Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new poster to mtf, long time lurker. This is going to be a little long winded as I have a two part question that I've been wondering about for some time.

Just how good are the players on the senior tour, based on the USTA's NTRP (a system I was made aware of in a hilarious thread somewhere)

Obviously they can absolutely destroy any of us on the forum but what about for example, a mid-level NCAA division 1 player? Are they around 6.5?

I'm a relatively new fan to tennis, started watching in 2006, and I'm aware of the incredible skill gap that exists between recreational players and pros. And even the gap between an excellent university player and a pro.

I watched live a university tournament and came away with the feeling that those guys could hang with the pros I'd only seen on tv.

Then I watched a 2nd or 3rd round match on a side court at the rogers cup between a bunch of journeymen, one of them being kevin kim I think and quickly realized that kevin kim would easily double bagel the champion of the university tournament.

So I guess my second question is (sorry for being so long winded) just how bad are pros allegedly weak shots.

For example, I've noticed that mtf likes to mock roddick's backhand or davydenko's volleys. But just how bad is roddick's backhand in absolute terms? Obviously it is a bad backhand relatively. But is it still a "pro" worthy backhand? Or is it so bad that some club players possess better backhands? Is it possible for a pro to have deficient shot in absolute terms that he can successfully cover up with his other strengths? Thanks for answering my questions

Edit: Basically are all the shots of pros 7.0? or can a pro have some 7.0 shots and some 6.0-6.5 shots?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Well, here's my two cents for whatever its worth :cool:

I reckon the level of the seniors tour is pretty high, a lot of the guys have still got `it`, but their bodies can no longer stand up to the grind of the tour or 5 set matches... which is to be expected considering that your average 24 year old would probably struggle to play a 5 setter.

Yes I reckon Roddick has a `pro` backhand, pro-players weaker shots are over-exaggerated . That said, it is possible for some club players to be better at a certain shot than a pro, it may be good enough to win 90% of their club matches but when pitted against a pro or players who have the craft to expose weaknesses then they will come undone (the challenge for this person is obviously to further develop their game.,. but thats a different story).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts