Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Players who really need to retire this year

Murray

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

I personally like seeing the old guys around... even if they sometimes have trouble with consistency, I love seeing the flashes of brilliance they can still bring to the table. As long as they still have the fire in their belly, I say stay as long as you want. I'll never get tired of watching Hewitt, Haas, Robredo, Federer, etc., even if they stay until they're 45.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Volandri really needs to go.

If there ever were such a thing as a vulture, Volandri is it. Stands far behind the baseline and waits for challenger players to make errors and give him the titles but then goes down in straights without a whimper to anyone who regularly competes on the ATP. At least its been that way since about 2011.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts

Baghdatis, Davydenko, Gicquel, Volandri, Fish (he's probably retired but still should make it official)

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

Querrey

·
Banned
12,122 Posts

I personally like seeing the old guys around... even if they sometimes have trouble with consistency, I love seeing the flashes of brilliance they can still bring to the table. As long as they still have the fire in their belly, I say stay as long as you want. I'll never get tired of watching Hewitt, Haas, Robredo, Federer, etc., even if they stay until they're 45.
yea I agree, look at Phau, no sign of 'form' had made the semis of 250 from the qualies. amazing.

Serra played a couple of good matches this winter indoor, looks like he struggles more on clay nowadays.

Gicquel has already dediced to finish this year same for other guys that can still produce nice matches.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

Uncle Toni!

(i can't)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

Fixdenko. He's getting nowhere. Used to like Baghdatis but losing to Gonzalez playing really awful is too much. Di Mauro, Gil, Volandri and Bubka are other names

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Man do not even dare to think about him. It is too early .The game needs him a lot.:)
You are probably right. For dignity reasons I'm not sure he should carry on for too long though. Obviously a lot of fans will want to watch the GOAT before he retires, but do they really want to see him still competing at 36 with a win-loss ratio of about 2:1 and playing like a shadow of his former self? I'm no fan of the guy, but even I wouldn't want to see that. He has a responsibility to go out on a relative high imo.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts