Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Lendl and Rios have been no1 before they won a major(rios never won) and they count. However I am also talking about players who were no1 but didn't win any of the previous 4 Grand Slams. I know it has happened a few times in the last decade or so in the WTA tour.

I think Djokovic has a chance to do this if he wins a couple of master series on clay before RG. Do you think its possible? Can Djokovic join the ranks of his female counterparts like Safina and Wozniacki? I think its shows Djokovic's consistency in smaller tournaments which is remarkable.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Too bad Nadal will still get Piggy roasted, just like Venus did to Safina at Wimbledon 2009.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I know Lendl and Rios have been no1 before they won a major(rios never won) and they count. However I am also talking about players who were no1 but didn't win any of the previous 4 Grand Slams. I know it has happened a few times in the last decade or so in the WTA tour.

I think Djokovic has a chance to do this if he wins a couple of master series on clay before RG. Do you think its possible? Can Djokovic join the ranks of his female counterparts like Safina and Wozniacki? I think its shows Djokovic's consistency in smaller tournaments which is remarkable.
wtf he made 3 slam finals last year :facepalm: you clearly opened this thread to bash on nole if you really wanted to know go GOOGLE it. an how dare you compare 6 time GS Winner to players of wta. And even if he did get the no 1 ranking without holding a slam it shows his consistency period given how great a year nadal had last year. MODS do everyone a favor an close the thread

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I dont understand the question or the point?

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
The first player to hold the No1 ranking without holding any of the 4 Slams is Jimmy Connors in 1975. Officially. Yet, it will soon turn out that Vilas was actually the player to hold the No1 ranking without any of the 4 Slams in 1975. Then, Connors did it once again in 1977.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wtf he made 3 slam finals last year :facepalm: you clearly opened this thread to bash on nole if you really wanted to know go GOOGLE it. an how dare you compare 6 time GS Winner to players of wta. And even if he did get the no 1 ranking without holding a slam it shows his consistency period given how great a year nadal had last year. MODS do everyone a favor an close the thread
I said this exactly, why are you getting mad at me? I GOOGLED it but it only showed Lendl and Rios, but I wanted it to know more. I used WTA players because there were no ATP players to do it recently.

I dont understand the question or the point?
try again you'ill get it.

The first player to hold the No1 ranking without holding any of the 4 Slams is Jimmy Connors in 1975. Officially. Yet, it will soon turn out that Vilas was actually the player to hold the No1 ranking without any of the 4 Slams in 1975. Then, Connors did it once again in 1977.
Thanks for answering my question. I suspected connors since he has so many weeks at no1 but only 6 slams.

Also Vilas was never no1? Is there another ranking system your using?

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Vilas was never officially number 1 because the ATP gave Connors the number one ranking during Vilas' best year. Also McEnroe was number one in 1982 even though he was clearly the third best in the world.

·
21,310 Posts
The same holds for the WTA players who reached #1 without holding a slam. It shows their consistency.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I said this exactly, why are you getting mad at me? I GOOGLED it but it only showed Lendl and Rios, but I wanted it to know more. I used WTA players because there were no ATP players to do it recently.

try again you'ill get it.

Thanks for answering my question. I suspected connors since he has so many weeks at no1 but only 6 slams.

Also Vilas was never no1? Is there another ranking system your using?
Officially he wasn't but he should have been.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vilas was never officially number 1 because the ATP gave Connors the number one ranking during Vilas' best year. Also McEnroe was number one in 1982 even though he was clearly the third best in the world.
wasn't their a point system at the time? How could ATP give someone the no1 ranking? If you had the most points, you were no1 but what was so complicated about that?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Slasher I read up on the controversy and the ranking system at the time seemed stupid. However It seems 1977 ranking was the one being protested not the 1975 ranking.

·
Rankings Master
16,039 Posts
Ok Slasher I read up on the controversy and the ranking system at the time seemed stupid. However It seems 1977 ranking was the one being protested not the 1975 ranking.
Patience.

MTF along with the rest of the world of tennis will soon learn the truth.:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts