Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whether MTF will be able to enlighten us on this topic as some may have not been watching tennis or even born...

Tennis has had its fair share of super talented players, some are are top 100 level athletes, others winning small titles, and others are contesting for the biggest titles and making tennis history. In the 2000s Federer, Djokovic and Nadal have denied a diverse group of players from being grand slam champions, as highlighted by @IBM 's Thread

I'm curious about the pre 2000s people. Were there any talented players that stood out that just consistently denied due to having to face a Sampras, Agassi ,Borg ,Mcenroe, Laver, Pancho Gonzales?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Becker, Ivanisevic and Courier. Sampras denied both Becker and Ivanisevic each 2-3 Wimbledon titles (Becker: 93, 95, 97; Ivanisevic: 94, 95, 98). Agassi also denied Ivanisevic the 92 title.

For Courier, he denied Jim around 2-4 Slams (AO94, AO95, USO95, FO96) as well - basically Courier could have reached ATG status without Pete. Don't forget that Courier beat Agassi 6 times in a row including one straight-set victory in 1995, and came close to beat him in AO96 as well.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Arthur Ashe had to contend with Laver and Rosewall and then Connors and Borg.

If he'd played in a less competitive era, he would have won more big tournaments.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Arthur Ashe had to contend with Laver and Rosewall and then Connors and Borg.

If he'd played in a less competitive era, he would have won more big tournaments.
Don't forget John Newcombe in 1974. Lost to Rosewall twice - Wimbledon and US Open, who then got thrashed by Connors, who was literally Rosewall's worst matchup ever. I mean, Rosewall's weakest point was serve while Connors' biggest strength was ROS - this guaranteed a disaster for Rosewall.

·
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim Henman , could have had Wimbledon Center court named after him if no Sampras Agassi :LOL:

·
justice for all
15,114 Posts
Patrick Rafter and Goran Ivanisevic were denied a few slams by the great Pete Sampras.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts