Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that when there is a wrong call that is then corrected on a point played behind a 2nd serve, is then replayed on 1st serve?

What is the logic behind this rule?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Because serving is a lot about rhythm, if the players have had a rally it's quite challenging to just go and hit a second serve.

But the official reason I think is that a 'let' is officially a decision to replay the point as if the one you've just played never happened, so that means starting again with a 1st serve.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Because serving is a lot about rhythm, if the players have had a rally it's quite challenging to just go and hit a second serve.
But there hasn't always been a rally.
In the Gasquet match he was up match point and Kyrgios' second serve was incorrectly called out. Fair enough, the point is replayed.. but why should he be rewarded with another chance at a first serve?

The rule makes no sense

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But there hasn't always been a rally.
In the Gasquet match he was up match point and Kyrgios' second serve was incorrectly called out. Fair enough, the point is replayed.. but why should he be rewarded with another chance at a first serve?

The rule makes no sense
That would be one idea. Only replay 2nd serve when the wrong call was made on the serve itself. I would prefer to have a more consistent rule though.

Although I understand the reasons given by FleetSeb, I still think it can be very unfair to the returner.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
That would be one idea. Only replay 2nd serve when the wrong call was made on the serve itself. I would prefer to have a more consistent rule though.

Although I understand the reasons given by FleetSeb, I still think it can be very unfair to the returner.
Nice idea.

Maybe part of it is that the 2nd serve must have been pretty darn good to be called out (obviously not the real reason).

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Yes, it's one of the most stupid rules in the sport.

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
It makes complete sense. The player serving had successfully made his 2nd serve, the point has started, and it stops because a line judge makes a bad call(whether that call be on the serve or later in the rally). The point should get replayed which means 1st serve.

It would be pretty stupid for a player to have to serve a 2nd serve again when he just made a 2nd serve.

Basically you're thinking he missed his first serve so the point should begin with a 2nd serve. But he made his 2nd serve so why should he be forced to serve another 2nd serve?

Either way it goes, it's not completely fair. If you force a server to serve another 2nd serve after he just made one that's not fair. If you seemingly reward the server by giving him a first serve again just because of a missed call well that's not really fair to the returner, but replaying points isn't fair anyway at anytime because someone was ahead at the point the missed call was made, but imo it's way more fair to not force the guy who just made a 2nd serve to have to serve a 2nd serve again.

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
Why is it that when there is a wrong call that is then corrected on a point played behind a 2nd serve, is then replayed on 1st serve?

What is the logic behind this rule?
There is no logic behind it. It is a moronic rule which needs to be abolished ASAP.
I wouldn't say that. The logic is that the point is replayed from the beginning and that includes the serve. Whether that's right or not, logic is in place. I agree revision won't go amiss here.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It makes complete sense. The player serving had successfully made his 2nd serve, the point has started, and it stops because a line judge makes a bad call(whether that call be on the serve or later in the rally). The point should get replayed which means 1st serve.

It would be pretty stupid for a player to have to serve a 2nd serve again when he just made a 2nd serve.

Basically you're thinking he missed his first serve so the point should begin with a 2nd serve. But he made his 2nd serve so why should he be forced to serve another 2nd serve?

Either way it goes, it's not completely fair. If you force a server to serve another 2nd serve after he just made one that's not fair. If you seemingly reward the server by giving him a first serve again just because of a missed call well that's not really fair to the returner, but replaying points isn't fair anyway at anytime because someone was ahead at the point the missed call was made, but imo it's way more fair to not force the guy who just made a 2nd serve to have to serve a 2nd serve again.
This.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts