Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain styles of play in the world of tennis that go with certain countries.

The most known are:

American - Big serve, big forehand. Flat hitter. Better on fast surface. Not the greatest mover around. Good frontrunner.
(Donald Young, Michael Russell, Wayne Odesnik)

French - Good ball striker. Aesthetically pleasing to watch with the flair. Not as strong mentally. Lacks the desire of a champion.

Spanish - Heavy topspin, plays from back of the court. Good on clay. Physically fit and mentally strong.
(Feliciano Lopez, Fernando Verdasco)

South American - similiar to Spaniard. Good on clay, physically fit and a good mover. Plays from deeper back than a Spanish player and is a bit more mentally fragile.
(Del Potro, Nalbandian, Falla)

East Asian/Indian - Quick agile mover, smaller player. Flat hitter, better on fast surfaces. Takes ball early
(Yuki Bhambri)

What are some others that go against stereotypes of the styles? Are their other stereotypes for nationalities that I did not list?
I am having trouble thinking of any Frenchmen not in their stereotype.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Simon is definitely not aesthetically pleasing to watch :lol:

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Gael Monfils doesn't really play like the french do.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gael Monfils doesn't really play like the french do.
he does have flair, but your right as far as strictly style of play.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Canadians - We either play American style tennis (big hitting, big forehand) or Australian style (serve and volley) but we are also mentally weak (Dancevic, Polansky).

So far Milos seems to play an American style of game and is mentally strong. Daniel Nestor in his prime played lots of serve and volley.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Looking backwards

Sweden - double-handed blond-haired baseliners (Edberg totally opposite with one-handed backhand and attacking attitude, unfortunately his hair aren't so dark as Soderling's hair ;))

"Czechoslovakia" - very high ball-toss before the serve, flat shots from both sides (I can't recall anyone against this stereotype)

Croatia - tall guys with big serves (Cilic's big serve ;))... Goran Prpic was a grinder

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
If there was a stereotype for Eastern European players, Dolgopolov has demolished it

Great thread btw.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
Raonic: Canadian singles players' style of play stereotype is they suck.

Reactions: NYCtennisfan

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Dodig has a decent serve but has never struck me as the typical Croatian player. His different style of play to past and current Croats is obviously due to his height.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there was a stereotype for Eastern European players, Dolgopolov has demolished it

Great thread btw.
what would the eastern european one be? I would guess similiar to the American style but with a stronger backhand than forehand.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you speak Italian in this page http://forum.tennisteen.it/discussioni-generali/4682-il-servizio-dei-tennisti-italiani.html they were talking about Italians' serves.
Thanks, was able to understand the opening post with a bit of help from online translations. I'm not familiar with Omar Camporese but I watched his opening service game against Becker here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIwbQzUPQ3Y and he appears to have an effective, though not particularly heavy, first serve. Good placement, though I'll have to watch a bit more to see how his second serve stands up.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
All Russian guys known as main-level players, have played double-handed backhand, no-one used serve-and-volley as a basic tactics.
Youzhny has a transitional backhand comparable only to Borg's one.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Raonic: Canadian singles players' style of play stereotype is they suck.
The thread is about people who against their national stereotype.:devil:

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Murray's double handed backhand. No doubt his years in Spain are to blame. No one plays like that in GB...at least not until Murray made it big. Henman/Rusedski minus the Canadian accent/Perry being the national stereotype.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts