Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the possible solutions for salvaging at least part of the season would certainly be to allow for tournaments to be played without an audience.
But that means tournaments loosing a significant part of the revenue, and playing in an empty venue is no fun for the players either, as probably almost everyone is trying to get some boost from the crowd response.

Time to be creative, so enter the technological solution:
  • Equip the stands with large projection screens and suitable projectors, or large LED screens (the appropriate sound system should already be in place at every stadium anyway);
  • partition the space on the screen to the life-size of a single person (allowing for resizing according to perspective for the seats further away in real life);
  • sell the on-screen space according to the screen space size and placement to willing individuals over the streaming services;
  • arrange for those who paid the streaming from their webcams (including sound) to the stadium screens, compiling the composite big screen image.

One advantage could be that the sound director could ensure the necessary level of silence during play.
The solution solves the revenue part for tournament organizers, but could this be enough of the compensation for the players, though?!

Discuss!

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
GOAT Predictor
3,154 Posts
One of the possible solutions for salvaging at least part of the season would certainly be to allow for tournaments to be played without an audience.
But that means tournaments loosing a significant part of the revenue, and playing in an empty venue is no fun for the players either, as probably almost everyone is trying to get some boost from the crowd response.

Time to be creative, so enter the technological solution:
  • Equip the stands with large projection screens and suitable projectors, or large LED screens (the appropriate sound system should already be in place at every stadium anyway);
  • partition the space on the screen to the life-size of a single person (allowing for resizing according to perspective for the seats further away in real life);
  • sell the on-screen space according to the screen space size and placement to willing individuals over the streaming services;
  • arrange for those who paid the streaming from their webcams (including sound) to the stadium screens, compiling the composite big screen image.
One advantage could be that the sound director could ensure the necessary level of silence during play.
The solution solves the revenue part for tournament organizers, but could this be enough of the compensation for the players, though?!

Discuss!
Question no about how to play events! Question about "PLAY EVENTS"!!!!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,212 Posts
Clever but how much will people want to reasonably pay?

The onsite experience is one of the reasons for the expense. Apart from showing up on a screen, the rest is just a stream.

I paid $50 to go watch Nadal play Goffin at the ATP Cup. My guess is you cannot charge more than $10 for something like this.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question no about how to play events! Question about "PLAY EVENTS"!!!!
The intention behind my idea is exactly that - facilitate the competition in any possible way.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clever but how much will people want to reasonably pay?

The onsite experience is one of the reasons for the expense. Apart from showing up on a screen, the rest is just a stream.

I paid $50 to go watch Nadal play Goffin at the ATP Cup. My guess is you cannot charge more than $10 for something like this.
I'm aware that this could never generate the same revenue as with the live audience, and of course it could never replace the onsite experience for the viewers. But I seriously doubt that tickets sale is a major contributor of the tournaments profits anyway. This was not about the experience of the viewers, I was more into generating some of that live experience for the players on the court, and I'm interested how they would feel about this.

I would put the screen spaces on auction. Any income is better then none. It's kind of like an advertising space on billboards.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was speaking with one of my friends that is a sport event organizer in Canada about this. He said he wouldn't be shocked if athletes start getting creative, quarantining together and streaming games/matches/anything online.

Especially considering (at least in North America) that athletes live in giant mansion compounds with basketball courts, tennis courts, etc. on their properties, it would be a good opportunity for them to make money streaming and give people some entertainment.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
With borders closed and airlines at a standstill, how are you going to get the players there?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The ATP needs to develop a hyper realistic video game that uses live motion. Then use an AI to crunch data and create avatars of all the players in the Top 100 with their real-life attributes. Have each of the players play the video games with themselves and broadcast it virtually. Hopefully they can roll this out before the clay season ... I see no reason these virtual matches shouldn't count in the rankings points.

·
Rankings Master
16,122 Posts
Man, the wrong decade, give it 2 or 3 more decades and one could holographically project themselves at a venue for the experience.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With borders closed and airlines at a standstill, how are you going to get the players there?
Yeah, that borders thing can really be a nuisance...
Although I believe not all the countries have sealed their borders completely. An exception can still be made here and there...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, the wrong decade, give it 2 or 3 more decades and one could holographically project themselves at a venue for the experience.
If I was to look into the crystal ball, it is more probable in 2 or 3 decades that we will be experiencing events through a brain implants (Matrix-like) rather then a holo-projections... :D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thread
Fan-Free tennis: What do people think of it?
inspired me to bump mine... It is still a viable solution, somewhat costly, but has a potential not only to return the investment but to earn some profit too!

Reactions: 64794

·
Premium Member
21,939 Posts
  • arrange for those who paid the streaming from their webcams (including sound)
Lol that would be a sound engineer's nightmare I imagine, all those cheap devices and their background sounds mashing together in a horrible cacophony :p
NBA already has virtual fans and it's kinda meh, nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol that would be a sound engineer's nightmare I imagine, all those cheap devices and their background sounds mashing together in a horrible cacophony :p
Not really, I don't think it would present that much of a problem. at least not for sound engineers. In fact, sound editors would be able to provide the ideal silence (or a very subdued sound) during play, and release the sound only after the point is over (couple it maybe with the automatic line calling system). Live audience already produces the same level of cacophony...

·
Premium Member
21,939 Posts
Live audience already produces the same level of cacophony...
Not even close. You would get all kinds of different background sounds, since everyone's environment is different and no one would be cheering from a sound-proof room, sound delays depending on their Internet connection quality, microphonics and what not.

·
Premium Member
10,483 Posts
I think it's decent/better than nothing, but it's also indoors, i.e. the technology is safe from rain and moisture. Add to that a bball court isn't built like an amphitheater so it's easier to blend into the bball environment. That said, having just looked at a highlight clip from the USO grounds, I suppose you could put up some kind of screens on each four sides, not too high/tall ones, but something that would fit something like three rows of spectators. I'd think seeing the faces on the side would be more exciting to the players than no one at all. NBA did the sounds quite nicely. Pretty advanced development process and end result. Might be worthwhile to give something similar a try at least (I know UTS used a less advanced solution).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not even close. You would get all kinds of different background sounds, since everyone's environment is different and no one would be cheering from a sound-proof room, sound delays depending on their Internet connection quality, microphonics and what not.
Granted, virtual spectators would definitely feel more comfortable in their environment. But as I already explained, I don't see an issue with the audio part. Sound director can easily adjust the master mix volume to the acceptable level.

Now that I think about it, I see a potentially larger problem, and the one that can't be addressed with pure technology (no human intervention). Two words: indecent exposure!

·
Premium Member
10,483 Posts
Granted, virtual spectators would definitely feel more comfortable in their environment. But as I already explained, I don't see an issue with the audio part. Sound director can easily adjust the master mix volume to the acceptable level.

Now that I think about it, I see a potentially larger problem, and the one that can't be addressed with pure technology (no human intervention). Two words: indecent exposure!
You also have streakers in live settings. I don't think this is a particularly huge problem. If someone actually wishes to expose him/herself, dealing with it is even easier than in a live setting. Just cut that specific stream off. NBA is actively monitoring the spectators for this problem; so far nothing AFAIK.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You also have streakers in live settings. I don't think this is a particularly huge problem. If someone actually wishes to expose him/herself, dealing with it is even easier than in a live setting. Just cut that specific stream off. NBA is actively monitoring the spectators for this problem; so far nothing AFAIK.
Yeah, although it is much harder to pull such a stunt on premises then in the privacy of one's home. It's definitely easier to deal with the offenders by cutting the stream, but it's harder to spot one.

·
Premium Member
10,483 Posts
Yeah, although it is much harder to pull such a stunt on premises then in the privacy of one's home. It's definitely easier to deal with the offenders by cutting the stream, but it's harder to spot one.
Means also that it's harder for the shenanigans to get exposure (compared to a live streaker crashing the court).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts