Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a match this past week, I think Cliff D said that Americans don't really place that much importance on the tennis gold medal in the Olympics as compared to winning a Slam. I would agree completely.

PMac said something like "Speak for yourself. My Olympic medal was the proudest moment of my tennis career." Something like that.

It seemed kind of pitiful. Comments?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
I think Brad said that. He won a bronze at the Olympics, though I don't recall the year at the moment. I didn't think that Patrick had. But I agree with what Cliff said.
 

·
#freeviktor
Joined
·
93,849 Posts
I think that's only true because tennis isn't a huge sport in America so it's not like America lives and dies with the tennis medals, plus America gets so many other medals that the tennis medals get lost in the mix. The average American wasn't really celebrating at home over Mardy Fish's silver medal last year. For a country like Chile, where Gonzo and Massu brought home the first gold medals for Chile.. that's a big deal, so winning medals for them would naturally be a big deal because their country will celebrate their success and they'll actually get recognized for it. Americans get too many medals for the tennis one to be that important, especially since it doesn't have the appeal of swimming or gymnastics to American Olympics viewers.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Neely

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
I agree with CliffD
 

·
Fed Fo Mod
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
The Olympics are just not a big part of tennis. Tennis was still just an exhibition sport in the 84 Olympics. A TMS event is much harder win, has more points awarded, and so on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
PMac said something like "Speak for yourself. My Olympic medal was the proudest moment of my tennis career." Something like that.
totally understandable -- he had such few other memorable moments in his career
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
During a match this past week, I think Cliff D said that Americans don't really place that much importance on the tennis gold medal in the Olympics as compared to winning a Slam. I would agree completely.

PMac said something like "Speak for yourself. My Olympic medal was the proudest moment of my tennis career." Something like that.

It seemed kind of pitiful. Comments?
The exchange was between Brad and Cliff and Brad jumped all over Cliff for saying something like that. It was a foolish comment. Every American who has won any Olympic medal has expressed great pride in themselves, their country and their achievement(s). This goes for all Olympic athletes.

Cliff backed off and the subject was changed in a New York minute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
wteva
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
i think winning the olympics rewards 150 or 200 pts in the race. am i right?

still, olympics is a nice title to add to your resume considering it only happens once in 4 years.

just ask andre and steffi.

roger also has that in his sights for 2008, which i think would be his best chance rather than 2012
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oopsie ... it was Brad. Sorry ...

In any case, it seemed really pathetic of Brad G. Cliff said something 100% accurate. Americans regard a Slam win as more worthy than an Olympic medal win. Brad said "Speak for yourself" as if winning the Olympics was equivalent to winning a Slam. Puh-lease!

Is there any tennis player alive who wouldn't trade three Olympic gold medals for one Slam win? I sure would!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
roger wouldn't for sure. he has enough slams and counting.

andre regards his olympic gold as one of the best achievements in his career.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,759 Posts
I think Olympic medals are fantastic, despite the undisputed fact that Olympic tennis isn't the most major thing out there. Look at the winners, they aren't that bad. They value their medals extremely highly as they are totally unique and different than any other event.

I think Brad was pretty serious with his comment, but responding in a semi-playful manner at the same time as to say it was great for him. Gilbert had a great career for what he had to work with even though he wasn't knocking out majors and stuff.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
The funny thing is for how little it is regarded there have been some brilliant Gold medal matches. Barcelona 92 was one of the best matches I have seen. Sydney 2000 with Kafelnikov and Haas that was a good contest and Massu winning in Athens, it meant something, though to be fair for Massu and Rosset they'd have rather won a Slam, but it had its own significance for these players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,759 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
The funny thing is for how little it is regarded there have been some brilliant Gold medal matches. Barcelona 92 was one of the best matches I have seen. Sydney 2000 with Kafelnikov and Haas that was a good contest and Massu winning in Athens, it meant something, though to be fair for Massu and Rosset they'd have rather won a Slam, but it had its own significance for these players.
I'd love to have seen Seoul, especially the semi with Edberg. I mean, it wasn't often Mecir didn't falter on the big stage.
 

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
Joined
·
124,507 Posts
hrbatyfan said:
I'd love to have seen Seoul, especially the semi with Edberg. I mean, it wasn't often Mecir didn't falter on the big stage.
I have an interview somewhere with Mecir after that match and when he won Gold. He was very happy with it and I can't remember the quote exactly, but it was something along the lines off it's good to win something for my country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,759 Posts
GeorgeWHitler said:
I have an interview somewhere with Mecir after that match and when he won Gold. He was very happy with it and I can't remember the quote exactly, but it was something along the lines off it's good to win something for my country.
That's cool. The Slovaks definitely are the patriotic type.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,093 Posts
Brad won a bronze in 1988 Patrick didn't win any
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
LoveFifteen said:
Oopsie ... it was Brad. Sorry ...

In any case, it seemed really pathetic of Brad G. Cliff said something 100% accurate. Americans regard a Slam win as more worthy than an Olympic medal win. Brad said "Speak for yourself" as if winning the Olympics was equivalent to winning a Slam. Puh-lease!

Is there any tennis player alive who wouldn't trade three Olympic gold medals for one Slam win? I sure would!

Is there any tennis player alive with three gold medals?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top