Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the way 2014 has unfolded so far, I think Tsonga, Ferrer (most definitely) and Murray are legitimate candidates....Waiting on Delpo upcoming return from his latest injury layoff to see how he fits in the tennis landscape..

The above are being slowly ushered out in favor of the likes of Dimitrov and Raonic as regular Second Week Slam presence and M1000 second-tier contenders..They should join Berdych there who seems to be stuck in that rut forever..

Have any other names?..

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
With the way 2014 has unfolded so far, I think Tsonga, Ferrer (most definitely) and Murray are legitimate candidates....Waiting on Delpo upcoming return from his latest injury layoff to see how he fits in the tennis landscape..

The above are being slowly ushered out in favor of the likes of Dimitrov and Raonic as regular Second Week Slam presence and M1000 second-tier contenders..They should join Berdych there who seems to be stuck in that rut forever..

Have any other names?..
You realise this Wimbledon was Murrays 14th consecutive slam QF? How is that being ushered out as a second week slam presence?

The guy had back surgery just at the end of last year. Let's give him a little more time before we completely write him off.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Among players who were once relevant factors at the top, Murray and Tsonga are both miles removed from their best days. del Potro will probably join the club next year unfortunately, the odds are against him making a comeback into Slam-contending level after a second major surgery.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Among players who were once relevant factors at the top, Murray and Tsonga are both miles removed from their best days. del Potro will probably join the club next year unfortunately, the odds are against him making a comeback into Slam-contending level after a second major surgery.
You forgot Ferrer, as irrelevant in the grand scheme as he were, I am not sure is capable nowadays to bullshit his ways to Slam QFs/SFs anymore..In 2014, the development has been that he is choking and unraveling to about every non-Big 4 he used to routine on his way to get routined himself in late Slam and M1000 stages....

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Yeah, I'd actually say Ferrer is playing better this year than last. But he's stepped up his choking 20 or 30 notches, and worse, he seems to implode and totally give up after choking much more than he used to. At Wimbledon even, he missed a slow second serve to go up 3-1 in the fifth on Kuznetsov and proceeded to lose 5 games in a row to lose the match. Also being broken immediately after missing a sitter to break in the third versus Nishikori and most infamously vs Nadal at RG.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
You forgot Ferrer, as irrelevant in the grand scheme as he were, I am not sure is capable nowadays to bullshit his ways to Slam QFs/SFs anymore..In 2014, the development has been that he is choking and unraveling to about every non-Big 4 he used to routine on his way to get routined himself in late Slam and M1000 stages....
He's playing just like last year, he's only losing to players who are more skilled than he is. He's actually done a bit better in the way of posing resistance to the better players, but he ends up choking anyway so it hardly matters.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm predicting that Murray takes stock of this loss, uses the hard court season to get into fighting shape, and wins the US Open - so I wouldn't agree with that assessment.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You realise this Wimbledon was Murrays 14th consecutive slam QF? How is that being ushered out as a second week slam presence?

The guy had back surgery just at the end of last year. Let's give him a little more time before we completely write him off.
Murray inevitable tumble in the ranking will make it harder for him to go deep in Slams as the draws gets tougher on him..He urgently needs results (M1000S and 500s wins); there are no signs of that yet..No finals in the past 12 months is pretty alarming..I think this Summer HC will be very telling but it's not looking good when he can't even sleepwalk his way to some MMs finals in 7 months..

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,194 Posts
Yeah, I'd actually say Ferrer is playing better this year than last. But he's stepped up his choking 20 or 30 notches, and worse, he seems to implode and totally give up after choking much more than he used to. At Wimbledon even, he missed a slow second serve to go up 3-1 in the fifth on Kuznetsov and proceeded to lose 5 games in a row to lose the match. Also being broken immediately after missing a sitter to break in the third versus Nishikori and most infamously vs Nadal at RG.
Ferrer has burned out mentally. He just gone up a few notches in my consideration for finally realising how boring his game is.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's playing just like last year, he's only losing to players who are more skilled than he is. He's actually done a bit better in the way of posing resistance to the better players, but he ends up choking anyway so it hardly matters.
You must have set the bar too low for him thinking that choking to Kuznetov and Gabashvili on Clay or getting outlasted by Nishikori twice in 2014 is no reason for concern as far as Ferrer is concerned :p..C'mon he used to destroy these guys on his way to the Big-4 slaughterhouse..

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

The guy chats shit and is just looking for something to say for when making a thread.

Showed his jealousy when everyone was having a decent discussion in the WWW thread for once and is now bumping all his threads and making new ones. ;)

Murray is ofcourse an easy target for anyone that wants to speak on this sort of 'who is past their best and should retire?' shitty, generic topic you get here on MTF.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
You must have set the bar too low for him thinking that choking to Kuznetov and Gabashvili on Clay or getting outlasted by Nishikori twice in 2014 is no reason for concern as far as Ferrer is concerned :p..C'mon he used to destroy these guys on his way to the Big-4 slaughterhouse..
He had lost close matches to Nishikori before, at USO and Olympics in 2012, nothing new there. And if you look at his results last year or 2012 there are random losses included there too, like Bogomolov last year for instance. It's just a product of the way he plays, he's always susceptible to a guy hitting big and not missing his shots.

If you look at Ferrer's 2014 apart from Wimbledon, he was stopped by Berdych and Nadal at the Slams (normal), Nishikori 2x, Wawrinka and Djokovic at the Masters (normal), what's the big deal exactly? He's even beaten Nadal on clay for a change and delivered some clay beatdowns on Dimitrov and Gulbis, whcich look impressive in hindsight considering what they went on to achieve after those matches.

·
10,277 Posts
What the hell... there are way worse off people than Tsonga, Ferrer, Murray.

Haas
Youzhny
Kohlschriber
Almagro

have had a shit year in comparison to those guys.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What the hell... there are way worse off people than Tsonga, Ferrer, Murray.

Haas
Youzhny
Kohlschriber
Almagro

have had a shit year in comparison to those guys.
Agree about Almagro, but Haas and Youzhny are well in their thirties and it has been thought that they were past their best for some time now. As for Kholi, as much as I like him he's never been relevant anyway.

I think it's way too early to put Murray or Del Potro in that category. It's true that Andy's ranking is worrying, but he just needs a couple of "soft" draws in the US campaign to stay in touch with Top 8 and then the post-USO period should see him rolling back towards Top 5. Even though he's not winning, he's not that far either and with the overall decline of the top guys he still a contender for any event, and even more so on the Asian swing. I could see him back in Top 4 right after Stan loses his AO points.
As for Juan Martin, let's bear in mind that his first surgery was a success, given that the fixed wrist has not been bothering him since then. Besides he's still young, so I don't see why the comeback should be harder this time. Actually it should be much easier, because with the much more even field a low ranking is not such a hindrance anymore. Just remember how long he got stuck around #9-12 last time, only because not being Top 8 he had to run into Big 4 guys earlier than his competitors.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Federer and Nadal

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Basically everyone in my sig :sad:...

Ferrer, Berdych and Gasquet's best days are probably behind them too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts