Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us are big 3 fans on here , whether it be a die hard Spartan warrior Djokovic fan or the "I'm glad Federer can still hit a dropshot" Federer fan or the vamos'ing Nadal fan convinced RG #2025 is in the bag....

They have brought much joy to us as tennis fans and even if you hate, despise ,etc. any of the guys , you can't help but at least respect the effort each of them puts into not only the match , but the sport as a whole. They have carried the sport for more than a decade and still seem to carry the sport , whether its through their tennis, scandalous tournaments or instagram posts.....

Its hard to forget that we have a tour for the one thousand best tennis players (technically more, but you get it) on the planet slugging it out everyday, whether its in an empty challenger in South America or on court one in a packed stadium at Indian Wells or court 10 ... in the 5th set tie breaker at the French Open.

So with that said , which tennis players do you truly respect, that are not named Federer, Nadal , Djokovic?

My picks are as follows.

Dominic Thiem- Really a rags to riches story in comparison with many of the young guys out there. The humble kid back in 2013/ 2014 was posting on his small facebook whenever he lost 3-6 , 4-6 in the R1 of a 500. He really never gave up though and became a physical specimen training with a Bear Grylls like coach and worked every year to get better and better and improve himself from being a nobody , to being the favorite at slams and tournaments. He got to see the big 3 in his younger years and watch in awe at what they could accomplish, but he himself is now getting to contest with them for a place in tennis history.

While Thiem tempers and can be hot-headed when his balls are wizzing into the fence. You can't say he doesn't give his 100% effort in almost every match he plays. You don't really hear him complaining as he just goes out there and wails on the ball and commits to doing so win or lose. Really humble too, guy doesn't fly in his private jet or give some big scandalous press conference, he just goes out there to play tennis and he is on the brink of breaking through.... and he deserves to break through.

I will ignore Del Potro , nothing more needs to be said.

Stansilas Wawrinka- Wawrinka should be a motivating sight and story for any athlete-

"Ever tried , ever failed, no matter. Try again , fail again, fail better"

The man went from a random journeyman Swiss player who people probably thought would never amount to anything , especially with graceful and dominant Federer living in the same country... not only that but Wawrinka had mental demons and realistically they should have won. Realistically he should have just faded into nothingness after barely losing to Djokovic in 2013. Any other player might have just said , yeah I guess I'm really not good enough and faded into obscurity. Djokovic was reaching god like levels in spurts from 2013- 2016 and Wawrinka was one of the few people to stop Djokovic from just becoming the GOAT right then and there....

Wawrinka really makes you re-think yourself too... as the statement is not, " I don't think I can..." but "Why can't I?, I can". What is stopping you from doing what Wawrinka did, overcoming the greatest challenges in front of you and conquering that which held you back for so many years?

David Ferrer- one of the shorter guys to be playing tennis , who wasn't gifted with yoga flexible legs, or perfectly measured arms , or the body of a body builder or the legs of a gazelle.... he did have legs of a terrier though. Really maximized his game and play style. The question for Ferrer is , "Can you ever really recall a match where he tanked or just didn't put in 100% effort? " I can't and that is what is so respectable about him. Of course he was never going to beat Nadal 2013 in a French Open final... and maybe he challenged a ball and lost himself a Miami 1000 trophy, but still he always put in the effort and the hours to be as successful as he was.

Those are my three for now.

Who do you respect MTF that is not named , Federer , Nadal or Djokovic?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It's mainly Del Potro for me. I sympathize with his injury problems, and greatly respect his fighting spirit and his determination to keep climbing back to the top even when his body is failing him. Of course, I also like his game, with the massive forehand, and his ability to give the Big 3 a serious challenge.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Berrettini. He is a nice guy and definitely knows to how to shut down some players.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
"Respect"? Most of them I guess, the list would be too long.
Agreed. It would be really hard not to have respect for any player in the Top 30+. Guys like RBA, FAA, Di Minaur, Rublev, Coric and all others deserve nothing but respect.

So, op, basically all pro players except for those who are total POS like Kyrgios.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Even though he’s lower ranked, I’ve always had a soft spot for Jason Jung and his story.

I respect JMDP and Kevin Anderson a lot too.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Gotta agree with Manu_ser, there is little reason not to respect most ATP players. With that said, I think the OP made some good choices picking players extra worthy of mentioning.

I also think many agree that Diego Schwartzman deserves a bit of extra credit. Almost reaching top 10 is hugely impressive, but what stands out the most is his will and determination. Sticking to tennis well aware of the trend that the game favors taller players. I'm not sure Diego makes my top 5 list of favorite ATP players (he is close, though), but he sure is worth a great deal of respect.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gotta agree with Manu_ser, there is little reason not to respect most ATP players. With that said, I think the OP made some good choices picking players extra worthy of mentioning.

I also think many agree that Diego Schwartzman deserves a bit of extra credit. Almost reaching top 10 is hugely impressive, but what stands out the most is his will and determination. Sticking to tennis well aware of the trend that the game favors taller players. I'm not sure Diego makes my top 5 list of favorite ATP players (he is close, though), but he sure is worth a great deal of respect.
I Agree with most of what you say, but Diego is on my top 5 list of today's players. Tsitsipas, Thiem and Delpo are on my top 5 favorites list along with Novak and Nadal.

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I completely forgot about Diego.

Well agreed. He is basically what 60% of the world?? Would experience when they are playing in the land of Giants. The fact that he can play against 6'9 monsters who's second serve alone bounces over twice his height, is a feet of athleticism and determination.

Plus how often do we hear about Diego complaining or causing drama , guy just plays tennis no matter the condition or odds.

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
The special one
14,778 Posts
There's 3 players that stick out for me.

Thiem

Carries himself with respect and humility, has lost 3 slam finals and never once made any excuses for these loses (even though he could very easily have done for RG last year especially) just seems like a very likeable and very hardworking player.

Del Potro

Has had many injury setbacks in his career. It sucks especially because every time he's required a surgery it's come after he's built up momentum and is in the top 8. Hes managed to return to the top 10 multiple times after long periods of time out

Andy Murray

This guy has faced so much pressure and adversary in his career that it's impossible not to respect him. Even more so given everything he's managed to achieve.

I don't know where to start tbh, i guess from the beginning.

- Suffered a personal tragedy when he was young, not just the incident itself but the guy that did it was a family friend. These things would mentally scar most adults, never mind a 10 year old child.

- Completely screwed up his knee as a teenager, which could've easily ended his career before it started, still suffers from that even now.

- Nearly required wrist surgery in 2007, which kept him out for months.

- Won Olympic gold in a home games.

- Won USO in 2012 after suffering multiple defeats in finals, including Wimbledon just a few months before that. Takes huge mental strength to come back from that so soon.

- Won Wimbledon in 2013, despite massive pressure. Nobody has ever had the pressure of winning a home grand slam like this guy has had.

- Returned from a career threatening back surgery to win another slam, win another gold medal and become world no1.

- Had his 2016 momentum stopped by multiple bad luck injuries, and required hip surgery in 2018 and 2019, where he basically thought he couldn't continue any longer, only to come back again the same year and win a title.

Honorable mentions to Nishikori and Diego as well. Both players i also respect.

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's 3 players that stick out for me.

Thiem

Carries himself with respect and humility, has lost 3 slam finals and never once made any excuses for these loses (even though he could very easily have done for RG last year especially) just seems like a very likeable and very hardworking player.

Del Potro

Has had many injury setbacks in his career. It sucks especially because every time he's required a surgery it's come after he's built up momentum and is in the top 8. Hes managed to return to the top 10 multiple times after long periods of time out

Andy Murray

This guy has faced so much pressure and adversary in his career that it's impossible not to respect him. Even more so given everything he's managed to achieve.

I don't know where to start tbh, i guess from the beginning.

- Suffered a personal tragedy when he was young, not just the incident itself but the guy that did it was a family friend. These things would mentally scar most adults, never mind a 10 year old child.

- Completely screwed up his knee as a teenager, which could've easily ended his career before it started, still suffers from that even now.

- Nearly required wrist surgery in 2007, which kept him out for months.

- Won Olympic gold in a home games.

- Won USO in 2012 after suffering multiple defeats in finals, including Wimbledon just a few months before that. Takes huge mental strength to come back from that so soon.

- Won Wimbledon in 2013, despite massive pressure. Nobody has ever had the pressure of winning a home grand slam like this guy has had.

- Returned from a career threatening back surgery to win another slam, win another gold medal and become world no1.

- Had his 2016 momentum stopped by multiple bad luck injuries, and required hip surgery in 2018 and 2019, where he basically thought he couldn't continue any longer, only to come back again the same year and win a title.

Honorable mentions to Nishikori and Diego as well. Both players i also respect.
Became Knighted by the Brits. Sir Andrew Murray *

1 - 13 of 13 Posts