Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, exactly, is meant by this term? I came across it recently when there was a discussion on clay tennis, and I'm wondering if someone could post some youtube links of examples of excellent point construction (especially on clay).

Thanks.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Something that Tomas Berdych and Tursunov don't do.

Some players play tennis and others just bash tennis balls.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Are you familiar with chess? Then point construction is similar to planning a chess combination (a few moves in advance) instead just blindly moving the men.

·
124,506 Posts
Very good tactics here, though not exactly the quickest tennis.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you familiar with chess? Then point construction is similar to planning a chess combination (a few moves in advance) instead just blindly moving the men.
Yes, the concept makes sense, but I'd like to see a clip or two that illustrates this. I haven't seen many players play with what I would call unusual intelligence or craftiness. I have heard that Hingis was one such player, but who on the men's side?

·
124,506 Posts
Yes, the concept makes sense, but I'd like to see a clip or two that illustrates this. I haven't seen many players play with what I would call unusual intelligence or craftiness. I have heard that Hingis was one such player, but who on the men's side?
Do you seriously watch mens tennis apart from Djokovic? Nalbandian does it, Murray and Nieminen as well, the ones that aren't massive power players have to use excellent point construction to make up for the lack of power to survive in the modern game.

·
124,506 Posts
Marcelo Rios vs. Agassi

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you seriously watch mens tennis apart from Djokovic? Nalbandian does it, Murray and Nieminen as well, the ones that aren't massive power players have to use excellent point construction to make up for the lack of power to survive in the modern game.
Thanks for those clips. Yes, I read somewhere that Nalbandian does it. I think I'll look for some of his matches online.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
It's interesting in that Wilander - Mecir clip that they couldn't hit through the court, almost impossible to hit a forehand or backhand winner, only winners they make are volleys, smashes and angled passing shots. Equipment probably a big factor compared to today.

·
124,506 Posts
It's interesting in that Wilander - Mecir clip that they couldn't hit through the court, almost impossible to hit a forehand or backhand winner, only winners they make are volleys, smashes and angled passing shots. Equipment probably a big factor compared to today.
Wilander and Mecir were both very smart players, tactically astute and they knew each other's game. Mecir's game was difficult for Wilander.

Well the equipment for sure was a factor, but they used the whole of the courts dimensions instead of blasting winners. Lendl used to pound the ball side to side.

Santoro is another one who has to use point construction.

·
124,506 Posts
Just because I am in a generous mood.

Bruguera vs. Sampras

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for those clips. Yes, I read somewhere that Nalbandian does it. I think I'll look for some of his matches online.
Better search for some older matches, like Mcenroe's, that is if you are serious with this thread?

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
that says it all. guys like blake bash as hard as they can while guys like Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed like to construct points.
I remember after James lost to Fed at the AO he said something like, "I just kept hitting the ball as hard as I could and nothing worked." :secret: Maybe hitting the ball as hard as you can won't work against Fed. :secret:

·
124,506 Posts
I will post a few more, but they mean different things.

Watch the Bruguera one and you will see it clearly.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Bruguera, Big Cat, Little Cat, Nalbandian, Murray, I have a big affinity for the tacticians.

This is just the tip of the iceberg type stuff here but you will see that guys who are good point tacticians have the ability to hit a winner with next to no pace past the other guy just because they have dumbfounded the guy at the other baseline, I mean Mecir did it early in the clip PMK posted and Nalbandian does it often. I mean you would never see Roddick or Blake deftly roll the forehand past the other guy, these guys are just fucking POW

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
I remember after James lost to Fed at the AO he said something like, "I just kept hitting the ball as hard as I could and nothing worked." :secret: Maybe hitting the ball as hard as you can won't work against Fed. :secret:
exactly. you just cannot overpower Fed. you have to beat him off the ground by playing percentage tennis which means smart point construction.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
1 - 20 of 146 Posts