enough, or you were extremely unlucky to hurt yourself during the match -- suck it up and play or retire.

This has nothing to do with Gulbis by the way, to be clear. Just my standpoint.
At least it should really strictly down to 3 minutes, but sometimes they are getting 10 minute treatments.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think people are making too big of a deal over this, it is just a small break :shrug: . If you are really broken by it you deserve it.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
ATP is a bunch of idiots when it comes to MTOs, coaching and time violations.

It's almost never punished so can you blame players for taking advantage? Yes you can but ATP wont listen and it also works so yeah you just look butthurt and it goes nowhere I guess :)

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
If there is any consolation for me in Federer losing the second set against Gulbis, in a bizarre sort of way, it is that Gulbis demonstrated very clearly the abuse of the medical timeout, at the end of the fourth set. Whether he in the end deserved to win or not is not the issue here, but rather the fact that he managed to get Federer unsettled by taking a medical timeout and had very nearly managed to come back from two breaks down to maybe win that set. He was, of course, as fit as a fiddle after the timeout. The medics and trainers are real miracle workers.
Gulbis' back was hurt, he needed a back massage and he asked for a MTO. I don't see what's wrong with this. Suddenly every MTO must be a cheat for this forum members. If Gulbis meant to get Federer unsettled, I mean :lol: what a timing. When losing 5-2 and receiving. Its not like it was a crucial moment of the match.

If the experienced 32 year old 17 time GS champion gets affected by a MTO at the point he almost goes from *5-2 to 5-5* then he really deserved to lose. :wavey:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts