Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
For the sake of balance and so we can sleep safe and be sure we’ll stay a democracy I hope Trzaskowski takes it. If not we might not have another free elections any time soon...
And yes, what they’ve done to public media in just a few years is a total destruction of it’s credibility that will be impossible to repair for many years to come.

·
Super Moderator
8,494 Posts
Once again, the old and the poor/rural destroyed the dreams of the young and educated. Happens all over the Europe now. Look how strong Duda was in the eastern Poland (right graph) and with old folks (left graph) Almost identical stuff with Turkey

That’s not right. Not the old or poor people ruined this country, but its sick systems which let these agitating men in power to convince folks are at fault. Let’s not pretend that Poland is a country equipped with clean democrats in the opposition, as it has been mentioned above lots of other shady and dodgy people running there too. Alternatives are rarely convincing.

I’d rather blame less the people in a country where politicians still benefit from former communist morally to be questioned practices. Something different than in Western countries where people deliberately are really just too naive to vote for Trump or Johnson.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
I am in fucking ruins. Why, I say, why do we have to suffer again?
I love this country but what a fucking dipshit of a hovel it is.
Anyway - this will only speed up my plans to move away in a few years.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
That’s not right. Not the old or poor people ruined this country, but its sick systems which let these agitating men in power to convince folks are at fault. Let’s not pretend that Poland is a country equipped with clean democrats in the opposition, as it has been mentioned above lots of other shady and dodgy people running there too. Alternatives are rarely convincing.

I’d rather blame less the people in a country where politicians still benefit from former communist morally to be questioned practices. Something different than in Western countries where people deliberately are really just too naive to vote for Trump or Johnson.
I agree Trzaskowski was not a perfect candidate (I voted for Holownia in the first round who was civic and non-partisan guy) but he was still 5-times better than Duda - so it was the choice of the lesser evil. Dark times ahead of us.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Great result!!!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Once again, the old and the poor/rural destroyed the dreams of the young and educated. Happens all over the Europe now. Look how strong Duda was in the eastern Poland (right graph) and with old folks (left graph) Almost identical stuff with Turkey

Well, since when are "the young and the rich" dreams more valuable than those of the "old" and "poor"? Manca finezza in your analysis.

·
Registered
97,287 Posts

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
What are some probable negative (from your POV) implications of this result?
They will continue to steal more for themselves.

I do wonder though, demographics are changing, the rhetoric they're using (anti-LGBT etc.) is good with the older people who are dying out. Young people want something else and if PiS wants to win another election, they need to adjust. These are the politicians and they are cynical enough.

Honestly if I was them, I'd instantly introduce same sex marriages and adoption and I'd crush the opposition in one go. They don't have anything else to say (and Trzaskowski even said he wouldn't introduce same sex marriages, so honestly I have no idea what of the difference would he make. Guy had no program at all. His only program was being handsome and speaking French. I kid you not).

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
The ruling party was inviting a Polish guy from Chicago to act as an American fashion designer to praise First Lady clothes on national news and the opposition used * * * "movement" - which literally translates into "fuck PiS" as their program.

This was the campaign in Poland ladies and gentlemen. Never seen a bigger shitshow.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
Fun fact: Duda's wife is Jewish and her father is an openly anti-Polish poet. PiS party is associated with Jewish and American interests while Platforma Obywatelska is associated with German interests.

Which probably means the Russians are behind all of it :D.
As always and everywhere.

·
justice for all
13,489 Posts
What are some probable negative (from your POV) implications of this result?
They will continue to steal more for themselves.

I do wonder though, demographics are changing, the rhetoric they're using (anti-LGBT etc.) is good with the older people who are dying out. Young people want something else and if PiS wants to win another election, they need to adjust. These are the politicians and they are cynical enough.

Honestly if I was them, I'd instantly introduce same sex marriages and adoption and I'd crush the opposition in one go. They don't have anything else to say (and Trzaskowski even said he wouldn't introduce same sex marriages, so honestly I have no idea what of the difference would he make. Guy had no program at all. His only program was being handsome and speaking French. I kid you not).
The bolded part is basically wrong. If anything, Polish society is getting older not younger as birth-rate is well below 2,0 and decreasing and life expectancy is increasing. Also, many young people emigrated (and will keep emigrating) to Great Britain (not anymore due to Brexit), Germany and other European countries (I guess you are a fine example of that, Nathaliia, aren't you). So this "rhetoric" is going to work just fine in 5 and 10 years from now as well. To stop it we need a major generational and cultural change to take place and it's gonna last 20 years if not longer, especially with the state dominated by PiS and their rhetoric.
Regarding possible negative implications of the presidential elections result there are many of them, the main one being the risk of far-right populistic autocracy resulting in:
  • further deterioration of independent judiciary
  • destruction of media freedom via its "deconcentration"
  • potential Polexit or expelling Poland from the EU
  • collapse of economy due to extensive social programs in the corona crises times...

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
The bolded part is basically wrong. If anything, Polish society is getting older not younger as birth-rate is well below 2,0 and decreasing and life expectancy is increasing. Also, many young people emigrated (and will keep emigrating) to Great Britain (not anymore due to Brexit), Germany and other European countries (I guess you are a fine example of that, Nathaliia, aren't you). So this "rhetoric" is going to work just fine in 5 and 10 years from now as well. To stop it we need a major generational and cultural change to take place and it's gonna last 20 years if not longer, especially with the state dominated by PiS and their rhetoric.
Regarding possible negative implications of the presidential elections result there are many of them, the main one being the risk of far-right populistic autocracy resulting in:
  • further deterioration of independent judiciary
  • destruction of media freedom via its "deconcentration"
  • potential Polexit or expelling Poland from the EU
  • collapse of economy due to extensive social programs in the corona crises times...
Changing demographics, I mean people who were brought up as super traditional and conservative are dying out. Already my parents who are in their 60s are different to their parents in this regard, and I'm even more different, and kids on Twitter who are about to turn 18 and vote are even more different.

My personal situation - my husband is a foreigner and he has a job in a foreign company. We had a (way) better standard of life in Poland and if it was only up to me I would be back right with the first Wizzair flight.

I say, if there's any serious competition, PiS might lose another election because they're literally asking for it. The only problem is lack of serious competition.

And no, PiS is not stupid enough for Polexit, because EU gives them money. Look how Duda backpedaled the LGBT comments after heavy Western critique.

·
Registered
97,287 Posts
Hołownia is a cool guy, he certainly can speak and I believe he's genuine, but he's a church hugger too. And no idea about his foreign support.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Poland has always been in danger from the East (Russia) and the West (Germany). Now that it is an ally of Germany, why would it leave UE? Seems pretty stupid if you ask me. That's besides the money, etc

21 - 40 of 68 Posts