Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example Verdasco had his 2009, where he barely lost to Nadal.

Wawrinka barely lost to Djokovic in 2013.

This thread was inspired by match of the decade...

I feel like there are more matches against the big 3 where non big 3 players had them on the ropes due to playing pretty super and just lost in the end.

Another one was Bennetau vs. Federer at Wimbledon.

Any other ones?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Del Potro vs Djokovic at Wimbledon

Same Del Potro vs Nadal at Wimbledon

I would say Medvedev vs Nadal but he wasn't in peak form in that match. And Nadal's form wasn't good either. But I guess it was close to peak. So that counts as well.

Del Potro vs Federer RG 09.

Del Potro has put so many peak performances and come up short.

Another one Wawrinka vs Federer at AO 17.
Nishikori vs Federer Ao 17
Nishikori vs Nadal at Madrid 14. He was in peak form , dominating until his injury.

Gulbis vs Nadal, I forgot which tournament. He was GOATing for 2nsets until he choked, and level dropped.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Roddick had a few for sure!!

Monfils i think v Fed RG...Nadal USO i think and v Djokovic USO for half match anyway

·
Registered
706 Posts
BO3:

BO5:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tipsarevic vs Federer AO 2008
Thiem vs Nadal USO 2018
I forgot about Nadal vs Thiem USO.
Dimitrov vs Nadal 17 as well.

Also Roddick vs Federer Wimbledon 09. Played better than Federer and deserved to win. Federer was already arrogant and overconfident by displaying that 15 GS jacket.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Del Potro vs Djokovic at Wimbledon

Same Del Potro vs Nadal at Wimbledon

I would say Medvedev vs Nadal but he wasn't in peak form in that match. And Nadal's form wasn't good either. But I guess it was close to peak. So that counts as well.

Del Potro vs Federer RG 09.

Del Potro has put so many peak performances and come up short.

Another one Wawrinka vs Federer at AO 17.
Nishikori vs Federer Ao 17
Nishikori vs Nadal at Madrid 14. He was in peak form , dominating until his injury.

Gulbis vs Nadal, I forgot which tournament. He was GOATing for 2nsets until he choked, and level dropped.
Yeah it sucks being a Del potro fan, the Big 3 always peak against him and play ridiculous tennis.

He has been denied two Wimbledons and another Us Open by Djokovic and Nadal.

2013 Wimbledon he was absolutely peaking. And barely loses to Djokovic.

2018 US Open denied by an in form Djokovic.

2018 Wimbledon, comes up against a peaking Nadal.

2013 and 2018 Wimbledon he had great chances to win them all with his level of play. ....

But such is the story of Del Potro. Injured for no good reason and then denied by peaking Big 3 when he is playing his best :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah it sucks being a Del potro fan, the Big 3 always peak against him and play ridiculous tennis.

He has been denied two Wimbledons and another Us Open by Djokovic and Nadal.

2013 Wimbledon he was absolutely peaking. And barely loses to Djokovic.

2018 US Open denied by an in form Djokovic.

2018 Wimbledon, comes up against a peaking Nadal.

2013 and 2018 Wimbledon he had great chances to win them all with his level of play. ....

But such is the story of Del Potro. Injured for no good reason and then denied by peaking Big 3 when he is playing his best :(
His main reason was his injuries , which cause his backhand to decline. It was actually a decent weapon in 09-10. That Del Potro had he sustained and consolidated his peak, would regularly be beating Djokovic and Nadal, as well as Federer. He might have won multiple GS(double digits in fact).
But the injuries caused his decline. He still came back several times. But years were lost, plus only occasional peak performances here and there. He's still consistent though , when he's healthy.

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Agree with whoever said Tipsarevic vs Fed AO 08, what a game

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His main reason was his injuries , which cause his backhand to decline. It was actually a decent weapon in 09-10. That Del Potro had he sustained and consolidated his peak, would regularly be beating Djokovic and Nadal, as well as Federer. He might have won multiple GS(double digits in fact).
But the injuries caused his decline. He still came back several times. But years were lost, plus only occasional peak performances here and there. He's still consistent though , when he's healthy.
Even in his below peak 09-10 his 2013 and 2018 level was good enough to win slams, but once again dealt with peaking players.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Even in his below peak 09-10 his 2013 and 2018 level was good enough to win slams, but once again dealt with peaking players.
I don't think Djokovic was peaking in 13. It was one of his lackluster years, and wasn't even his best grass performance. He lost easily to Murray.
His best performances came in 15 ,and 11. The only years which he actually deserved Wimbledon title.
I think Nadal's Wimbledon 18 was enhanced by an easy draw, plus bad scheduling and rain prolonging the match to two days, disrupting momentum , which ultimately helped Nadal in the end.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'll add some to existing examples:

Monfils vs Fed, USO QF 2014.

Thiem vs Nadal Monte, Carlo 2016, where Thiem had numerous BPs.

Verdasco vs Murray, Wimbledon 2013 QF. I know, I know, thread is vs big3, but at that moment big 4 was real, would've been a huge upset.

Tsonga vs Djokovic, RG QF 2012.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts