Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Wawrinka playing Geneva this week it got me thinking:

1. Will this significantly reduce his chances of winning Roland Garros?

2. When was the last time a player played a 250 or a similar sized tournament the week before a Grand Slam and yet ended up winning the Grand Slam event?

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Last year Gulbis won Nice the week before RG and went on to make the SFs after knocking off Federer and Berdych.

Winning Roland Garros is obviously a long shot for Stan. I don't think playing Geneva will have a huge effect on whether or not he does well, though.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

2. When was the last time a player played a 250 or a similar sized tournament the week before a Grand Slam and yet ended up winning the Grand Slam event?
Wawrinka's best result at RG is 2013 QF, so repeating his best result should not pose a problem.

Ferrer used to play exibition before the new year and two tournaments before AO e.g. 2013 after strong Mubadala exhibition with three matches against top-8 players, he made Doha SF, then won at Auckland and then lost AO SF to Djokovic as Mubadala exhibition final beforehand, whereas Djokovic's first official match after Mubadala was at AO.

·
Registered
22,239 Posts
Lorenzi is playing a hardcourt Challenger in Turkey :cool:

·
Registered
33,360 Posts

well, i think Azarenka has done it in 2013
don't remember someone doing this in atp

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
If I remember well, Ivanisevic in 2001 played 's-Hertogenbosch (2nd round exit) and then went on to win Wimbledon...

·
Premium Member
62,010 Posts
If I remember well, Ivanisevic in 2001 played 's-Hertogenbosch (2nd round exit) and then went on to win Wimbledon...
He did. Also had a Queens R1 exit, which explains why he wanted more matches on grass.

Also Thomas Johansson played Sydney 2002 ahead of winning the AO (R1 exit).

Gaston Gaudio in 2004 is the last one to play the week before RG, in the now defunct World Team Championship.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
What makes this significant is that Wawrinka played last week as well and made a SF run. It's not like he's entirely fresh and rested going into this 250. If he goes deep here as well, then there's every chance he'll at least feel jaded during the French Open.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Staniel is not winning Roland Garros. I doubt he even makes it into the second week. So why not to try winning Geneva as long as he doesn't feel tired? It's not like he has won a shitload of titles in his career.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
For Wawrinka right now he should be more concerned about getting through the first few matches at the FO, rather than about his theoretical fatigue in the late stages. If playing Nics can help him get build form and confidence and get more match play then it is probably worth it, rather than saving his fitness for the second week which based on his recent performances he is not guaranteed to reach.

·
Registered
623 Posts
This matters for some players more than others. I think Stan plays better when he plays a lot. But take Isner for example -- he clearly has stamina issues in BO5 matches. Why is he playing Nice? He should be getting ready for Roland Garros, where he has played some good matches (last year made it to 4R, beat Robredo and lost to Berdych in a respectable effort).

Maybe Isner thinks he can pick up more points in Nice, but you can also question why he doesn't focus on trying to go deep at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
What makes this significant is that Wawrinka played last week as well and made a SF run. It's not like he's entirely fresh and rested going into this 250. If he goes deep here as well, then there's every chance he'll at least feel jaded during the French Open.
Since 2010 on natural surfaces Wawrinka has 4R,4R,4R,QF,1R at RG and 1R,2R,1R,1R,QF at Wimb i.e. just two QF and four 1R exits in ten attempts.

At RG and Wimb. Wawrinka is just 50% of HC Stanimal, that's why he'll be in Fedal's half again there this year, whereas at AO&USO again in Djokovic's half or quarter for the fifth HC 5-setter in three years 'cause at the last USO Nishikori prevented Djokovic-Wawrinka SF 5-setter beating Wawrinka in five sets too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts