Mens Tennis Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was watching the Monfils/Fognini match on tv tonight, I decided to also prepare some vegetables in the kitchen, which is situated very close to the living room but not with a direct view. Every time that the commentators said "oh wow what a point", I ran towards the TV in order to watch the replay. But all I saw was Monfils ready to serve for the next point. Really?! What's the rush? It didn't even allow a replay for the millions of viewers all over the world. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy watching Nadal play, he's good for the sport allowing time for replays, analysis and statistics to be part of a tennis match. You can even have time for a quick pee and comeback to watch the next point. Anyways some players should use a little bit of extra time between points if only to think about where it is best to serve next, instead of rushing to hit the serve anywhere as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Nadal allows you so much time between points you've got to set the alarm so you'll wake up in time to see his next serve. You seem to forget that the underpinnings of tennis is continuous play, not vacation stop play

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nadal allows you so much time between points you've got to set the alarm so you'll wake up in time to see his next serve. You seem to forget that the underpinnings of tennis is continuous play, not vacation stop play
Don't exagerate. If anything it adds drama to the match. It's not a race.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Don't exagerate. If anything it adds drama to the match. It's not a race.
Sorry, my idea of drama is not yawning my head off between points - and even worse when you have a vid of the match, having continuously to move the play forward; there's only so many (few) times I want to watch someone go through the same old, same old ridiculous routine before serving

·
Registered
27,317 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be a serious discussion about players who start playing too fast between points when they're nervous or starting to lose.

Silly me.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,685 Posts
I think there was a similar thread about time between pts for different players and Dustin Brown was top or near top in terms of time. Kyrgios also seems to get things moving on serve quickly. Returners are allowed time to slow down play pace within reason. Federer is also quite speedy but he does wait for his opponents to be ready.

·
Bring it Home
20,704 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be a serious discussion about players who start playing too fast between points when they're nervous or starting to lose.

Silly me.
Me too. :lol:

I think there was a similar thread about time between pts for different players and Dustin Brown was top or near top in terms of time. Kyrgios also seems to get things moving on serve quickly. Returners are allowed time to slow down play pace within reason. Federer is also quite speedy but he does wait for his opponents to be ready.
Also Tomic.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Kyrgios I've seen.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts

Silly me.
Sorry to be off topic, but Tomic Wimbledon quarter-final 2011 against Djokovic is the perfect example of this. I honestly think he could've won if he buckled down and was patient for the entirety of that match.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Heh, yeah I noticed this today as well. After a while the game director stopped bothering going to the replays on Monfils' serve, even after a miraculous volley late in the 2nd.

But aye, I prefer the fast, continuous, uninterrupted action. I'm watching Tennis, not American Football.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
As I was watching the Monfils/Fognini match on tv tonight, I decided to also prepare some vegetables in the kitchen, which is situated very close to the living room but not with a direct view. Every time that the commentators said "oh wow what a point", I ran towards the TV in order to watch the replay. But all I saw was Monfils ready to serve for the next point. Really?! What's the rush? It didn't even allow a replay for the millions of viewers all over the world. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy watching Nadal play, he's good for the sport allowing time for replays, analysis and statistics to be part of a tennis match. You can even have time for a quick pee and comeback to watch the next point. Anyways some players should use a little bit of extra time between points if only to think about where it is best to serve next, instead of rushing to hit the serve anywhere as quickly as possible.

so elite professional tennis players who play in stadiums where spectators pay as much as USD10,000 to attend should now take as much time as possible between points to allow someone preparing veggies in the kitchen of a house in a Winnipeg suburb to watch tennis in entirely while working in the kitchen?

Practical solution which someone with sane mind should immediately think of:
put the TV in the kitchen while you are prepping veggies.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Playing too quickly is a gamesmanship. Trying to take advantage of your opponent not being ready to play the point. Not very nice and negatively affects the quality of the match.

Federer often does this to his advantage.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Playing too quickly is a gamesmanship. Trying to take advantage of your opponent not being ready to play the point. Not very nice and negatively affects the quality of the match.

Good post.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Good post.
Common ground between Rafole fans. Never thought I'd see the day. You two should gradually make up a peace treaty together at the watchable rate of one word per year.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Sometimes I wish players would take more time after a great point and let the crowd finish their orgasms, but other than that quick play is always appreciated.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.