Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve all got our favorites, and some of them may be unpopular – either with fans or other players.

Mine: Guillermo Coria. Choker? Cheater? Doper? All-around surly troublemaker? Yes and maybe to most of those, but I still like him. I’d been a fan of his for a while, but his Davis Cup antics vs. Australia and his dust-up at the USO with Nicolas Massu sealed it. When he mocked Massu’s injury, I thought “what a little jerk,” and was smitten for good. How wrong is that-LOL.

Who’s yours?

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
yup coria for me too, he's one of the few guys that when he's a douche i'm like yup that's just the way he is and i love it. :)

Reactions: Via Pax and Truc

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mine is also Coria. I like him, despite his on-court behaviour (he's is improving though and he and Hewitt are not the only ones, as some people tend to believe !!!).

But he did not mock Massu's injury. Coria didn't believe Massu was injured. Remember that Cañas also had the same problem with Nico in Dusseldorf.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Obviously Coria for me too. I'm not blind, I know how he is, but I love it, you explained it better than I could, Gillian.

Hewitt for the same reasons.

Maybe also Pimpim for me. Normally I can't stand players with a big serve, Pimpim's game is incredibly boring to me, but I can't help liking him, he is kind of touching (especially when he plays on clay and really sucks).

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Yea, I used to hate Coria but now I love him. He's one of the most interesting/fun people to watch on the tour and I like watching him work his magic or magia as it were ;)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
For me, it's Vince Spadea.

Sure he is whiny and annoying, but how can you not like someone who overcame a twenty-one match losing streak and got back into the top 25.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Winston's Human said:
For me, it's Vince Spadea.

Sure he is whiny and annoying, but how can you not like someone who overcame a twenty-one match losing streak and got back into the top 25.

I think it's easy for alot of people...:haha:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truc said:
(But I'm not sure he was mocking Massu when he was limping.)
Hmmmm, maybe I should edit my original post to say "Massu's alleged injury" :) I remember Jim Courier being pretty miffed at Coria's antics during that match, which, of course, made me love Guillermo even more.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
I was at the Nico/Guillermo match. Were any of you at the match that are posting about Nico's injury?????

I was not only at that match, but I saw Nico about 18 days during August.

Before the match he was stretching much more than he usually does. And stretching continously throughout the match.

He has been have problems with his upper thigh. When it happened again in DC against Pakistan, he said it has been bothering him for about 3 months.

About Dusseldorf - Nico had a hernia operation late last year, a stress fracture in his foot at the Oz Open, and injured his ankle badly before Miami. So his first match this year was Houston.

Do you think that maybe it would take time for his body to come back from all that? Hmmm...yeah maybe. Do you think that maybe just maybe that trying to physically come back would lead to other physical problems??? Hmm....yeah maybe.

Unless you know the full story, save us all the bother of having to read your opinions on a situation that you obviously know nothing about.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Julio1974 said:
Mine is also Coria. I like him, despite his on-court behaviour (he's is improving though and he and Hewitt are not the only ones, as some people tend to believe !!!).

But he did not mock Massu's injury. Coria didn't believe Massu was injured. Remember that Cañas also had the same problem with Nico in Dusseldorf.
:rolleyes: Yes, Nico has been "faking" injuries all year...He went so far as to miss practically the first half of the year. What he won't do for attention. C'mon...

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
Sparko1030 said:
:rolleyes: Yes, Nico has been "faking" injuries all year...He went so far as to miss practically the first half of the year. What he won't do for attention. C'mon...
LOL Sparko!!!

That Nico...just wants attention. Faked his hernia. Faked the stress fraction. Faked the ankle injury. The little faker... ;)

And anyone that says that they like a player more because they mock another player's injury - says a lot about them, doesn't it????

·
Registered
432 Posts
gillian said:
Hmmmm, maybe I should edit my original post to say "Massu's alleged injury" :) I remember Jim Courier being pretty miffed at Coria's antics during that match, which, of course, made me love Guillermo even more.
Ditto. When John McEnroe was commentating, without Courier around, he brought up Massu as being like Mary Pierce in taking an unecessary gamesmanship time out. Courier loves Massu - made a point of gushing over him which is probably why USA showed his 1R match v. Gambill although both players were in a significant slump at the time. Courier was extremely rude to one of his co-hosts during the Open coverage, told him in a mean way to stick to the point, so I don't care for him in general.

There were a lot of reasons for the animosity between Massu and Coria that weren't mentioned by Courier. I was at the match itself, which gives and takes away insight, so some of this I found out later, can't verify accuracy.

- I belive it was after Massu took the second trainer break, Coria said then he needed a trainer for his lost toenails, and Massu questioned whether that was a real injury. IMO lost toenails are excrutiating and can really limit mobility, so I find it ironic/wrong if Massu really questioned it. Could understand Coria being miffed after Massu took not one, but 2 trainer breaks which Coria didn't question. That doesn't excuse making fun of a leg injury if it was real, but might explain why he was annoyed enough to do it. It was obvious Coria's toes were hurting him when he changed socks - also at DC, the toes seemed to hurt more than the left leg e.g.

- Time it took to serve - Coria complained to ump about the extremely long time Massu was taking to serve - toward beginning of match I think.

- Man in the crowd was screaming "double" during a critical phase of Coria's service action. I could hear the man very clearly from across the stadium and it was coming from the vicinity of Massu's box, but couldn't tell exactly who was screaming. Read in some sources that Coria said the man was in Massu's box and that Coria spoke to him about it, and that Massu thought Coria was criticizing Massu's own father.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
ATennisFan said:
- Man in the crowd was screaming "double" during a critical phase of Coria's service action. I could hear the man very clearly from across the stadium and it was coming from the vicinity of Massu's box, but couldn't tell exactly who was screaming. Read in some sources that Coria said the man was in Massu's box and that Coria spoke to him about it, and that Massu thought Coria was criticizing Massu's own father.
That's so ludicrous that I'm shouldn't even be responding to it.

The place was packed...as you know since you said you were there.

So Coria could tell that someone yelling "double" came from Nico's box????

And Coria is known for causing trouble during matches (and I do like Guillle). He does it just to upset his opponents.

Put it this way: Coria's fellow players dislike him. Nico's fellow players like him. End of story.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sparko1030 said:
I did not say Nico faked the injury. I simply explained that Coria thought so. I can't really tell from the TV box whether an injury is real or not.

In any case, you have to admit that Nico is no saint either...

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
ATennisFan said:
Ditto. When John McEnroe was commentating, without Courier around, he brought up Massu as being like Mary Pierce in taking an unecessary gamesmanship time out. Courier loves Massu - made a point of gushing over him which is probably why USA showed his 1R match v. Gambill although both players were in a significant slump at the time. Courier was extremely rude to one of his co-hosts during the Open coverage, told him in a mean way to stick to the point, so I don't care for him in general.
And have to respond to this too.

You really believe that Jim Courier is the one that tells the networks which matches to watch. Really - get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They showed Gambill because USA Network always shows the Americans!!!!!!!

And Nico has always been slow...always. That's his style of playing just like Andre likes to play fast. As one of the guys on the international feed said - Nico is a very deliberate player. And he should play the way he feels most comfortable playing.

·
Registered
25,078 Posts
Julio1974 said:
I did not say Nico faked the injury. I simply explained that Coria thought so. I can't really tell from the TV box whether an injury is real or not.

In any case, you have to admit that Nico is no saint either...
He's not a saint...but don't make him into a monster either. Coria and Hewitt have reputations for causing trouble on court. Nico does not. So don't make him into something that he's not.

As I said - Coria is disliked immensely by the players. Nico is very much liked. And that says it all.

The fans take on things is generally unreliable. They see these guys for 5 minutes or watch them once a year on TV, and they think they "know" them.

Well...NOT.

You go by the people that know them best. And I rarely hear players complaining about Nico like they do with other players....and that includes Coria. How many players has he pissed off - Gaston, Andre, Luis, and now Nico. And I'm sure I've missed many others.

And btw - why is this coming up again? It was debated endlessly at the time. Old news...is this a slow tennis week??? lol!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NicoFan said:
And btw - why is this coming up again? It was debated endlessly at the time. Old news...is this a slow tennis week??? lol!
I brought up the Coria/Massu match in passing in my original post. Certainly not my intention to have this turn into a Coria vs. Massu thread.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
NicoFan said:
He's not a saint...but don't make him into a monster either. Coria and Hewitt have reputations for causing trouble on court. Nico does not. So don't make him into something that he's not.

As I said - Coria is disliked immensely by the players. Nico is very much liked. And that says it all.

The fans take on things is generally unreliable. They see these guys for 5 minutes or watch them once a year on TV, and they think they "know" them.

Well...NOT.

You go by the people that know them best. And I rarely hear players complaining about Nico like they do with other players....and that includes Coria. How many players has he pissed off - Gaston, Andre, Luis, and now Nico. And I'm sure I've missed many others.

Of course he is not a monster... I don't have anything against Nico. Since the first poster said that Coria was mocking Nico's injury I simply tried to explain that Coria thought it was not a real injury. That's all.

And I know Coria pissed off many other players. Nico also did (cañas was not the only one), but he can't be compared with Coria in that regard ( I concede that).

Reactions: NicoFan
1 - 20 of 110 Posts