Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cant think of

Federer to Roddick
Nadal to Federer
Djokovic to Nadal

1) Fed-Less Roddick's Career

Without federer Roddick would have won much more on HC and GRass tournaments , which would be made up for quite a few wimbledons crowns(3-4), 1-2 USO more and maybe even 1 AO. Quite probably he would have retired as a 5-7 times slam winner instead of only winning a single one.

Roddick would have ended up 2004 as N1 and maybe in 2005 too (considering he would have won the wimbledon crown) and even snatched 1-2 Masters cup. He'd likely to have lost the Number 1 in middle of 2006 from rafa's hands (after the spaniard won rg and wimbledon back to back) So anything from 100-135 weeks would be quite reasonable for andy.)

Any other player whose career has been tainted that way?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Rafa didn't taint Federer's legacy and Nole hasn't tainted Rafa's legacy. Despite Fed's problems with Rafa he still has 17 Slams. Since 2011 Rafa has 4 Slams and Nole has 6 - not exactly that big of a difference.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Rafa didn't taint Federer's legacy and Nole hasn't tainted Rafa's legacy. Despite Fed's problems with Rafa he still has 17 Slams. Since 2011 Rafa has 4 Slams and Nole has 6 - not exactly that big of a difference.
Since 2011 Nole has won 5 and Rafa handed 4 trophies.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Oh yeah, 5 and 4. Even further adds to my point.

Pretty much everybody has been impacted by Federer and Nadal obviously. Andy would be seen as a hall of famer right now if it weren't for Roger being in his way so much. Hewitt, Nalbandian, and Davydenko would have had more success too.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh yeah, 5 and 4. Even further adds to my point.

Pretty much everybody has been impacted by Federer and Nadal obviously. Andy would be seen as a hall of famer right now if it weren't for Roger being in his way so much. Hewitt, Nalbandian, and Davydenko would have had more success too.
Yes thats true. But even without fed I dont see Nalbandian being so much succesful, he wast just not so much consistend, the same for safin. If there is one player than in absence than other more dominant would likely have showed up, It would have been Andy roddick. Hewitt and Safin problems werent only Fed, but also other players on the tour and their minds and focus. In the case of hewitt it was also his injuries.

Roddick wasnt stoped because of mentality, focus or injuries, he was always stopped because of fed, and in absence of the Swiss he would have achieved much more, specially on the 2003-2005 and 2009 wimbledon.

In the case of players like Fed, Rafa (and nole since 2011) we cant even doubt, those players pretty much consistently beat everybody when they are at their 50%, but they are dependant on motivation, health and inspiration to win their tournaments against eachother.

BTW I edited my initial post.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Roddick would have ended up 2004 as N1 and maybe in 2005 too (considering he would have won the wimbledon crown) and even snatched 1-2 Masters cup. He'd likely to have lost the Number 1 in middle of 2006 from rafa's hands (after the spaniard won rg and wimbledon back to back) So anything from 100-135 weeks would be quite reasonable for andy.)
Nadal would have taken the number one spot sometime during 2005 in my opinion. He was so good in Masters Series that year and finished with a 79-10 record.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
Nadal would have been no.1 for like 5 years in a row if not for the GOAT so I dont know what you're talking about

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
None.

The closest I can think of is Roddick. The rest of them are much needed rivalries for ATP otherwise.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Murray to Djokovic, those 2 slams have hurt his chances of getting into the top 5 of all time and really hurt his confidence in slam finals (1-4 in the last 5)

Novak wins those and he has 8 slams and is 3-2 in his last 5, things look very different.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Nadal probably would have won 5 straight Grand Slams (3 more overall) with Djokovic out of the picture. He may also have gone on an 8 of 9 Grand Slam title run, but still would have missed the calendar year Grand Slam. Add a year end championship and he practically sews up GOAT (at least of recent decades) status.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
None of those tainted anything. It's called competitive sport. What you win remains your legacy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts