Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of couse, anyone gets injured now and there, here and there, but which player would have achieved a lot more if not for injuries? I would say del Potro. He gets injured too often. Given the natural talent and skills he possesses, he should have won more than one GS title. Any other player you think could have done much more if he hadn't gotten injured too much?

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
This is the umpteenth thread on this topic. I might as well bump all my Del Potro threads.....

Peaking and facing peaking Nadal Wimbledon and Peaking Djokovic US Open and then shatters his knee.

His wrists were actually holding up... yeah but what can you do?

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Del Potro. No one else comes close, in recent memory.
But farther back in time, Kent Carlsson comes to mind. He was a truly greatly talented player who was plagued with knee problems that ended his career early and restricted him to mainly just clay tournaments. He won many titles despite being forced to retire when he was just 22.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Brian Baker. Obviously not slam-winning talent, but he could’ve been a solid top 50 player for most of his career had he not been constantly injured.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Tommy Haas also comes to mind. He was no. 2 in 2002 before he got majorly injured. Didn’t really come back full-time until 2004, and had a few major injuries after that as well. It’s very possible that he could’ve snuck out a slam win before Federer rose to dominance.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Not mentioned so far: Marat Safin, Mark Philippoussis, Nicolas Escude, Goran Ivanisevic, Gustavo Kuerten, Robin Soderling, Mario Ancic, Marcelo Rios, Patrick Rafter, David Nalbandian.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Del Potro is by far on the top of this list.
Then as mentioned above Kent Carlson, Escudé, Söderling, Ancic, Nalbandian, also Richard Gasquet (would not have won a GS, but maybe a M1000), Milos Raonic.
And from my country Steve Darcis, would never have a been a top 20 player, but could have stayed for years in the top 50 (also Kristof Vliegen comes to my mind, as he was as high as 30 at some point, but was almost all the time injured)

Among the next Gen, Chung and Kokkinakis are unfortunately taking this direction of being injured all the time...

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
Gasquet?

Don't tell that to Joachim Johansson, he would have loved a career as long, probably would have achieved a lot more than the French pusher.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nishikori would have gottten a couple of GS titles unde his belt by now. His match against Nadal in Madrid in 2014 is a clear reminder of his potential. He has been sidelined by injuries way too often to live up to his potential, though. If he had always been injury-free, he might have joined Big 4 making it Big 5 or even more. What a shame he was destine to suffer so many injuries in his life and now his career is approaching its twilight stage. I would've loved to see him spend a whole year injury free for once...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gasquet?

Don't tell that to Joachim Johansson, he would have loved a career as long, probably would have achieved a lot more than the French pusher.
Everyone is style but, Pim Pim was just a serve robot I always had the impression he would break his shoulder every time he was serving, so to be honest I have never been surprised by his injury, you could see it coming.

·
Premium Member
21,529 Posts
Well, pretty much anyone who got injured before or around his prime, not going to count those who did near the end of their career.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Gasquet?

LoL Gasquet isn't a pusher, just a standard mug. Johansson's soulless servebotting was painful to watch, he wouldn't have achieved more than countless other more effective servebots. That is, nothing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts