Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
29,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in another thread someone talking about Tsonga's record on US soil.

Well it is a bad one. One quarter-final appearance at the USO, but his showings at IW, Miami and Cincinnati have been very poor by his standards and he has only ever got to the SF once in a tournament in the US- Winston-Salem 2012.

So it got me thinking are there any other players (not including home players who always play well in their own backyard) who always excel in a particular country or even a region, or perform way below their usual standard in it?

For example:

TSONGA- BAD (United States)
SODERLING- GOOD (France- two RG finals and a Paris-Bercy title in the French capital) and BAD (Australia- poor AO results every year, never passed round 3 in his prime and lost to Granollers one year to top it off)
HAASE- GOOD (Austria- Mr Kitzbuhel)

Any more?

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
USER in US and in every other tournament. ..

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Stan has a pretty poor record in Swiss tournaments. Hasn't won a match in Basel since 2011. :tape:

Also Isner sucks in every country that doesn't endorse Fox News.

·
29,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another one-

NISHIKORI- GOOD (Spain. 2 Barcelona titles, a Madrid final and semi-final on what was supposedly not his best surface)

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I noticed in another thread someone talking about Tsonga's record on US soil.

Well it is a bad one. One quarter-final appearance at the USO, but his showings at IW, Miami and Cincinnati have been very poor by his standards and he has only ever got to the SF once in a tournament in the US- Winston-Salem 2012.

So it got me thinking are there any other players (not including home players who always play well in their own backyard) who always excel in a particular country or even a region, or perform way below their usual standard in it?

For example:

TSONGA- BAD (United States)
SODERLING- GOOD (France- two RG finals and a Paris-Bercy title in the French capital) and BAD (Australia- poor AO results every year, never passed round 3 in his prime and lost to Granollers one year to top it off)
HAASE- GOOD (Austria- Mr Kitzbuhel)

Any more?
You can't simply dismiss the quintessential unbiased analyst as 'someone'.

Can't think of any other examples apart from those though. Maybe Baghdatis in Australia to an extent.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Good thread. :yeah:
As for Tsonga, it's strange because he has a great record in Canada Masters (1 title and 2 SFs in 4 appearances only) - while I guess conditions there are similar to US events. For the record, Cincinnati is the only big event (GS/WTF/Olympics/Masters) Tsonga has never reached the QFs at !

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Another one-

NISHIKORI- GOOD (Spain. 2 Barcelona titles, a Madrid final and semi-final on what was supposedly not his best surface)
These results are good but not unusually good for a player of Nishikori's level. He has won 500s elsewhere plenty of times and reached a Slam in the US.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Monfils in France could be a good pick :
Best Grand Slam result - SF at Roland-Garros 2008
Best Masters 1000 result - F at Bercy 2009 and 2010
Also he won 3 out of his 5 titles in France... :yeah:

·
29,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These results are good but not unusually good for a player of Nishikori's level. He has won 500s elsewhere plenty of times and reached a Slam in the US.
Perhaps, but in the other clay events he tends to get to QF at best.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Monfils in France could be a good pick :
Best Grand Slam result - SF at Roland-Garros 2008
Best Masters 1000 result - F at Bercy 2009 and 2010
Also he won 3 out of his 5 titles in France... :yeah:
From the OP:

(not including home players who always play well in their own backyard)
If home players counted, Isner would be the obvious pick, he's top 10 player on the US soil, not even top 20 outside it.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
From the OP:

If home players counted, Isner would be the obvious pick, he's top 10 player on the US soil, not even top 20 outside it.
I barely read the OP, sorry. :lol:
Gulbis in France works I think, especially in 2014 (titles at Marseille and Nice, SF at RG).

·
29,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
GASQUET- GOOD (Great Britain- two Nottingham grass court titles and 2 Wimbledon semi finals. Also played, for his standards, rather well at the WTF, making Djokovic and Del Potro work hard for 3-set wins in 2013)

This is a good omen for the French Davis Cup team ahead of the weekend, btw :p )

GULBIS- GOOD (France- Rayan has this one spot on- Marseille and Nice titles, RG SF and also his one other QF was there in 2008, losing to Djokovic also. Deffo a place he does well at)

·
Registered
21,900 Posts
Haase is 19-8 in Austria (12-2 in Kitzbühel) with both his titles hailing from there.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Seppi has done quite well in Germany: final in Halle 500, 1 semi and 1 qf in Hamburg Masters Series, 1 more semi in Hamburg 500 and his first pro title in a German futures in 2003. In German speaking countries, he also has a final in Gstaad 250, semi in Vienna 500 and title in Kitzbuhel. Given his career, that's quite a lot.
Then, he has done well in Eastbourne, where he has 1 title, 1 final and 1 semi in 3 consecutive years, too bad there isn't that tournament anymore. In Wimbledon he got just once to r4, so not great.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
No1e in NY/France

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Jarmere Jenkins in Australia. Tears it up in Australian futures and challengers more so than anywhere else.

Clay Thompson in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
No1e in NY/France
Can a mod confirm if this is 17-6-302's alt? Made before the Wimbledon final in case djokovic won so he could slink away (he hasn't been seen since, but maybe he's just on another long plane ride), a deep-seated hatred for Djokovic hidden behind a facade of national rivalry, and gave me a random rep complementing my signature, which 17-6-302 wrote for me and is the only one on earth who could be so egotistical as to think it worthy of praise.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Can a mod confirm if this is 17-6-302's alt? Made before the Wimbledon final in case djokovic won so he could slink away (he hasn't been seen since, but maybe he's just on another long plane ride), a deep-seated hatred for Djokovic hidden behind a facade of national rivalry, and gave me a random rep complementing my signature, which 17-6-302 wrote for me and is the only one on earth who could be so egotistical as to think it worthy of praise.
:lol: I think it is that douche

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Do you honestly think a 1-4 in USO Finals (coupled with his inability to win Cincinatti) and 0-3(practically 4) FO Finals should be considered "good" for the machine that is Novak Djokovic whose peak is suppose to be on level with Fedal according to most tennis greats?

Just reflects an overall lack of intangibles/mental toughness relative to the tier one players you all desperately try to put him with.

If he manages to reverse this trend in the upcoming years, I will stand corrected.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts