Mens Tennis Forums banner

More radical changes or less?

• Roger: The patient stance, let's see where things stand after this year...

Votes: 105 70.0%
  • Rafael: Radical visionary, the need to push things on and change the sport of tennis...

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • Both have equally strong and well reasoned premises...

Votes: 23 15.3%
1 - 20 of 692 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rafael Nadal has criticized Roger Federer for letting other players "burn themselves" by complaining about tour conditions while enhancing his own reputation by rarely making negative comments about tennis.

The pair have always been respectful rivals, but the ongoing debate about the overcrowded tennis calendar has exposed a difference of opinion on the eve of the Australian Open.

After telling a pre-tournament news conference Sunday he had no intention of being the frontman for the players' grievances because it has reflected badly on him in the past, Nadal was then critical of Federer in a Spanish-language interview.

Responding to the suggestion that Federer disliked players complaining openly about problems on the tour because it tarnished the image of tennis, Nadal said he took another view.

"No, I totally disagree," he said in comments translated from Spanish. "For him it's good to say nothing. Everything positive. 'It's all well and good for me, I look like a gentleman,' and the rest can burn themselves.

"Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions."

Nadal and No. 4-ranked Andy Murray are among the players who have been outspoken in recent months on issues including an overcrowded calendar and the scheduling of Davis Cup matches. Some players have talked of strike action as recently as Saturday's player meeting in Melbourne; Nadal has said players may have to resort to "strong action" if there isn't an "evolution" in the calendar.

Federer and Nadal, who has 10 Grand Slam titles, dominated men's tennis for the seven years before Novak Djokovic won three of the four majors in 2011 and passed them both for the No. 1 ranking.

They're both key ambassadors for the tour, helping with promotional work and appearances at tournaments around the globe.

Nadal thinks that when the majority highlight problems on the tour, the intention is to make it better, not run it down.

"He likes the circuit. I like the circuit," Nadal said. "It's much better than many other sports but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be better. It doesn't mean there are some things about the tour that could change. The tour is fine, but there are some things that are bad. That's all we're saying.

"And the vast majority of players have this same opinion. He's got a different opinion ... if the vast majority have one opinion, and a small minority think differently, maybe it's them who are wrong."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/tennis/01/15/nadal.federer.australian.ap/index.html

Harsh words, Rafa :eek:
Can any Spanish posters confirm this, or have the original Spanish interview? Can't recall ever seeing Rafa say harsh words about Roger.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Re: Nadal, Federer rift emerges at Australian Open

Nadal :facepalm:

Complaining about schedule and then playing exhos and non mandatory clown events :eek:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts

Their candlelight date at Doha didn't go well, huh?

That's why Roger looked angsty.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nadal, Murray and Bogomolov :shrug:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

"And the vast majority of players have this same opinion. He's got a different opinion ... if the vast majority have one opinion, and a small minority think differently, maybe it's them who are wrong."

I don't know if I believe this statement. Do many players, even lower ranked players, actually support a less busy schedule?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

"vast majority"? which "vast majority"?
I can name Nadal,Djokovic,Murray or maybe Roddick.But seriously i don`t remember a Berdych a Ferrer,a Tsonga or any other top player complain.And the rest of the tour certainly won`t complain as they need lots of tournaments to get their paycheck.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

But this is GREAT!!! :D
Exactly what this rivalry needed...Now get angry Roger and lets see some trash talk ;)
(though unlikely as you may have to keep your gentleman image!)

On a serious note, cheap shot Rafa. First of all, its not the "vast majority of players" who have this problem, its "a few elite, big headed Top Ten players who want everything designed for and around their health and wealth" who have this problem. And secondly, to say Federer doesnt complain because he wants to pretend to be a gentlemen is really lame. Federer is many times the ambassador for this sport than Nadal has been. He has shown more concern for ALL players, higher and lower ranked notwithstanding and he is the guy who has so often tried to popularise tennis in nooks and corners of the world.

Raf, Roger is not a whiner unlike you. Just accept it and move one :p

Reactions: dabeast

·
Banned
3,655 Posts

Federer didn't say 'nothing', regardless. He said that he couldn't support a reduced schedule, even though it would benefit the top guys, because it wouldn't benefit the tour overall and 'he wouldn't be able to look people in the eye'.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

I like it, I like it a lot. Regardless of what he says about Federer is true (I could certainly see it) I'm glad he honestly gave his opinion. Curious as to whether the maestro himself will respond.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts

Their candlelight date at Doha didn't go well, huh?

That's why Roger looked angsty.
God, what is that? Is Roger evolving into an asymmetric unicorn?

·
Registered
21,336 Posts

I will actually take Nadal's side against Federer! I mean Nadal is pretty whiney now that he's not winning so easily, but Fed is such a passive aggressive backstabbing bitch.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

I will actually take Nadal's side against Federer! I mean Nadal is pretty whiney now that he's not winning so easily, but Fed is such a passive aggressive backstabbing bitch.
:facepalm:
Do you even have an opinion on stuff?
Or do you just suck up to the people who Murray dislikes less:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,895 Posts

Drama Queen this Nadal, seriously.

Yeah, and other users said it before me, the vast majority wouldn't be on his side here. It would only favour 3 or 4 guys in the Top 10 only.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

The guy is just plain selfish. Who's the "vast majority" apart from Roddick and Murray??

What Fed has said in late 2011:

We now have many 28 [player] draws in the ATP 250 events, we don't play three-out-of-five-set matches in the ATP Tour anymore and we will end the season earlier next year.

We need to see what happens as a result of these changes before making any new changes.

we need to do what is right not just for the players but also for our tournaments, who are our partners in the management of the game.
Good riddance to Nadal as VP.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

+1 for sensationalism.

To be fair reporters and fans do this with Federer's comments as well. It seems Nadal is starting to find his own feet as an adult who thinks for himself. I don't personally care much about what he says on this matter because he complains yet still does exhibitions, but that is beside the point. Tennis is more interesting when the players speak their minds and stop adhering to the PR coaching.

1 - 20 of 692 Posts